•  
Advertise here

Re-gearing 2014 JK unlimited Sahara 

I would appreciate any guidance for a goods garage or a list of garages for re-gearing my car. I have 2014 JK unlimited Sahara. 

I also looking to do some upgrades for bumpers and lights.

Many thanks,

Marwan

To stay completely unbiased to safeguard every Carnity member's interest, we have restricted brand promotions and sharing of car business details here.

As in past, many car businesses have motivated Carnity members to promote their brand and products by flooding meaningful discussions.

Hence we have decided to stay focused on practical, relevant, and unbiased solutions, rather than the solution providers. 

Thank you for your understanding.

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Re-gearing is very intense topic, before the estimate I personally think you need a proper research and discussion with people who have done and chosen specific Dana model and why. I'm not educated on Jeep gearing choices, but making a right choice by knowing someone who have changed and happy with it is very important, than just reading the marketing brochures and sales pitch - which 99 out of 100 times is just opening a door for parts canon. Ex: though you got bigger gear, so you need bigger this and that and many other ancillary products that you have never heard off and you continue to buy and install due to "sunk cost fallacy".

I have suffered from bad or lazy gearing in my 2006 4.5 Patrol SWB whereas my cousin plonked the 4.8 Patrol LWB gear and was happy in hill climb but faced some constant issues (cant recall exactly).

So first you answer these questions or find out the answer of these question and then decide.

• Are you upgrading/changing for sand or rock or both?
  • Is your vehicle still under warranty?
  • What are the serviceable challenge you might face after the upgrade?
  • Local dealers are supporting the after sales service after installing them?
  • What all other upgrades or changes are needed to reap the actual benefits?
  • Has anyone installed same gearing to solve the problem that you are after?
    • See the person with your eyes solving the problem than fictional character.
    • Discuss the whole journey with that person who have gone through and how you can learn from his mistakes.
    • Get an estimate of time and money from them and see if its worth the actual benefit.

Finding a seller and installer an easy - google job.

You can find a clear winner with this approach:

• Read google reviews, don't just fall for rating, as when you start reading the review you can actually skim the fact from fake (good reviews) or usually sad customers (bad reviews).
  • Shop who have done similar job before and they can either show you cars or photos of the similar job.
  • Shop who give maximum guarantee and warranty (at least) - 90% will laugh at you, when you ask this and only 10% real guys will answer this with technical details and limitations - go with them.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST

When you gather all above info in terms of time, cost, hassle, chance, good luck, stars, competency etc.

Do consider if you swap your car with better performing model = better, safer and economical route....?

• Like (+1) 2

much appreciated Gaurav. 

Basically I am running on 33s on 17' and I believe I am not getting full potentials/torque on steep big sand dunes. I did some decent researching and it seems re-gearing is my solution.

I have a 2014 JK unlimited Sahara.

I would appreciate it if anyone had similar problems to share his experience.

45 minutes ago, Marwan Haddad said:

much appreciated Gaurav. 

Basically I am running on 33s on 17' and I believe I am not getting full potentials/torque on steep big sand dunes. I did some decent researching and it seems re-gearing is my solution.

And by any chance you are running BF Goodrich too?

Heavier AT tires is great for rocks but not friendly for sand long hill climb, as axle is rotating almost double the weight on each side that limits the sand hill climb substantially.

I know bigger and knobly tires look great but once you embark on that route you will do double the amount of mods especially power mods to get stock car hill climb.

Take a step back and fully understand what your car currently has vs OEM and if you really want to continue with that setup for whatever choice or preference you may have by considering the trade-off that you are experiencing now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

1 hour ago, Marwan Haddad said:

much appreciated Gaurav. 

On Fewbie level I think it’s too soon to make this statement. Climbing big dunes is not just about power but also about the proper technique of learning to choose the right line and approach momentum. A 3.6 Pentastar Wrangler has more than enough power to make it through.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 5

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

3 hours ago, Gaurav said:

And by any chance you are running BF Goodrich too?

Heavier AT tires is great for rocks but not friendly for sand long hill climb, as axle is rotating almost double the weight on each side that limits the sand hill climb substantially.

I know bigger and knobly tires look great but once you embark on that route you will do double the amount of mods especially power mods to get stock car hill climb.

Take a step back and fully understand what your car currently has vs OEM and if you really want to continue with that setup for whatever choice or preference you may have by considering the trade-off that you are experiencing now.

yes I am using BF Goodrich.. they were on the car when I bought it. So would you recommend to use lighter ones for sand. if yes, which ones you recommend?

3 hours ago, Frederic said:

On Fewbie level I think it’s too soon to make this statement. Climbing big dunes is not just about power but also about the proper technique of learning to choose the right line and approach momentum. A 3.6 Pentastar Wrangler has more than enough power to make it through.

I felt a decent difference just by reprogramming the gear last week as the garage advised me the gear need to be reprogrammed post upgrading tyers and it seems the old owner did not do that. However, he advised that to get the full potential given the tyers size re-gearing to 4.11 is advised. I meant big from a Fewbie perspective,. so its relative :) 

I agree with Fredy (part I missed) that fewbie level is all about finding your sweet spot and learning to use correct lines, approach angle and momentum. So don't rush to any conclusion now, just work on your skills and see if heavier tires really holds you down. Pay extra close attention to cars in front who are making certain climbs and try to replicate the same as much as you can.

Second point I also missed that its Pentastar (Thanks Fredy) as I was under the impression of older JK with 4.0 engine that is known to be sluggish and added with oversize BFG is a recipe for disaster - which is not your case.

Whatever you decide make sure you do lot of research and don't simply go with off-road garages suggestions as these ppl love to sell anything to anyone whether you need it or not and secondly it might open a new can of worm as explained above.

What I meant to say is that, re-gearing is a very serious choice that you need to make with careful evaluation of all pros and cons than just one person or garage advice.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1