•  
Advertise here

2015 Grand Cherokee - Engine - Valve lifter issues

Hi Jeepies,

I want your recommendation for a reputable garage that can take the engine apart of a 2015 Grand Cherokee with 3.6L engine. I believe everybody knows about the ticking sound issue related to the valve lifters in this engine.

A close friend of mine bought this vehicle from agency in 2015, so far he has changed the diff and gearbox under warranty (which really raises big question marks on the quality Jeep is building) and recently he started having the ticking sound from the engine and it's getting worst by day... All this and the car is still under 100K km. I'm worried that the lifters have already damaged the cam shaft/rocker arms or other components as the noise can be now heard from a distance...

Obviously it is out of warranty, and the agency is requesting ridiculous amount to fix it (might be cheaper to buy a new one), and he has reached me for help in recommending a good garage.

I appreciate if you can give us some advice.

@Gauravdo you have issues if we get a recommendation for a list of multiple garages?

38 minutes ago, Lawrence_Chehimi said:

@Gauravdo you have issues if we get a recommendation for a list of multiple garages?

As you might know, we have completely stopped such brand recommendations since last year to prevent spamming.

Hope you can get these recommendations on any FB or WA group.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@Lawrence_Chehimi Had my 2015 JGC started making the ticking sound into ~140K kms and ~5.5 years.. Its a known issue with 3.6 pentastar engine and is to do with the rocker arms...  I think Jeep fixed this issue for the cars post 2015.. From my experience and what I have read online, it doesn't affects the cams immediately though the sound gets scarier.. But at some point it can damage the cams...

I had mine fixed after running with the sound for arnd 20k Kms.. It cost approx 10K to 20k to fix at agency depending on the damage....In my case, car was out of warranty but still got goodwill approval from FCA done through the agency where I ended up spending only 3.5K which came along with 6 basic oil change services included.. in my case the car had full service history with the agency..... I would suggest to try the luck with agency for a good will approval..

Edited by S Jacob
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Yes unfortunately 2015 JGC 3.6 has this problem while v8 version doesn’t because of the upper location where this ticking sound comes from . 
I myself faced this problem twice got my JGC 2015 once below 100k Km which was fixed under warranty and the second one last summer before I join Carnity and spent a fortune to fix it in agency .and probably this was one of strong reasons Beside others that I didn’t bring it to the desert and I got my X instead . 
about nonagency repair I am not sure about it as this vehicle is so sophisticated. Till now no issues as the family car .

Edited by M.Seidam
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Thanks @M.Seidamfor sharing your experience as well. I told him to speak to the agency now and try to get a goodwill approval. Just we hope the damage is in the rockers and didn't extend further.

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, Lawrence_Chehimi said:

Thanks @M.Seidamfor sharing your experience as well. I told him to speak to the agency now and try to get a goodwill approval. Just we hope the damage is in the rockers and didn't extend further.

FCA has given @S Jacoba brand new JGC as replacement when his old car which was still under warranty, started emitting weird burnt smell from ac vents and thereafter he had the good fortune with the dealer of getting all repairs under goodwill. So good luck to your friend.

Edited by Naveen Raj
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Lawrence_Chehimi said:

Just we hope the damage is in the rockers and didn't extend further.

I hope that too . Good luck for your friend 🙏

• Thanks (+1) 1