•  

Morning Fewbie Plus Desert Drive - Solar Park - Dubai - 24 Sep 2021

Wrangeld

Hi All, 

image.png.aaf325798c1b71bf476d4351ad08d5a1.png

I will post the meeting point later - still deciding on the best meeting point: Warning, it will be further than usual - plan 20 minutes minimum from Last Exit. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Thank you Richard @Wrangeld for the new wonderful area for the drive. It was really free flowing except for some occasional stoppage which did not affect the fluency at all. Good mix of technical, crisscrossing and side slopping in the drive which made it really interesting. @Niki you as SL made it much easier to follow. thanks @M.Seidam @marksfor all support and advise. Good to see @Sunil Mathew @Adhir Saxena@Rawad again and hope to meet all of you in the sand very soon.

After thought: Should have taken all the wires / cables we found there in the desert, with the current copper prices could have fetched a fortune😁

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

Post Drive Report

Small but beautifully formed - that's my conclusion on today's convoy. A great group, driving in harmony reaching impressive heights of technical knowledge and capability. 

As it turned out this was pretty  much a discovery drive. Exploration in the desert is something we should do much more regularly - but we rarely get the opportunity and I am grateful to all of you for sticking with what ever the drive had to offer from start to finish. 

With great support from @marks @M.Seidam and @Niki I knew that what ever the drive threw at us could be managed and in truth any issues were dealt with so quickly that the convoy of @Anoop Nair @Sunil Mathew @Adhir Saxena & @Rawadbarely stopped for breath through the whole drive. 

It was so soft in places that it was hard to believe, and quite honestly, the conditions for what was advertised as a Fewbie Plus were at the higher limit of that rank. We rode ridges, crossed dunes and navigated some technical sections, slide sloped and crossed sabkahs. 

Highlights for me? In no particular order

• I am really pleased that we took the difficult route back into Solar Park. Most drives would take the dirt track all the way back to the end point. The problem with that is it's tedious and if you're a following car you are driving in very fine dust for kilometers. It was not an/the easy choice and was in my view, the right one. 
  • Virgin sand. So much of the route today was on completely virgin sand. In anywhere near to Qudra that's quite unusual. Perhaps it's not the same at the back of the convoy as at the front, but the fact that we explored meant that the sand was pretty much clean as we got there.
  • Freedom close to the AD border. With the borders having come down, the fear of a massive fine is lower now. While we did not get anywhere close to the restricted area, the fact we could roam was a nice change. \
  • The teamwork, spirit and discipline - especially @M.Seidam guiding everyone out individually from the soft sand bowls and @marks and @M.Seidam guiding me on the cross over where I was not 100% sure about which way to turn.

So, thanks to all. I enjoyed the drive, enjoyed your company (OK- there was a lot of radio quiet time; which I always regard as very positive) and your skill and attention. 

Hope to see you soon in the sand. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 4
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Conquest of solar park 

Several times we either crossed it from or to Faqa in the past but never actually , for me , looped it the way we did today with Richard . What a conquest to version sand as no one was there before . I liked it a lot .

with late two drop out left the convoy even more compact within a strong chain it’s front was our friend Richard @Wrangeld who lead us in an exploration mode that felt so exciting to all of us . Thank you Richard for this amazing day. There was no way to miss it 😄.

@Niki finally we met and it was an absolute pleasure . Driving with you being our second lead was perfect . I will remember the few tricks in capturing clicks 😊

@Anoop Nair @Sunil Mathew and @Adhir Saxena I drove with you guys before and again today our quest was just great . @Rawad driving a beast at the back through all this churned soft sand and at times in super tight technical i rarely heard you  on radio which says it all . Perfect and keep it up bro.

@marks last time we were in area 53 and here we go another quest together in team Carnity . Thanks for watching our back and for all the help.

I would say it felt different . Felt as if every one understood the game and the loop we did so nicely and with great spirit . 

cheers and wish you all great week ahead 

• Thanks (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

@Wrangeld THANKYOU!  That was a brilliant trip, challenging and truly an exploration.  

Appreciate your choices throughout…. Immediately seeing a ridge and riding it from the first minute (exfoliating my skid plate) to avoiding the dirt track as we exited and allowing us to enjoy 30 mins of technical to end. 

@M.Seidam finally I get a chance to drive with you and what a pleasure and education (will not wait this long again)  … super support throughout from yourself and @marks - calm, assured and patient! 

@Anoop Nair @Sunil Mathew @Adhir Saxena @Rawad you guys were  superb and cannot wait to be on a trip with you guys again soon! 

thanks again all for what was a perfect Friday morning drive!  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

A little late for the report here,  but nevertheless, penning down something to give life to this thread for another day, before it gets buried in the archives :-)

So, it was a great drive with all challenges built in , the fiercest being the soft sand bowl with some tight maneuvers where i got stuck and needed a tug out, despite guidance from @M.Seidam and @marks, thanks for the support. and thanks to @Wrangeld for the tug, One snippet i learnt while the tug was getting connected - Richard chose to use steel shackles with the screw pin,  along with the soft shackles and my inquisitive brain prompted to ask him why, as i have seen many times in this forum that steel shackles are not safe to use always. But then the clarification came that if we need to release one of the shackles under slight  tension in the rope, a screw pin shackle would be the choice. so that was an eye opener for me, along with inaugurating my brand new recovery ropes and shackles.

We rode some ridges, crossed some , past sabkas  and offcourse some technical at the end to finish off in style.

Thanks for the 2L @Niki, i was missing the Dad jokes from you and Richard after the infamous "condescending" drive we had ..didnt hear much on Friday :-) !!

@Anoop Nair  @Adhir Saxena @Rawad, good to drive with you again, and see you soon!!

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Sunil Mathew said:

Thanks for the 2L @Niki, i was missing the Dad jokes from you and Richard after the infamous "condescending" drive we had ..didnt hear much on Friday :-) !!

@Sunil Mathew I promise you, on our next drive to bring back the dad jokes… just remember you asked for this!!! :)  

That said, a guy at the ENOC car wash asked me how I make my car so shiny after off-roading and I replied, "Polish."

He then said, "Sorry. Jak sprawić, by Twój samochód był tak lśniący?"

• Haha (+1) 2

Important Information

Terms of use