•  

Morning Newbie Desert Drive - Sweihan - Abu Dhabi - 1 Oct 2021

Wrangeld

@Wrangeld i will not be joining for the drive tomorrow. I already exit the event day before yesterday itself. Sorry for the inconvenience.. I'll try to join for the nxt week.

Thanks.

Post Drive Report

Coming from Dubai to Sweihan always feels like an adventure. Even though driving from home to Fossil Rock or Pink Rock takes just a few minutes less, the drive feels a lot longer: with the promise of the amazing Sweihan dunes at the end. 

Despite a detour because I forgot where to go for petrol (sorry @Jeepie) we were able to get under way quickly and ... drive into a fog bank with really limited visibility. Undaunted [we decided to treat it like a night drive during the day] we started, very tenatively  finding our feet in the sand. The fog cleared quickly (I bet the majority reading this have all forgotten about the fog!) 

42km later, our Newbie troup exited,with a slightly unfortunate brake problem taking us away form this incredible playground on time (honestly we woud probably have overstayed our welcome had that not happened!)

We had a good drive. Very few significant stucks, some great self recoveries, lovely views and great focus from everyone. 

Support was impeccable from @Jeepie and @Alex Raptor. Great second lead from @mikaeel shaik

Some specific feedback, possibly a bit limited because I did not really have a chance to focus on every driver at length. Hopefully there will be contributions from others.  

@mikaeel shaik great 2nd lead. We almost got through a full drive! Really impressed with how you handle the MG. 

@Mohamed Aashiq Salahudeen our absolute newbie. You did well. Yes, you had some refusals, but you need to treat every one of them as a learning experience. Taking waht you learned today to your next drives will be massively valuable. 

@Mohammed Yazir Thattarathil first of all, great car ... a great drive all round, expecially considering you had a very full car. Please, get your brakes looked at ASAP.

@Mohseen Suliman it's not easy learning how to drive a manual in the desert. Your level of control requires more work than us lazt automatic drivers. Good job today. It's clear you are learning drive by drive. 

@Walter Palk glad you had a chance to try the tricks and tools on the FJ today. A-track is a great asset in your vehicle - please spend the time to learn more about how it can help you. Another few mintes of patience and more practive, you would have made it out of the stuck without assistance. I put you at the back so you could deal with churned sand and you handled it well. 

@Ferl Brown real improvements from the drive on which I last saw you. Remember - gravity: don't fight it. You have to get that dialled in to your subconscious.

@Johannes Roux second drive out with you in as many weeks! I think the fact that I heard very little about the grey Prado says a lot about how you are developing as a driver. And I hope the bumper can be sorted easily. 

@Christopher Assal thanks for giving @Nabeel Abdul Rahman a great line to follow and showing immense restraint the whole day. Your experience is invaluable on a drive and the fact we could shift you to sweep, when we needed help is appreciated. 

@Nabeel Abdul Rahman with a perfect example in front of you, you drive really well (a combination of both of you doing a great job).

Thanks to you all for a fun drive and a great energy throughout. 

See you soon in the sand. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Thanks @Wrangeldfor the positive feedback ,happy I could be of use and thanks for leading us so well again. Also  thanks to @Jeepieand@Alex Raptorfor the great support, as always a pleasure seeing you both in action.

Was a different drive to recent for me as has been a while since I did a newbie. I won’t lie seeing the fewbies in the distant and the lines they took in Sweihan had me a little envious to say the least but I also thoroughly enjoyed the pace in the new area , assessing the desert and different shape of the dunes with its steep slopes and high wind banks something to be careful of in the future. Was a personal exploration drive in a way for me while taking part in a newbie convoy.

Also enjoyed watching and learning the support team guide newbies through refusals and how advice was given to new comers in handling their 4x4’s in tricky situations . Something I hope to be able to assist with more in the distant future after completing my needed drives towards intermediate and beyond.

We we’re lucky in the morning with mist and how it firmed up the sand but once it dried up and the sun came out I appreciated just how super soft the sand can be in the area , more so then Badayer I think, also how beautiful it is! I am absolutely gagging to get back out there. 

@mikaeel shaik great drive from you I heard that you are a capable driver and I also was very impressed with your handling of the MG in that super soft sand.

@Nabeel Abdul Rahmani kept my eye on you the whole time and you handled your patrol really well today. Just remember to be careful in the rear of the convoy in the churned up sand , always requires a little more thought and attention when driving to where you are putting your vehicle. Also too, get your radiator protected soon but really nice drive from you .

@Walter Palkfirst time I have seen A track in action! Brilliant, once you learn how to use that tool properly will be fantastic for you never seen or appreciated it before myself. Really impressed with it. 

Lovely morning all round thanks to everyone. Enjoy the rest of the weekend! Safe driving all.

Oh and I saw my first black camel, I didn’t even know the existed! 😍😁

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use