•  

Morning Fewbie - Passion Play - Action Photography - Big Red - Sharjah - 08 Oct 2021

Gaurav

5 hours ago, Frederic said:

I would advise the following, but i am merely a beginner, so please correct me if i made a slip up:

- Use Shutter Priority Mode (TV on Canon Cameras)

- Lock your shutter speed to 1/500 or 1/1000.

-Leave ISO on AUTO.

- If the object is moving, you activate Burst mode. In combination with Continuous Focus Mode will make it easier to get sharp shots.

- Set your aperture to F20 or something to start with, at least everything in the distance will be sharp as well.

I'm a beginner too. I believe F20 aperture will not be enough to have a proper exposure at 1/500 or 1/1000 shutter speed. All you will capture is a very underexposed image with lots of digital noise with the timing for the drive. Winter is approaching and light conditions to shoot at that aperture and shutter speed at the proposed time will be with a very high ISO. Probably the camera will not even open and close the shutter at these settings on shutter priority except on Manual mode. Burst mode is what is recommended as you mentioned is perfect. It is enough to keep the aperture at F11 and camera to choose the shutter speed to keep everything in focus. Don't exceed the ISO beyond 1600 or max 3200 to get a fairly usable picture. By the way all these settings will only freeze the picture and will not give you the motion feeling. To tell you the truth if you mount the camera on a tripod and slow down the shutter speed to less than the focal length of the lens the effect you capture will be mindblowing. It will give you the motion feeling. @Frederic I hope you know the technique which photographers use to capture the motion of flowing water rather than freezing the water droplets. 

Kindly don't be offended by my comments but a little motion blur will make the picture WOW (not the camera shake blur)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Thanks Thomas for your tips.

I'm still beginner from many years and still passionate to learn more to explore. My last best friend is Auto mode. I know many hate it or laugh but that saved me many times when I'm not getting the results that I'm after.

My passion for photography revolves around doing something different, capturing unique moments (fast, macro, etc.), magnifying the beauty of any sport, object, plant or animals.

• Like (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Everybody has commended on the lenses and camera they have. Nobody even mentioned if they are bringing their tripods. To capture a good shot of the action you need to be at a safe distance and for a close up you need a good telephoto lens with focal length exceeding 150mm to shoot from a little far. I didn't see many of them having that lens except the 1st 2 in the list. 

7 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Thanks Thomas for your tips.

I'm still beginner from many years and still passionate to learn more to explore. My last best friend is Auto mode. I know many hate it or laugh but that saved me many times when I'm not getting the results that I'm after.

My passion for photography revolves around doing something different, capturing unique moments (fast, macro, etc.), magnifying the beauty of any sport, object, plant or animals.

Dear @Gaurav nothing wrong in shooting in Auto Mode. All other modes are creative modes. Shooting in Auto mode is like driving your car in D mode. All you have to do is press the shutter or the accelerator in your car when you tackle the dunes. You don't choose anything except click the shutter at the appropriate time, same as pressing your accelerator. The camera takes pictures for you just like the car chooses the gear for you. Fun is when you need to create a special effect. Don't bother about results. Now a days its all digital. You can adjust the settings just like you put your car in manual mode and experiment. Why should anybody care what pictures you should shoot? Just like its your car you are driving and its your wish how to use it, its your camera and you shoot what you like.  

This is what I have in my mind boys and girls, to keep the mindset ready and what to expect on that day.

image.png

Action Shots:

• Camera 1 - Will focus on entry shots, usually with bumps or two tires in air.
  • Camera 2 and 3 - Will focus on sand splashing shots while doing sideys - front and back of each car.
  • Camera 4 - Will focus on exit shots with sand rolling from back or simply scenic shot with tall dune in the background.

Non-action shots:

• Car close up shots
  • Driver on wheel
  • Group shots
  • Scenic composition
  • Creative experiments

@Thomas Varghese will try and experiment with whatever we have and I'm sure in end everyone will have fun.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

4 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

This is what I have in my mind boys and girls, to keep the mindset ready and what to expect on that day.

image.png

Camera 1 - Will focus on entry shots, usually with bumps or two tires in air.

Camera 2 and 3 - Will focus on sand splashing shots while doing sideys - front and back of each car.

Camera 4 - Will focus on exit shots with sand rolling from back or simply scenic shot with tall dune in the background.

@Thomas Varghese will try and experiment with whatever we have and I'm sure in end everyone will have fun.

For sure it will be fun. How I wish I could be in that drive to click. But @Kailas drive in Sweihan is more tempting for 2 reasons. 1. I have never driven in Abu Dhabi deserts. 2. After the drive I can just head to Ghayathi to visit my daughter and son in law. By the way last time I visited her I noticed some beautiful deserts in that area. I mean outstanding landscapes which nearly prompted me to say khalli walli just drive into those dunes and forget visiting my daughter. Hope Carnity will organize a drive in that area soon. 

24 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

image.png

Action Shots:

• Camera 1 - Will focus on entry shots, usually with bumps or two tires in air.
  • Camera 2 and 3 - Will focus on sand splashing shots while doing sideys - front and back of each car.
  • Camera 4 - Will focus on exit shots with sand rolling from back or simply scenic shot with tall dune in the background.

Non-action shots:

• Car close up shots
  • Driver on wheel
  • Group shots
  • Scenic composition
  • Creative experiments

The vehicles looks like a Jeep...thanks @Gaurav for predefining my position...steam wash it is on Thursday ...😃

• Haha (+1) 2

Good morning, all!

I am absolutely gutted that I didn't know about this ride and shoot 😭 😭 😭 . I must have missed the announcement. I would just love to join but I'll be out most of the night Thursday doing some astro shooting and then going camping Friday night for more astro. Can we please try this again in future? Please 🙏🏼 ?

If I were going to give any advice I'd say to try to go with an aperture of f/11 or f/13 to start, with a shutter speed of at least 1/250th if you want to freeze some of the spraying sand. If you want really freeze the spraying sand a faster shutter speed will be better, but you'll need to make other adjustments to allow for the reduced light that a faster shutter brings. I would not go less than f/8 on the aperture, though, as you risk getting more of the foreground and background out of focus, which isn't what you want if you want to freeze the spraying sand. I'd rather bump up the ISO than open the f-stop, but how high you can go without getting noise will depend on your camera. As the sun rises rapidly though, that will be less of an issue. Also, be sure to keep your camera on high-speed shooting; the more frames you click of this fast driving action, the better the chances of getting something you love.

A cool thing to try would be panning; it's a little tricky but the results can be really cool. The car itself will be in focus and everything else will be blurred. This isn't the same as just having a wide open aperture (f/2.8 or wider), which would just 'unfocus' the background; this is like an action shot and with sand blurring from its own movement and your movement of the camera. This is a handheld action where you use a slow shutter (1/60 or 1/30) and a smaller aperture (f/16 or f/20-ish) and 'pan' your body with the moving object (the car) which blurs the background (the spraying sand). The smaller aperture will cut the light you'll get from having the shutter open longer. Usually that results in clearer backgrounds, but in this case it won't' since you'll be panning the camera. The ISO can easily be adjusted, but again with the early rise of the harsh sunlight, it won't be as much of an issue. Here's a nice article from Canon on how to do it, and I really think this could be a fun thing to try out in the sands. 

Again, please please 🙏🏼  can we try to schedule this again soon? I'm just so sad to be missing it 💔

Best of luck everyone; looking forward to seeing the shots!

Sam

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Thanks Sam, for great advises, will try our best to experiment as much as we can.

Surely we will have many more such drives and once we experiment this first one, we might open to all cars to just join us for action shots even if they arent photographers.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

So far Camera and lens list coming up are impressive

1. Gaurav          Nikon D750 + 28-300mm (f3.5-5.6G) Nikon ED VR lens
  2. Varun            Nikon D5100 with a 50mm, a 50-200mm and a 18-50mm lens
  3. Nathan         Fujifilm XT-4 with a 24-80mm
  4. Chinthaka     Sony A6600 camera with 18-135 Lens
  5. @Gilbert Khalil        Please update
  6. @Mohamad Anwer      Please update
  7. @Richard Franks      Please update
  8. @Veedooshee      Please update
  9. @Ilya      Please update
  • Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use