•  

Afternoon Newbie Desert Drive - Love Lakes to Murquab - Dubai - 09 Oct 2021

Foxtrot Oscar

10 hours ago, Foxtrot Oscar said:

We drove with zero issues for such a long spell that I decided I would take some more challenging routes. You handled them too. We did a little ridge ride on a nice, low , curved dune and even managed a criss-cross. Quite remarkable for a newbie convoy.

First and the foremost credit of such remarkable drive goes to lead careful planning, understanding the convoy, and positioning them in the perfect order - which often goes unnoticed. 

So well done Angela, keep it up.

And then second credit goes to each capable driver and teamwork roped with faith, respect and knowledge to trust each other as a good team player.

Se well done to all great drivers and support members.

Angela, congrats on the first nose dive, as every lead need few story with their scars to share the action.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

What a drive!  >60km in the desert, 1.5 hours in the dark! Stunning white endless dunes with us seemingly the only people in the desert, driving into the sunset and then experiencing a night drive in a sea of tight technical dunes! @Foxtrot Oscar you upgraded all of us a level and the drive brief didn't do the trip justice - thankyou again for being ambitious and sticking to it - i can only imagine how exhausting it was as the thought and care upfront vs us following is considerably different. 

@Wade Pat2 was flawless and gave all of us so much confidence following him. 

the first half of the drive, if it wasn't for a faulty Diff-Loc - every refusal was self recovered!  Ending the drive and looked around, i have a suspicion there are a few seniors' badged as 'newbies' :) - for those of you that want to transfer past off-road experience and move to 'fewbie' sooner, have a look here on how to do that: 

@Pacific thank you for all the support at the back and saving me a few trips!  @Zedi will 100% be catching you for a chat in our next drive, love your humor, support and yelling - its why we make a good team! I cannot wait to make my pilgrimage to AD and your home town very soon to return the support!

@Goh KP  (I apologize for addressing you as 'Prado' - i will look to learn names at the start of drives) @Gertjan and @Brendan White you all were incredible for a first 'newbie' drive and I would put the credit for the route we took and the extension down to you 3 giving @Foxtrot Oscar the confidence to keep challenging.

@Mohammed Mansoor @Alexanderrr @salah2u @AlexM @Daniel Rodas @luis mantecon - I saw you all just having fun and making light of the challenges being at the back end of a long convoy!  super driving.

Thank you ALL for the patience as we extended the trip, the support throughout and great communications which made the few challenges we faced a breeze to overcome. 

7PM today next drives are posted - hope to join you all again very soon

• Like (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Thanks a lot @Foxtrot Oscarfor an epic afternoon-sunset-night drive, thanks a lot also to @Nikiand @Pacificfor their great support, you guys make us feel safe. The drive had it all, instructive, fun, challenging, everything, well done !! Congrats to all drivers, you did it amazingly during this Newby with extra vitamins drive!! 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

On 10/10/2021 at 9:21 AM, Zed said:

Well I was expecting a walk-in-the-park easy newbie drive, hence brought the Y62 with its owner (a.k.a.  wife), but got a bonus of 3-in-1 drives:  newbie afternoon, upgraded fewbie criss-cross, then fewbie night drive 😁  We arrived back in Abu Dhabi at 1am safe & sound, but that was quite a good weekend adventure...

Thank you to Marshal @Foxtrot Oscar , I like learning from different marshals and the way you visited _each_ car to check on us was quiet comforting... though you probably didn't have to go all the way to the back, we Fewbies in the back were enjoying the view, having nice coffee, and got your back 👍   I may have jinxed your drive by commenting, "Next upgrade is gonna be a Night Drive" , so I'll stay quiet next time 😂

Thank you Center Support @Niki , just like in a football game, the Center Forward is key 😃 We listened to the radio while you guided those who got refusals, and these folks self-recovered nicely thanks to the clear advice. I need to learn to get this "Radio Voice", I think when I was guiding people it might come as shouting to those who never met me, but actually that's just my normal voice tone 😂  We didn't get to chat much as it was hot at 3pm and it was late & sweaty at 9pm, but let's chat before the drive next time...

Thank you Sweeper Prasanth @Pacific , I think we made a good team. @luis mantecon and I had a different view of pulling the flying-wheel Pajero, but your way was proven correct 👍 That comes with experience, *respect 👮‍♂️  Also I'm so used with the Amber Lights in my LC100 when night-driving, but struggled a bit with the Y62 stock lighting, very happy to have Light Support from the back with your array of lights that can fill-up a toy store 😁  It sure helped when I got that mini-refusal when picking the wrong terrain to climb.

@Mohammed Mansoor & @salah2u : great Y62 driving, you did not disappoint the brand 😁  @salah2u you need to get that Diff Lock fixed my brother, the importance of the Diff Lock is explained in my post here >> 

@Goh KP : I think you had a few refusals, but don't immediately believe if someone says it's because of your 2.7L engine. I have driven (actually borrowed) a Prado 2.7L engine and drove it up in Sweihan. The key is to drive it manual which I'm sure you'll learn as you progress through... or I could show you if we meet again in another drive 👌

To the rest, it was a very good crowd, nice driving with the tribe 👍

@Zed

since u also got y62, and many other  members drive Nissan i thought of sharing my experience of how mine got fixed

took it to Nissan dealership, they plug-in their computers, and the expression was they synchronised the ABS. It’s was fixed by computer, no parts were changed.

what they also said if something of similar nature comes up after desert drive, give it few days and drive on auto and the system will automatically resync all sensors and what ever works with it.

I had been driving off road for many years and also had few patrols, but never seen ABS lights in past.

regards,

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 10/10/2021 at 9:59 AM, Niki said:

What a drive!  >60km in the desert, 1.5 hours in the dark! Stunning white endless dunes with us seemingly the only people in the desert, driving into the sunset and then experiencing a night drive in a sea of tight technical dunes! @Foxtrot Oscar you upgraded all of us a level and the drive brief didn't do the trip justice - thankyou again for being ambitious and sticking to it - i can only imagine how exhausting it was as the thought and care upfront vs us following is considerably different. 

@Wade Pat2 was flawless and gave all of us so much confidence following him. 

the first half of the drive, if it wasn't for a faulty Diff-Loc - every refusal was self recovered!  Ending the drive and looked around, i have a suspicion there are a few seniors' badged as 'newbies' :) - for those of you that want to transfer past off-road experience and move to 'fewbie' sooner, have a look here on how to do that: 

@Pacific thank you for all the support at the back and saving me a few trips!  @Zedi will 100% be catching you for a chat in our next drive, love your humor, support and yelling - its why we make a good team! I cannot wait to make my pilgrimage to AD and your home town very soon to return the support!

@Goh KP  (I apologize for addressing you as 'Prado' - i will look to learn names at the start of drives) @Gertjan and @Brendan White you all were incredible for a first 'newbie' drive and I would put the credit for the route we took and the extension down to you 3 giving @Foxtrot Oscar the confidence to keep challenging.

@Mohammed Mansoor @Alexanderrr @salah2u @AlexM @Daniel Rodas @luis mantecon - I saw you all just having fun and making light of the challenges being at the back end of a long convoy!  super driving.

Thank you ALL for the patience as we extended the trip, the support throughout and great communications which made the few challenges we faced a breeze to overcome. 

7PM today next drives are posted - hope to join you all again very soon

Nikki's gentle touch

wmv-001-YouCut_20211010_105736501.gif

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Important Information

Terms of use