•  

Morning Fewbie - Skill Development - Long Hill Climb - Nahel - Abu Dhabi - 08 Oct 2021

Mehmet Volga

Off-road Skill Development Drive – Long Hill Climbs

Every car’s power-to-weight ratio differs, just like every driver's skill, precision and control. With the specific aim of improving this off-road skill, this drive will focus on maximizing climbing ability on long hills, by practicing the correct line of attack, and maintaining momentum (even through the bumps).

So, it's time to extract every pony from your car at the right time and the right place to conquer big hills, with targeted guidance and a focus on safety. This drive will have more playtime than usual, focused tall dunes to let you learn the secrets of the successful long hill climb.

What you'll learn

• How big a difference the correct line of attack can make.
  • How to create and maintain momentum before you start your hill climb.
  • Lowering tire pressure slightly to find the right hill climb balance.
  • Experimenting with the right gearing for your vehicle to maximize climb capability.
  • Gauging the correct and safest moment to abort when momentum fails.

General Info

This drive is organized in full compliance with the COVID19 guidelines. We expect every member that joins this drive to go through below information and and strictly follow these guidelines in order not to jeopardize someone's health, and to ensure we can keep organizing these drives safely.

MUST READ AND TOTALLY AGREE: 

Drive Details

Level: Fewbie and Above 

When: 08 October 2021 Friday

Meeting time: 6:00 AM (SHARP - Without any exceptions)

Meeting Point:  https://goo.gl/maps/UzBCVx144tTFMBFH9

Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 8-10 inches of ground clearance.

What to bring along: Loads of water, snacks (for yourself), smiles, face mask, rubber gloves, enthusiasm and willingness to learn.

Approximate finish time: 10.00 AM

THIS IS A COMPRESSOR ONLY DRIVE. PLEASE DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THIS DRIVE UNLESS YOU HAVE A COMPRESSOR. ANYONE ARRIVING AT THE DRIVE WITHOUT A COMPRESSOR, FLAG, PROPER SHOVEL AND DEFLATION KIT WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO JOIN THE DRIVE. ALL TOW POINTS WILL BE CHECKED BEFORE DEPARTURE. 

LIMITED SPOTS AVAILABLE:
  • Limited to 10 cars only. RSVP will close on Thursday - 9 AM.
    • If the RSVP is full and you wish to join, please mention your name on the drive thread to add on the waiting list. 
  • Latecomers will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Members without RSVP will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Please withdraw your RSVP, if you aren't joining, so your spot can be taken by others.
  • Repeated no-show members after RSVP will have their account suspended for a month.

PLEASE RSVP THE BELOW IN THE EVENTS  CALENDAR

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Warren Flay said:

This looks to be an absolutely brilliant idea! Why aren't people queueing up to join?

Yup, there are a lot of small details that goes into a making a good successful hill climb, and these skills become very useful as you go up the ladder to IM drives where the terrain would demand entering and exiting out of big dunes and bowls. Knowing when to floor the gas pedal, choosing the right line, etc are the key ingredients.

Also, this drive is not about who can climb the highest, but rather how to get the maximum out of your current ride.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

And 90 out of 100 offroaders miss on these basic ingredients and keep strapping ton of mods (mostly wrong ones) or keep changing vehicle for that unicorn who can climb moreeb from standstill.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

42 minutes ago, Warren Flay said:

This looks to be an absolutely brilliant idea! Why aren't people queueing up to join?

@Warren Flay I think we have been spoilt this weekend as there are so many great drives planned for the same day… @Mehmet Volga don’t take the light turn out as this is not of interest… I am desperate to practice and learn this skill!  The photography drive, the exploration in Faqa opening up again, AD rides and then this!!! We need to repeat this weeks plans over the coming months :) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

4 minutes ago, Niki said:

@Warren Flay I think we have been spoilt this weekend as there are so many great drives planned for the same day…

And lot more to come every week.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@Mehmet Volgai will miss this drive with you, I have joined the fewbie plus drive with @Kailas, as I need to improve on my ridge riding and criss crossing skills.
Obviously I will have to learn the tactics to take my Pajero to those tall dunes but that remains less priority for now.

• Like (+1) 1

@Niki is right that the new thematic drive concept of Carnity offers amazing options attracting different passions of the drivers. But as @Gaurav said, there will be more of these every week so the drivers will have chance to catch each within the winter period in front. 

@Warren Flay SD drive concept may evoke to someone lecturing about boring technical issues rather than driving. However our plan indeed is to have a fun bucket of AD dunes sauced with technical tips to improve off roading skills. As mentioned in the drive post, there will be more playtime than usual. But for now; shhhhh ... enjoy the short convoy ;)

1 hour ago, Naveen Raj said:

@Mehmet Volgai will miss this drive with you, I have joined the fewbie plus drive with @Kailas, as I need to improve on my ridge riding and criss crossing skills.
Obviously I will have to learn the tactics to take my Pajero to those tall dunes but that remains less priority for now.

No worries my friend. We will drive together again soon. There will be plenty of more. Enjoy your Fwb+ adventure 💪

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

@Mehmet Volgaas we approach winter I can see so many options are opening up for drives especially after the border opened up . This drive is so much of what I require to try and maximise on my pajero which I usually struggle to crawl up to big dunes . I have pinned on fewbie plus with @Kailasthis Friday but definitely will join next week if anything similar is on the table ….. but I wish I had two cars to try both drives 😍😍…..

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, Mus_hus78 said:

@Mehmet Volgaas we approach winter I can see so many options are opening up for drives especially after the border opened up . This drive is so much of what I require to try and maximise on my pajero which I usually struggle to crawl up to big dunes . I have pinned on fewbie plus with @Kailasthis Friday but definitely will join next week if anything similar is on the table ….. but I wish I had two cars to try both drives 😍😍…..

Sure @Mus_hus78 you will have opportunity to join one of these in the upcoming weeks. Not immediately next week maybe, but you will 👍 You are right that this topic is critical especially for Pajero drivers.

To join two drives at the same time, you would also need two drivers. So no need to have two cars for now ;)

• Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use