•  

Aftermarket Air Filters vs OEM Air Filters... Myths and Facts

Frederic

I recently found a study that was done in 2015 that showed pros and cons of Aftermarket Performance Air Filters. The specifically look at the power gains and fuel economy. 

The results and outcome might be surprising for many. You will find the detailed report in the attached PDF.

image.png.058520a1d4d9c7f6332c1bc6d2be2db7.png

1-s2.0-S2212017316301475-main.pdf

• Like (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

OMG, you DID NOT use Elsevier to compare air filters, did you @Frederic 😂 Now who can beat a peer-reviewed paper except another PhD 😅 Btw how do you still have access to the subscription, the only reason I still have mine is probably they forgot to delete my academic account 😁

• Like (+1) 1

Very interesting read and the results. Due to the higher pore size in K&N filters you do get better throttle response and probably better gas mileage at lower rpms than a OEM paper filter, but the filtering efficiency takes a big hit.

Now imagine the damage, a reduced filtering efficiency (meaning more sand passing through the filter into the engine) while driving in the desert. It certainly points to an early demise of your engine. Definitely, not worth it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

1 hour ago, Zed said:

OMG, you DID NOT use Elsevier to compare air filters, did you @Frederic 😂 Now who can beat a peer-reviewed paper except another PhD 😅 Btw how do you still have access to the subscription, the only reason I still have mine is probably they forgot to delete my academic account 😁

I found it by coincidence after one of my many sleep deprived Google Sessions :) 

The biggest risk in my opinion is the chance that an aftermarket airfilter or Cold-Air-Intake system can get loose, or the filter medium can get damaged, leading to possible intake of sand with a devastating result.

For Offroad purposes, and after trying a K&N filter that needed extra oiling and maintenance, i decided to stick to my OEM air filter and clean it regularly.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Adding to the already scientifically-sound paper and good advice from both Sri and Fred is this video to prove the excellent Sand Filtration point of Paper-based filter (OEM):

• Like (+1) 1

Now for my opinion why these non-OEM filters exist (but not necessarily why you should use them):

1. SOUND. Most  manufacturers (Toyota, Nissan) want to make Silent Cars, so they add Resonator (absorb sound) and Paper Filters (maximum filtration). People being people (what’s the fun if my car is the same as yours 😁) want that Revving Sound. These performance filters, as @Srikumar has mentioned have larger pores, or let more air pass through. Additionally when installing, the OEM Resonator is usually removed, so no more air restriction. It’s like vacuuming your room with a 1000w vacuum, all that air (and dirt!) gets sucked in, which leads to the next point…

2. Little (again, little) performance 😁. More air coming through fast, more call for computer to pump fuel and cause faster combustion for the power needed to push car. BUT this makes sense in Yas Marina circuits (or Dubai Autodrome), because in drag race, you only cover a short distance so any small performance tweaks count. But for regular sand offroading, over long term yes those sand particles that didn’t get filtered out may cause you to do engine rebuilds after some time.

In short:
a. if you have recently bought new car, don’t do it, keep it at stock paper-based air filter. You will also break warranty if you modify this.

b. if you have older cars that you want to experiment with, again don’t do it unless you like that revving sound. I put mine in the old LandCruiser cos I want to hear more of its V8…. And also planning an engine rebuild end of year, so yeah expecting to clean sand particles from my engine later 😂

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Zed said:

Now for my opinion why these non-OEM filters exist (but not necessarily why you should use them):

1. SOUND. Most  manufacturers (Toyota, Nissan) want to make Silent Cars, so they add Resonator (absorb sound) and Paper Filters (maximum filtration). People being people (what’s the fun if my car is the same as yours 😁) want that Revving Sound. These performance filters, as @Srikumar has mentioned have larger pores, or let more air pass through. Additionally when installing, the OEM Resonator is usually removed, so no more air restriction. It’s like vacuuming your room with a 1000w vacuum, all that air (and dirt!) gets sucked in, which leads to the next point…

2. Little (again, little) performance 😁. More air coming through fast, more call for computer to pump fuel and cause faster combustion for the power needed to push car. BUT this makes sense in Yas Marina circuits (or Dubai Autodrome), because in drag race, you only cover a short distance so any small performance tweaks count. But for regular sand offroading, over long term yes those sand particles that didn’t get filtered out may cause you to do engine rebuilds after some time.

In short:
a. if you have recently bought new car, don’t do it, keep it at stock paper-based air filter. You will also break warranty if you modify this.

b. if you have older cars that you want to experiment with, again don’t do it unless you like that revving sound. I put mine in the old LandCruiser cos I want to hear more of its V8…. And also planning an engine rebuild end of year, so yeah expecting to clean sand particles from my engine later 😂

SOUND is indeed one of the main reasons why many are biased to believe their car has suddenly more power because they hear more ROAR. The manufacturer indeed engineers these things with minimum noise in mind, which is NOT what we want of course :)

Perhaps a snorkel would generate a more resonating sound, and with the air being sucked in from a higher point it might suck up a little less dirt, compared with the intake being at the front grill, or in the Pajero's case in the wheel well.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use