•  
Advertise here

4 LO or 4 HI, that is the question...poetic huh:)

Hello team, my first 2 drives, i used to set on 4HI with 2/1 gear. I felt the car does not have much power specially desert hill climb. My 3rd drive, I tested 4LO with D/2,  I had more torque and obstacles were easily conquered. My question is, is this safe for the transmission or gear? Experts please advice. Thanks

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JAISROCK said:

Hello team, my first 2 drives, i used to set on 4HI with 2/1 gear. I felt the car does not have much power specially desert hill climb. My 3rd drive, I tested 4LO with D/2,  I had more torque and obstacles were easily conquered. My question is, is this safe for the transmission or gear? Experts please advice. Thanks

It's good you ask. The answer is very simple. You should always drive in 4H in the desert, and only use 4L for when you are stuck. 

Driving in 4H in the desert is quite easy, as long as your tyres are properly deflated. How much was your tyre pressure ? For All Terrain tyres you can bring the pressure down to 12PSI, while with Highway Tyres you can put it at around 14-15psi.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Deflated my tyres to 10-12psi, i have size 285/70/17 on BFG. I dont know, it just i was running out of juice on hill climb. Lets see how i progress with your help and the whole team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Hi @JAISROCK.. everydrive u will get better control and know more about ur car and develop your own style.. the important things is to avoid damage or unnecessary stress to your engine and transmission.. so stick to 4H and play with your transmission to find the balance. If you drive an automatic transmission car I’d advise to leave it on D and don’t play with it for now.. later on you can start shifting down on steep climbs. If it’s manual then u need to shift to higher gear to gain momentum and avoid the engine break and then shift down at the right moment to regain tourney.. hope this helps.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

22 minutes ago, MUHAMMAD Kashif RAZZAQ said:

I see you drive a 2009 SWB, so do I. 2009’s 200Hp 3.8L engine is renowned to be under-powered. It’s the reason they switched to a 285Hp 3.6L post 2012. 
Nevertheless, with the same 3.8L, I have been able to scale Iftar Bowl, Super Bowl and several other mighty hill climbs. But I was able to do so only after failing countless times. It took time for me to learn my car, and I believe it’s exactly what you have to do to overcome your issue, Learn your car. Through trial & error, learn the sweet points of your car, such as the tire pressure etc.

Here’s what I do that allows me to scale such tall dunes:

1, Tire pressure: 8 Psi rear, 9 Psi front. I have Geolanders (a bit lighter than BFG)

2, Remove the J6 fuse to completely switch off Traction control and ABS (Now I got a Kill Switch, easier)

3, I drive in 4H, in D. Switch to 2, when I see an oncoming climb, switch to 1 several seconds into the climb.

Since it’s under-powered, it needs a run up to get that torque to kick in. That’s why, keep ample distance from the car in front and keep a lookout what’s coming ahead. 
When approaching a climb, 50-70 Meters prior to it, switch to 2 and press throttle to the floor (Safely ofc, watch out for Bumps!!). This is done to get those RPMs up high (I usually go 4.5k+). Once you get onto the climb and your car faces the sky, and the RPMs start to drop, shift to 1 (Timings should be precise, make sure RPMs don’t drop too low, I shift at around 3.5k, you can only master this through practice). It’s the 1st gear that keeps you going throughout the climb. Wiggling the steering wheel also helps a bit with traction. And thats pretty much it, after mastering the techniques, you won’t face any such hill climb issues.

Oh and switch off AC compressor before the hill climb for some extra Push 😂

This is really valuable information!!! Directly from the same car/ year model owner. I was puzzled on this really for many months now. I couldn't find this information from YouTube. The group I was driving with before, I was the only one with wrangler so there's a bit of disconnect in that aspect if you know what I mean. Well done Guys! Looking forward to meeting and riding with all of you!

• Like (+1) 1

Gentlemen, I got a chance to drive privately in Qudra last night and I have tried to stay on 4HI but really, I am running out power with D/2/1, and it is only light trails huh.

So, If I will just keep using 4LO with gear D/2, will it break anything in the long run? What can happen? I have transmission cooler and fan installed, so I feel this will stay cool, and I've never had heating issues ever since they were installed.

I would appreciate your advice, Thanks

Read your owners manual for the same instructions advised above.

With continuous LO gear use your transfer case and/or transmission may last for 3-6 months.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Guys I got the opportunity to drive with @Wrangeld Richard & @Alex Raptor. Very technical indeed. I applied all your suggestions and I think I got it. Combining when to push and have a momentum. 🙏🙏🙏

thanks to all!

• Like (+1) 1