Desert Champions Trophy - 2021

Hi, I enjoy taking vids of my ride: a good memory and learning opportunity. 

I have a GoPro Max capable of shooting 360 videos, yet used only in normal camera mode (called Hero for GoPro users) hanging inside teh car from the windshield with a suction cup. I would like to experiment with 360 mode and camera placements outside the vehicle. I have some questions for those of you using similar setup:

• My camera, when exposed to sun it soon overheats and shutdown. It's not a problem now as in hot days the a/c maintain the temperature. When you place your camera outside the vehicle, how do you help it not to overheat ? 
  • The battery doesn't last for a full drive .... so I end up now keeping it powered with a USB cable. I guess placing it outside the car will just require a long enough USB cable, any other solution you found ? 
  • What extension pole/cable to use ? What's the best method to anchor it to the car (I have seen clamp, suction cups, magnetic... ) ? 

Thanks a ton in advance and meet you all soon in the sand

Paolo 

• Like (+1) 2
7 hours ago, PaoloMaraziti said:

My camera, when exposed to sun it soon overheats and shutdown. It's not a problem now as in hot days the a/c maintain the temperature. When you place your camera outside the vehicle, how do you help it not to overheat ? 

My Gopro8 and Insta360X2 never had such issues, worked well when hot... wait for the winter drive

The battery doesn't last for a full drive .... so I end up now keeping it powered with a USB cable. I guess placing it outside the car will just require a long enough USB cable, any other solution you found ? 

First, check that Gopro can film while charging. GoPro8 definitely can't. Options you can consider:

1. Cable
  2. Remote control via app or controller (my GoPro8 still consumes a lot of power even in standby mode, Insta360X2 can live in standby during the drive easy)
  3. You can just manually start filming when you see that interesting moment/nice location is ahead, and switch it off when someone is stuck or have a pop-out (you won't wait long🤣) I use this approach, I have also fixed my GoPro close to the window, so I can switch it on while driving)

What extension pole/cable to use ? What's the best method to anchor it to the car (I have seen clamp, suction cups, magnetic... ) ? 

You need Delkin TRIPLE Fat Gecko Three-Arm Suction Mount (not ideal, but best available on the market) and Insta360 Selfie Stick (the best one, in Virgin it only 59 AED and its perfect)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1
5 minutes ago, Ilya said:

First, check that Gopro can film while charging. GoPro8 definitely can't

Thanks so much @Ilya

In case anybody wonders as well, I can confirm the GoPro MAX does record while charging, which is a welcome plus. But indeed the overheat is an issue. I will give a try to the setup ! 

• Like (+1) 2

Budget hack: mount an old iphone inside the car and install dashcam software.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

I really doubt GoPro will heat up outside, as I used to use gopro a lot earlier and operate with phone wifi app to start and stop as Ilya mentioned and it never overheated.

Maybe because when car is in motion even in summer gopro able to dissipate heat outside and have breeze to cool off than on dashboard - where its stuck without much ventilation and also under constant sun from windshield.

My both phone (android and ios) heats up while using gaia, so I keep one phone in cool box as standby.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Good morning, I've been using my GoPro 9 during summer time, didn't have issues with overheating @PaoloMaraziti, yes the temperature is higher but never stopped working. I am using the delkin mount as @Ilya mentioned and found the best after buying other types and wasted money on them. I control the camera through either the phone or remote, to record and stop. Even doing that battery last for about one hour and half depends how many videos are recorded, and I am not sure temperature also affecting. I have always 2 spare batteries which I charge at home before leaving. What @Gaurav mentioned is 💯 correct, when I use the phone for recording track temperature goes high, and keeping the camera on dashboard will make it more hot

• Like (+1) 2
21 hours ago, PaoloMaraziti said:

Hi, I enjoy taking vids of my ride: a good memory and learning opportunity. 

I have a GoPro Max capable of shooting 360 videos, yet used only in normal camera mode (called Hero for GoPro users) hanging inside teh car from the windshield with a suction cup. I would like to experiment with 360 mode and camera placements outside the vehicle. I have some questions for those of you using similar setup:

• My camera, when exposed to sun it soon overheats and shutdown. It's not a problem now as in hot days the a/c maintain the temperature. When you place your camera outside the vehicle, how do you help it not to overheat ? 
  • The battery doesn't last for a full drive .... so I end up now keeping it powered with a USB cable. I guess placing it outside the car will just require a long enough USB cable, any other solution you found ? 
  • What extension pole/cable to use ? What's the best method to anchor it to the car (I have seen clamp, suction cups, magnetic... ) ? 

Thanks a ton in advance and meet you all soon in the sand

Paolo 

Hi @PaoloMarazitiif your battery is not not lasting, then remove it from camera and then connect cable from car’s charging port directly to camera and forget battery discharing. 
I am doing this when i am using gopro 9. Now u need enogh memory on camea🤩🤩. Hope this will help

• Like (+1) 2

Good morning, Same for me, I've been using my GoPro 10 during summer time, didn't have issues with overheating. I suggested if you have warranty for your Camera then take it to customer service to check it. maybe there is some issue with your camera and can be fixed easily. 

• Like (+1) 1

For simple action cameras (not 360) I found that using a permanent mount is quite convenient (those which are used to fix GoPro at helmets). You can buy them at noon for a few AED (or you can buy the Chinese sets of "all possible mounts" for GoPro for 50-60 AED where you'll have 10 of them). I have 2 mounts like this fixed on my car - after that, you can easily fix your GoPro in a sec and forget about thoughts that it can be lost. Also, this specific point is "reachable" by my hand - so I can use one battery for the whole drive. Its also simplifies post-processing a lot.

IMG_9643 2.JPG

IMG_9645.PNG

With the remote control vie app (iPhone or Apple watch) for Insta360X2 I found that it's not stable at all:(  Usually, it works well first 30-45 mins, but after that - just couldn't connect. So skills to quickly manually turn it on and off are quite useful (and as I mentioned, you will always find short stops)

And agree with @Frederic - iPhone from inside could a great option. Modern iPhones make 4K 60f/s, so make sure your windscreen is clean enough. The advantage of the iPhone is that you can also use a zoom lens

Edited by Ilya
  • Like (+1) 4

@PaoloMaraziti, I have got a gopromax too. I never had overheating issues. To get over the battery issue, I got an extra battery. I normally control the gopro via remote, which I wear in my wrist. If you use phone to control the gopro, it consumes lot more battery. With remote and recording mode, i get arround 1.5 to 2 hours. Then I change the battery.

For the 360 experience, initially I got couple of suction with stick, but noting would keep the stick holding. After couple of dune crossing I would find the stick inclined down. After doing lot of research, I got the Delkin mount, which has been able to hold the stick without any issues. I had tested in some IM drive, and it had stayed in place.

image.png.ea082322fe01f12a5ddd810d852c76f0.png

• Like (+1) 5

For replying to this topic, please

Subscribe and then join Offroad Club

And enjoy multiple level off-road drives - every weekend.

Important Information

Terms of use