•  
Advertise here

Wrangler JL Axle Reinforcement

I was offered by a reputable Off-Gear mechanic shop to reinforce my 2020 4 doors Jeep Wrangler's axles with Dana Monster Truss (Axle Reinforcement Kit).  They say that it will strengthen the car and adds safety.   Does anyone know anything about that? Did anyone get it done?  Is it recommended for the type of off roading, dune bashing we do? 

• Like (+1) 2

Dana I believe is the stock axle for Rubicon, but I haven't heard any Wrangler users broke their solid axle in desert drive, maybe there are.

Alot of us drive either front or full independent suspension vehicles, and the axle is more vulnerable, hardly hearing anyone breaks it. (I think someone's Ram broke once only).

My opinion is not necessary in desert drives. Since solid axle is the stronger  one. 

Guesse you are getting the bumper replacement for last drive s damage?

Edited by Zixuan Huang - Charlie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

This is quite a common upgrade for Jeeps and a highly recommended one. Quite ironically, Trading Enterprises themselves have recommended it 😂
If you have a Rubicon, it would have Dana 44s, both front and back, which are much stronger and beefier axles, so reinforcement wont really be necessary, unless you really push the car to its limit. 
But for other Trims, they have Dana 30s in front and 35s in the back, which are relatively thinner and weaker. And reinforcement is highly recommended. Though I believe you can easily go Fewbie+, as the drives aren’t that intense….. yet.
Reinforcement is also recommended if you upgrade to bigger tyres, or do High speed driving involving a lot of bumps. As it helps to support some of that sheer weight on the Axle.
For my car, ‘09 JK, I have Dana 30 in front and Dana 44 at the back, hence why I have only reinforced the front axle. I did it for the peace of mind, as I have heard of and seen several broken axles for Jeeps, but now I do have a lot more truss-t (pun intended) in my axles.

So I say, up to Fewbies, you don't really need it. Beyond that, it isn't required aswell if you drive safely. But perhaps you should consider, atleast for the front axle, once you reach Intermediates. Not necessary, but rather a safety precaution, cuz a broken axle in the middle of the desert wont be good, i think…

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 2

In my XJ, I have a Dana 30 axle in the front and a Dana 35 in the rear. I have also had a few nose dives with some extremely hard impact on the front axle. Recently, the axle seals were leaking and we had to open the differential, and everything inside seemed fine from the 4 years of abuse that it has been taking. 🤞

My point, is that unless you are going crazy with your driving or on tyre size, the Jeep axles are built reasonably tough that dont need special reinforcements. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4

To be more specific, unless you plan to do intentional jumps and hard landing you really don't need such level of reinforcements.

Garages love to sell stuff with fear or for right kind of dakar rally racers.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

2 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

To be more specific, unless you plan to do intentional jumps and hard landing you really don't need such level of reinforcements

Absolutely agree with @Gaurav. Potentially it makes sense to think about it after lifting, adding 35" and re-gearing, but not before

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

You guys are awesome. Great input, thanks a lot.. 

Yes @Zixuan Huang - Charlie I am having the bumper fixed (it survived it seems); I am getting the bottom part shaved as advised by @Kailasand they will relocate the license plate (until I decide to upgrade to front and rear Rubicon bumpers and get me a winch so I can bail your a@#% out).  

That was a hell of a jump I took; a real freak accident. Can't get that loud boom out of my head; I never thought the car will survive it...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Naim Aoun said:

That was a hell of a jump I took; a real freak accident. Can't get that loud boom out of my head; I never thought the car will survive it...

Wow, that sounds scary, good you and wrangler are fine. How did it happen?

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

14 hours ago, Gaurav said:

Wow, that sounds scary, good you and wrangler are fine. How did it happen?

Jumped over a one meter ledge that took be by surprise in the valley at Pink Rock.... Took the car for a "post jump inspection"; all is well.  

16 hours ago, Ilya said:

Absolutely agree with @Gaurav. Potentially it makes sense to think about it after lifting, adding 35" and re-gearing, but not before

I have no such intentions at all!!   Maybe at some point will lift 2.5 inches, but not yet, will see. 

Hi @Naim Aoun I went through this subject for weeks, I have the JL with Mopar Lift kit and FOX suspension, I did multiple jumps, hit many ditches, drove 110+ km/h off-road, 20,000 KM and so far so good.

The reinforcement was mandatory with JK the minute you go off-road as JK axles were very thin and very weak, the axles in JL are stronger and last more but still vulnerable. I have a friend who bended his JL axles after more than 70,000 KM of extreme off-roading. He went to police, got accident report and all was covered by insurance. Breaking the axles will for sure be covered by insurance off-road coverage, its just the hassle you will have to go through getting the car out of desert in case it happens. 

The agency has the reinforcement kit which will cost AED 5500+ which I think is too much, you will find after market kits for around 4000 but I think its too risky as they have to remove the whole underneath setup, weld the kit and then return everything back, they might fix things in a wrong way in-addition to a possibility to cause warranty issues later as the car got modified outside agency.

Conclusion is make sure you have insurance with off-road coverage and that's it.

Enjoy Jeeping 😉

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1