•  

Morning Intermediate Desert Drive - From red bowls to white crests: Sweihan to Al Faya - Abu Dhabi - 15 Oct 2021

Drive Brief
As the 3rd chapter of the "Bowling in Sweihan" Series of drives, this Intermediate drive offers the opportunity to further explore the high dunes and the big bowls of the stretch of desert that extends from E16 in Sweihan all the way to E75 in Al Faya.

Covering a distance of over 80km, we will start from E16 Al Taf Road heading West, with the sun rising behind us, gently riding the first dunes to get acquainted with the landscape. After the initial warm up we will start tackling the big dunes that make Sweihan such a renown off-roading place, enjoying all the climbs, the crests, the ridges and - above all - the large bowls it offers, moving through a series of high and complex dunes in an exciting sequence of climbs and rides around some of the biggest and deepest bowls to be seen around. As we will move further to the west side, the terrain will slowly change it characteristics, with the sand turning from red to light beige and with dunes of different sizes and conformation, typical of the area of Al Faya, who some define as "Al Qudra on steroids".. 

Sweihan.jpg.abb54ce093f3db42717b09e3afe5c3ef.jpg

General Infos

This drive is organized in full compliance with the COVID19 guidelines. We expect every member that joins this drive to go through below information and and strictly follow these guidelines in order not to jeopardize someone's health, and to ensure we can keep organizing these drives safely.

MUST READ AND TOTALLY AGREE: 

Drive Details

Level:  Intermediate and above (All Levels)

When:  15 Oct 2021, Friday

Meeting time: 6:00 AM (SHARP - Without any exceptions)

Meeting Point: https://goo.gl/maps/Mf11NJccmLJrgbEv5

Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 8-10 inches of ground clearance.

What to bring along: Loads of water, snacks (for yourself), smiles, face mask, rubber gloves, enthusiasm, willingness to learn and your own compressor for tire inflation.

Approximate finish time: 10:00 AM

End Point: E75 Al Faya Road (Abu Dhabi)

Limited Spots Available:

• Limited to 10 cars only. RSVP will close on Thursday - 9 AM.
    • If the RSVP is full and you wish to join, please mention your name on the drive thread to add on the waiting list. 
  • Latecomers will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Members without RSVP will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Please withdraw your RSVP, if you aren't joining, so your spot can be taken by others.
  • Repeated no-show members after RSVP will have their account suspended for a month.

PLEASE RSVP ON THE BELOW CALENDAR EVENT 

• Like (+1) 2
  • WOW (+2) 1

Oh dear....was waiting for it since long .. @Lorenzo Candelpergher ny possibility i can be get a  floating attendance pass to this drive..? Have an event this Thursday, not sure if it will end in time for me to get some rest and be there for drive .. so not in position to confirm but really interested to join...so if an exceptional open pass possible? Will surely inform before i hit bed on Thursday night...🙏

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, varunmehndiratta said:

Oh dear....was waiting for it since long .. @Lorenzo Candelpergher ny possibility i can be get a  floating attendance pass to this drive..? Have an event this Thursday, not sure if it will end in time for me to get some rest and be there for drive .. so not in position to confirm but really interested to join...so if an exceptional open pass possible? Will surely inform before i hit bed on Thursday night...🙏

Dear @varunmehndiratta, I'll consider you waitlisted for the time being. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Hello @Lorenzo Candelpergher

I have just changed my tyres and wheels, and I do know for a fact that new tyres cause some trouble offroading in the first couple of weeks until they sit tightly on the wheel bead

Nevertheless, my new wheels are Method with bead grip technology that should be preventing pop-outs better than normal wheels, yet of course not as good as bead locks

I will leave this to your judgment. If you believe its not recommended to be on an intermediate trip when trying new tyres, then I will gladly withdraw

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rawad said:

I have just changed my tyres and wheels, and I do know for a fact that new tyres cause some trouble offroading in the first couple of weeks until they sit tightly on the wheel bead

Nevertheless, my new wheels are Method with bead grip technology that should be preventing pop-outs better than normal wheels, yet of course not as good as bead locks

I will leave this to your judgment. If you believe its not recommended to be on an intermediate trip when trying new tyres, then I will gladly withdraw

Dear @Rawad, it is true that there might be less friction between tire beads and rims when a new tire is mounted, however if you have already changed your tires a couple days before the drive and driven a reasonable distance (say 100km at least) on the new tires, the extra risk is minimal or none st all and I would be more than happy to see you join the drive.

If, on the opposite, it is a last minute change and you get you new tires tomorrow evening for Friday morning, I'd advise you otherwise, ie not to come.

Having said so, if you decide to come, you should make sure you come driving as usual, ie not scared by the thought you may have a popout, as changing your driving style and adding extra hesitation in the terrain we plan to drive trhough, can only increase your chances to actually get pop-outs or get stuck somewhere. 

On the other hand, you should rest reassured that we will fix as many pop-outs as you may have, as this is part of the game, and you really shouldn't worry about it: your Marshal for Friday is known as the still undisputed "king of pop-outs", meaning I had way more pop-outs myself thananyone else and way more than those I helped fixing for others, so I still have to even my score. 🤣🤣🤣

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

2 hours ago, Lorenzo Candelpergher said:

on the opposite, it is a last minute change and you get you new tires tomorrow evening for Friday morning, I'd advise you otherwise, ie not to come.

They are already installed and ready to go

I will cruise around tomorrow and will have to drive for more than 100km anyway on friday morning. And am super excited to try out the new combo... No room for hesitation 👍👍

See you in Sweihan🤙🤙

Edited by Rawad
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Well Done (+2) 1

9 hours ago, Rawad said:

Hey @Rawad I have the same combo on order as typically the one that I want (703 in black) cannot currently be found in UAE whereas all the other combinations are 😔…which ones did you go for? I am interested in the technology and from what I can see they are the real deal, perhaps not quite as strong as true beadlocks but a lot less hassle for sure!

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Russ said:

Hey @Rawad I have the same combo on order as typically the one that I want (703 in black) cannot currently be found in UAE whereas all the other combinations are 😔…which ones did you go for? I am interested in the technology and from what I can see they are the real deal, perhaps not quite as strong as true beadlocks but a lot less hassle for sure!

Hey @Russ I know the hustle as I have been in the tyre/wheel quest since April. I was looking for any MR model colored Bahia Blue or Chrome without any luck. I finally settled for the Black MR-701

My issue was my car being blue with chrome mirrors, grill, and side lines that would make it look like a circus wagon if I installed the bronze MRs that are found everywhere here.

Now am planning a chrome-delete 😅😅 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Rawad said:

Hey @Russ I know the hustle as I have been in the tyre/wheel quest since April. I was looking for any MR model colored Bahia Blue or Chrome without any luck. I finally settled for the Black MR-701

My issue was my car being blue with chrome mirrors, grill, and side lines that would make it look like a circus wagon if I installed the bronze MRs that are found everywhere here.

Now am planning a chrome-delete 😅😅 

701 will be my choice if the 703’s don’t arrive soon…there is a good weight saving on the 703 versus the 701 (over 1kg per wheel) but they both look great in my opinion…I’ll see yours tomorrow after which it could end up being an expensive day 🤣

Edited by Russ
Typo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Important Information

Terms of use