•  
Advertise here

Jeep Wrangler UPGRADES you have done and BENEFITS in off-roading

Hello team, can you share the upgrades (interior & exterior) you have done in your car and the benefits you're getting from it? As a newbie, this will really help us guage the pros & cons of that particular upgrade and may help us decide to go for it in the future.

If you have photos, much appreciated

Looking forward...

• Like (+1) 2

OK, first of all ..Thank you @JAISROCK for shaking up this , otherwise dormant Jeep Wrangler forum :-) 👍..

My "upgrades" are quite cheap, as i am a firm believer in the Carnity Philospohy of "Keep it stock" ...so no lifts, no reservoir and bypass shocks, no large tyres, no re-gearing etc. mainly because i dont have the money 😂😂

1. Auxillary Fan -300AED - Added a fan in front of the radiators - This helps a bit in technical drives where the car speed is very slow and the radiator doesn't get enough air draft.

2. Low temp thermostat (open at 75 Deg) - 250 AED - This helps in making the best of  drive breaks and lets the coolant cool down below 95 deg , which is the temp at which the stock thermostat closes.

The above 2 semi-mods gave me a lower coolant temperature by at least 5 deg , and some breathing time until the stock fan decides itself to switch to high speed (i think somewhere around 116 deg??..not sure)

3. Tyres - This one could be termed as a "downgrade". I bought the car with 285/70-17 tyres on it. It was rubbing against the sway bar and i felt there was loss of power when you needed to do steep climbs in short distance. I changed to the so called Carnity tyres - Yoko Geolandars - 265/70-17 and i could feel a marked difference in the grip as well as power.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Well Done (+2) 1

2 hours ago, Sunil Mathew said:

OK, first of all ..Thank you @JAISROCK for shaking up this , otherwise dormant Jeep Wrangler forum :-) 👍..

My "upgrades" are quite cheap, as i am a firm believer in the Carnity Philospohy of "Keep it stock" ...so no lifts, no reservoir and bypass shocks, no large tyres, no re-gearing etc. mainly because i dont have the money 😂😂

1. Auxillary Fan -300AED - Added a fan in front of the radiators - This helps a bit in technical drives where the car speed is very slow and the radiator doesn't get enough air draft.

2. Low temp thermostat (open at 75 Deg) - 250 AED - This helps in making the best of  drive breaks and lets the coolant cool down below 95 deg , which is the temp at which the stock thermostat closes.

The above 2 semi-mods gave me a lower coolant temperature by at least 5 deg , and some breathing time until the stock fan decides itself to switch to high speed (i think somewhere around 116 deg??..not sure)

3. Tyres - This one could be termed as a "downgrade". I bought the car with 285/70-17 tyres on it. It was rubbing against the sway bar and i felt there was loss of power when you needed to do steep climbs in short distance. I changed to the so called Carnity tyres - Yoko Geolandars - 265/70-17 and i could feel a marked difference in the grip as well as power.

Thanks @Sunil Mathew! Appreciate all your suggested points. Point #1 is the first thing I have done on Wrangler. Driving an old car, i think its a must to have for desert driving. For the point 2, I'll definitely ask my mechanic on this, though after installing the transmission cooler and aux fan, I don't see any fluctuations on my temp.

Anyone have installed wheel spacers? Your experience please?

• Like (+1) 1

For Jeep JL the first and must do upgrade or mod for desert driving is the rear bumper. Change to a AOR or cut off the rear bottom part and relocate the number place. Many a bumpers have been lost to the sand scooping.

• Like (+1) 2

don't drive like its your last one.

32 minutes ago, Looper said:

For Jeep JL the first and must do upgrade or mod for desert driving is the rear bumper. Change to a AOR or cut off the rear bottom part and relocate the number place. Many a bumpers have been lost to the sand scooping.

Hi @Looper this is interesting. I didn't expect this on a Wrangler.  Thanks!

• Like (+1) 1

Without a lift and with stock plastic bumper - it scoops sand and breaks. Ask anyone and they will tell you that they  have changed one bumper at least. I am running on my 4th. Now a Rubicon Steel bumper. That too scoops sand in it’s only plastic part the number plate holder. 

• Like (+1) 2

don't drive like its your last one.

3 minutes ago, Looper said:

Without a lift and with stock plastic bumper - it scoops sand and breaks. Ask anyone and they will tell you that they  have changed one bumper at least. I am running on my 4th. Now a Rubicon Steel bumper. That too scoops sand in it’s only plastic part the number plate holder. 

Hmmm, I was just thinking, if I damaged my rear bumper, I will now have a very good reason and force my self to change it🤣🤣🤣. Similar to @Sunil Mathew comment above hahhaha. Trying to preserve the stock parts as much as I can.

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

I dont want to jinx myself by saying this... so far , my stock bumper is safe :-) ...but i just got into the intermediate level...so 🤞

3 hours ago, JAISROCK said:

I don't see any fluctuations on my temp.

how do you monitor the "fluctuation" ? Is it just by the needle guage? If YES, the fluctuations will be very minor and you may not be able to recognise it, it could just remain in the centre within a range say 10 degC.   I use an OBD scanner permanently connected and showing me the temp in digits through an app on my phone. So there is always fluctuation. Coolant temperatures are rarely constant on a desert drive.

3 hours ago, JAISROCK said:

Anyone have installed wheel spacers

I toyed with this idea when i had the rubbing issue with my 285 wide tyres, but then the advice i got was that once installed, the tyres will not rub the sway bar, but your wheel fender flares/arch  may hit the tyres during full compression of suspension. To prevent that , YES, you will need a lift :-) ...so i saw the entrance to the rabbit hole of mods...turned back and ran for my life!!!

(Or you need to change to those thinner flares, which i dont like the looks of)

• Haha (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2021 at 3:54 PM, Sunil Mathew said:

I dont want to jinx myself by saying this... so far , my stock bumper is safe :-) ...but i just got into the intermediate level...so 🤞

how do you monitor the "fluctuation" ? Is it just by the needle guage? If YES, the fluctuations will be very minor and you may not be able to recognise it, it could just remain in the centre within a range say 10 degC.   I use an OBD scanner permanently connected and showing me the temp in digits through an app on my phone. So there is always fluctuation. Coolant temperatures are rarely constant on a desert drive.

Hi Sunil, can you share the photo of the one you have? and the app?

I toyed with this idea when i had the rubbing issue with my 285 wide tyres, but then the advice i got was that once installed, the tyres will not rub the sway bar, but your wheel fender flares/arch  may hit the tyres during full compression of suspension. To prevent that , YES, you will need a lift :-) ...so i saw the entrance to the rabbit hole of mods...turned back and ran for my life!!!

(Or you need to change to those thinner flares, which i dont like the looks of)