•  
Advertise here

Post - Off road Drive routine- What we need to check, clean etc...

Good question, I would advise the following: 

Before the drive:

- All fluid levels (coolant, oil, etc)

After the drive:

- tyre pressure (35psi).

- engine bay, look for any loose hoses, leaks.

- air filter. Remove the sand by tapping it gently on the floor. Replace the filter every 15-20,000 kms

If you take the car to a carwash (no need to do this after every drive), but when they lift the car you can have a look underneath to see for any leaks or broken rubber bushings. 

Most important of all: get to know your vehicle better and talk to your mechanic and tell him you are off-roading with this vehicle and he should inspect drive shafts, suspension, and fluids more often.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

10 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Good question, I would advise the following: 

Before the drive:

- All fluid levels (coolant, oil, etc)

After the drive:

- tyre pressure (35psi).

- engine bay, look for any loose hoses, leaks.

- air filter. Remove the sand by tapping it gently on the floor. Replace the filter every 15-20,000 kms

If you take the car to a carwash (no need to do this after every drive), but when they lift the car you can have a look underneath to see for any leaks or broken rubber bushings. 

Most important of all: get to know your vehicle better and talk to your mechanic and tell him you are off-roading with this vehicle and he should inspect drive shafts, suspension, and fluids more often.

Many thanks here @Frederic! Actually when I started off-roading, I begun to get interested on knowing more on maintenance, transmissions etc. All stuffs that makes my rig off-road capable at least. i have never done this before on my Pathfinder family car. Didnt even check the fluids unless the mechanic tells me every 5/10 maintenance period. I even liking this car better than the new primary family car Nissan Exterra. I dont know, i feel off-roading is addicting?;) do you share the same?

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, JAISROCK said:

Many thanks here @Frederic! Actually when I started off-roading, I begun to get interested on knowing more on maintenance, transmissions etc. All stuffs that makes my rig off-road capable at least. i have never done this before on my Pathfinder family car. Didnt even check the fluids unless the mechanic tells me every 5/10 maintenance period. I even liking this car better than the new primary family car Nissan Exterra. I dont know, i feel off-roading is addicting?;) do you share the same?

Hahaha, there’s a reason we have so many members here. Usually after 1-2 drives it gets you hooked for life and it’s not just about driving in the desert but also meeting up with new people every week that eventually become dearest and close friends. The desert gives and takes and I’ve been very thankful for her teaching me all these things.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

allow me to share the maintenance schedule I use for my car (as a fellow novice who has this passion sparked since joining Carnity) - i was one of the few that read the owners manual and it did have recommendations for routine maintenance based on type of driving (including offroad).  Am thinking your Jeep owners manual will have the same and then you can quickly put together a schedule similar to below (i got this from the owners forum).

Hth and soon you'll be doing work on your own car (hopefully through choice :) )

1461127959_FJMaintenanceSchedule.jpg.24fbd58b8cbdc6e356b63c1b12b9385c.jpg

• Like (+1) 4
  • Well Done (+2) 2