•  

Recovering vehicles after leaving them in desert. Seek advice/guidance.

Varun Mehndiratta

5 hours ago, Lorenzo Candelpergher said:

Yes, proper off-road coverage, if taken under a general comprehensive car insurance, should generally guarantee full recovery from offroad areas. Of course it is key to read the wording of the policy properly before taking it.. 

This below is an excerpt from my RSA Motor Smart policy:

Screenshot_20211017-130340_Drive.jpg.766069937cb07e02a287dec1a28a76db.jpg 

Hi @Lorenzo Candelpergher understand there is some issue with distance from road as well in these insurance. .. or do you have insurance which provide complete coverage...? Believe @Srikumar as well raised same point ..have AXA and i believe it mentions 50mtr.or something. Need to check. 

4 minutes ago, varunmehndiratta said:

Hi @Lorenzo Candelpergher understand there is some issue with distance from road as well in these insurance. .. or do you have insurance which provide complete coverage...? Believe @Srikumar as well raised same point ..have AXA and i believe it mentions 50mtr.or something. Need to check. 

Hi @varunmehndiratta, as I said, it totally depends on the specific policy. When I took mine, I made sure the whole UAE is covered without limitations or exclusions or other covenants such as max distance from the road. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 10/16/2021 at 1:48 PM, sertac said:

If the issue can be fixed you can always take your mechanic with the required parts and tools and get your car fixed at the spot. . 

Hi @sertac agree with you. .however as i mentioned some of us with under warranty vehicles generally rely on agency - which i am sure will be crazy expensive in such case.  At @Carnity the good part is we don't recommend mechanic and vendors. However this is something i believe where around the common drive areas to identify some mechanic and recovery company might be helpful for all. I would call Trading Enterprise in Dubai and Sharjah, but i have no option in Abu Dhabi or NE

1 minute ago, Lorenzo Candelpergher said:

Hi @varunmehndiratta, as I said, it totally depends on the specific policy. When I took mine, I made sure the whole UAE is covered without limitations or exclusions or other covenants such as max distance from the road. 

Thanks @Lorenzo Candelpergher i will surely check the option ...i couldn't agree more with you this additional cost is nothing compared to peace of mind it can provide....

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, sertac said:

But it is limited to 1100AED. Which wont be enough if you are deep in the desert with non moving broken car. 

Hi @sertac I think the 1100/- limit is not for recovery itself , but only for the use of crane in case of rollover or other extreme cases. For the recovery itself I think no limit or number is mentioned. But with insurers only when you require it you will realize what all terms that will come up with 😳.

Edited by Anoop Nair

I highly agree with all points Sri and Lorenzo mentioned.

• Keep your "desert toy" in good health - as per extreme condition - service intervals.
  • Team up with the mechanic and learn to inspect your own 4X4 for the minutest details. Most car businesses cut corners with lube and parts quality or brand, which can cost you dearly inside the desert. Double-check everything at every maintenance.
  • Desert drives aren't meant for test runs, so don't take chance when you have 1% doubt on your car, fluids, tires, suspensions, spare tires, etc.
  • Buy the comprehensive insurance with off-road cover as far as possible (up to 12 years old, I guess).
  • Drive sensibly - THE MOST IMPORTANT
    • Stop abusing stock cars with what rally drivers or race track cars shows on film. Those cars are fully modified and still run with a recovery truck behind them with all needed spare parts, mechanic and lube - You don't.
    • Avoid distractions even after 1000 drives experience.
    • Don't jump - After having a 20K suspension setup, the rest of the stuff is still stock so those components will take a bigger hit - drive shaft, axle, tie rods, control arms, etc. Stock vehicles aren't meant for jumping and if your car weight lands on one wheel then surely you'll need on-site mechanics and parts.

Thanks, @varunmehndiratta for raising such a brilliant concern, that allows me to share my views and experience.

• Getting stuck and unstuck is part of off-roading and we will always find a way out.
  • Everyone should read this Off Road Driving - Roles & Responsibilities
  • Breakdown recovery is totally different based on two major factors
    • Movable state: Car can be towed out safely with disclaimers, that break down car owner takes the full responsibility of his/her car and support car damage - if any.
      • So if vehicle breakdown is near the exit or on flat dunes, with stock cars we can tow out dead vehicles with all safety measures without any damage (mostly).
      • If vehicle breakdown is deep inside tall dunes, so dragging dead weight uphill is not advisable with stock cars due to safety reasons and that's where professional recovery companies, trucks, or insurance comes to play.
    • Non-Movable state: This is the most difficult situation, in which even insurance companies can not do much and the owner has two options in hand.
      • Onsite repair - mostly advisable to avoid further damage.
      • A tow truck with crane - Unimog type - most expensive - 1500-3000 dhs - depending on the distance involved.

My Experiences:

• One of my friend's H2 suspensions broke and we need to strap the suspension with tie-down ratchets to exit on-road as the insurance company provided 200-meter off-road coverage BUT on the flat track and not in dunes.
  • One of our carnity members had a 4WD failure and Ford sent professional experts to recover who couldn't move the vehicle and broke the tow hook after few strong tugs. The simple mistake was they didn't clear the sand wall from all tires, as each tire was half-buried and they kept forcing their way with power. So the definition of "professional" and "expert" is super gray until put to the real test.
  • My wife 4X4 has AXA comprehensive insurance with off-road cover. Its gear shifter cable broke and the car was stuck in parking (on tarmac) and the AXA recovery truck couldn't move it an inch after 3 days of struggles, emails, phone calls and eventually provided me a forklift quote to lift the car up to put it on a recovery truck. Along with a disclaimer that AXA will not be responsible for any damage. Finally, I found a way to go under the gear and move the gear shifter from Parking to Neutral.

My Recommendation:

If you have an off-road cover, you must give your insurance or car dealer a try to recover your car once to judge the reality than believing in the sales pitch. I was seriously very disappointed with AXA service lately. Operation guys were from different planets (voice of tone, behavior, skills, ideas), that each recovery truck guy was crying that sir I don't even have anything to help you other than this truck and winch, I can pull the car in parking but surely it will damage the transmission. The office guy was unable to send a wheel dolly (my idea from youtube) on which front of the car can move.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

9 hours ago, Wade Pat2 said:

Any input for guys like me with older vehicle. I have spent crazy amount keeping it in the best condition possible for on and off road. Every insurance I called will only offer 3rd party. Anyone know of a "declared value" insurance company or maybe a direct to recovery agency insurance just for mechanic/recovery. 

@Wade Pat2 bro, a quote from my insurance agent was "Off road cover with full insurance can provided by some companies for upto 10-12 years."  So for offroading until end 2022, the car model must be from year 2010+ 😭  Our cars fall into the Classics, so after spending so much on them, either we sell them to museums or car collectors...  or keep on using them and hope nothing expensive breaks 😅

As for the recovery part, maybe best to subscribe to AAA membership per year (usually included with some insurance) ? 500dhs includes the Off-Road Recovery...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Zed said:

@Wade Pat2 bro, a quote from my insurance agent was "Off road cover with full insurance can provided by some companies for upto 10-12 years."  So for offroading until end 2022, the car model must be from year 2010+ 😭  Our cars fall into the Classics, so after spending so much on them, either we sell them to museums or car collectors...  or keep on using them and hope nothing expensive breaks 😅

As for the recovery part, maybe best to subscribe to AAA membership per year (usually included with some insurance) ? 500dhs includes the Off-Road Recovery...

Before buying call them and check if off-road pullout covers vehicle breakdown or dead vehicle pullout?

image.png

• Like (+1) 4

I just checked my images and AXA was using AAA service and this is the recovery truck who was nice but helpless and complaining that company don't even provide them a screw driver to do anything, let alone wheel dolly.

So I'm 90% sure that desert pullout must be tow-rope recovery and not vehicle breakdown recovery.

All I know that in 2014 one of my friend used unimog truck (I think from AAA) that costed him 2500 for wrangler recovery from pink rock area.

image.png

• Like (+1) 3

29 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

I just checked my images and AXA was using AAA service and this is the recovery truck who was nice but helpless and complaining that company don't even provide them a screw driver to do anything, let alone wheel dolly.

So I'm 90% sure that desert pullout must be tow-rope recovery and not vehicle breakdown recovery.

All I know that in 2014 one of my friend used unimog truck (I think from AAA) that costed him 2500 for wrangler recovery from pink rock area.

image.png

Better leave the car there and hire a 4x4…. Take a MC with Carnity …. Take a mechanic ….. fix things there and bring back the car …… 2500 I thought it was an air lift by chinook helicopter 🚁 …..

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

image.png

Hmm ..   any possibility @Gaurav to identify some workshops around the area (spread isn't that big where we drive - couple around SWEIHAN, Qudra and Madam, of course we have other areas but then the more frequently visited ones) who can be first level of help for all in such cases ... Especially as even if someone has a mechanic, over Friday might not be easy to get hold ...and even if possible to get it from another part of city can be a crazy experience ..i read @Shaz Shah had to get a mechanic from Ajman, not sure why perhaps that's the mechanic he could only reach by late eve? ( @Shaz Shah can share better). ..at least with Marshals having some contact in these case might come in handy....and i am sure knowing that there are regular drives the mechanic might be okay to be available ...for individuals might be a struggle.... 

Needless to say what @Srikumar @Lorenzo Candelpergher @Gaurav you all have mentioned, first and foremost members must ensure that vehicle is in healthy shape and that all precautions be taken...

• Like (+1) 2

Important Information

Terms of use