•  

Recovering vehicles after leaving them in desert. Seek advice/guidance.

Varun Mehndiratta

23 minutes ago, Mus_hus78 said:

Better leave the car there and hire a 4x4…. Take a MC with Carnity …. Take a mechanic ….. fix things there and bring back the car …… 2500 I thought it was an air lift by chinook helicopter 🚁 …..

This is just a thought but thinking of breaking down in the middle of no where freaks me out ….. may be will pay more just to come out of that situation 

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

I just checked my images and AXA was using AAA service and this is the recovery truck who was nice but helpless and complaining that company don't even provide them a screw driver to do anything, let alone wheel dolly.

So I'm 90% sure that desert pullout must be tow-rope recovery and not vehicle breakdown recovery.

All I know that in 2014 one of my friend used unimog truck (I think from AAA) that costed him 2500 for wrangler recovery from pink rock area.

image.png

Ah there's another AAA, and these are the ones with the proper Desert Trucks: Hitachi Crawler Tank & a 4x4 Lift Truck... I saw AAA Recovery sign and I thought they're the same, apparently not 😂

494478543_CRAWLER-HITACHI-54234-IN-ACTION-650x520(1).jpg.7f324ee1a3daf65e98c0757b1b26662d.jpg

SKIP-TRUCK-MAN-73534-650x520.jpg.d5320571e305990efb4bd1623dd38599.jpg

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

36 minutes ago, varunmehndiratta said:

Hmm ..   any possibility @Gaurav to identify some workshops around the area (spread isn't that big where we drive - couple around SWEIHAN, Qudra and Madam, of course we have other areas but then the more frequently visited ones) who can be first level of help for all in such cases.

What you are expecting is like mechanic on stand by kind of service that will cost you lot more as annual retainer than one time extreme recovery expense.

I have been in such extreme situation twice in 15 years of offroading. First one was my ignorance or stupidity that I broke my front differential on LC100 in 2008. Second one was sheer bad luck or end of life of tie rod end that failed and twisted one tire right when steering was straight in 2019.

Left the car and came back next day with mechanic and parts, all sorted within 500 dhs (I think).

My realistic and practical advise, dont overthink, just be positive and stay sensible, that goes a long way.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

I want to add 2 aspects to this query raised by @varunmehndiratta. There are 2 situations when you have to leave your car inside the desert. 1. The vehicle is in movable condition and can be towed away. eg. My car broke down in the desert when the battery failed and the engine wouldn't crank even while trying to jump start. @Alex Raptor towed my car with his F 150 and brought it to tarmac. The only problem was as engine was not running all power assisted services stopped. But it was still towable with lots of muscle power. If he didn't tow my car I had to get out of desert, buy a new battery and bring it back inside the desert and recover the car.  2. The vehicle is in immovable condition and cannot be towed away until the mechanical failure is repaired. eg. My differential broke down as I forgot to switch it back to 4HI from 4L after getting unstuck from soft sand. There are 2 scenarios to this - the axle can get dislodged and the car is still drivable in 2HI. Unfortunately in my case the differential cover itself broke. The front wheel was jammed. Wouldn't move an inch. The only solution was to disengage the drive shaft and disengage the axle which is not possible with ordinary tools we carry during offroading. We had to bring in a mechanic. We brought him inside with the tools and did what was necessary and released the stuck wheel. In a 2nd time a friend's car had his engine belt broken as sand jammed the AC compressor. We brought in the mechanic again inside, released the jammed compressor, fixed new engine belt and drove back. The 3rd time which was the unfortunate incident which happened to @Shaaz Sha's car in Sweihan. The upper arm of the left wheel broke and rendered the car immovable. There was no way the car could be towed out. The only solution was to source the parts and get the arm replaced with a mechanic. We did just that. No man who loves his car would sleep when his car is abandoned inside the desert. Also I'm of the opinion that cars shouldn't be left inside for a long time as once the tracks are blown away by wind then it becomes difficult to relocate the car even with maps. 

Kindly note you don't have to leave your car and go home abandoning it in a desolate place when you have friends who will stand by you come what may until the driver drives out and goes home in his car under its power. 

If anyone in Carnity faces such a situation you can call my number 0552690503 any time and I will be there to assist. I will not lead you to the car and drive it out as I never had that training but will stand with you by sourcing the parts and a mechanic to get it out. 

Edited by Thomas Varghese
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Just now, Gaurav said:

What you are expecting is like mechanic on stand by kind of service that will cost you lot more as annual retainer than one time extreme recovery expense.

I have been in such extreme situation twice in 15 years of offroading. First one was my ignorance or stupidity that I broke my front differential on LC100 in 2008. Second one was sheer bad luck or end of life of tie rod end that failed and twisted one tire right when steering was straight in 2019.

Left the car and came back next day with mechanic and parts, all sorted within 500 dhs (I think).

My realistic and practical advise, dont overthink, just be positive and stay sensible, that goes a long way.

Agree Gaurav.  Actually more than standby was just thinking of having some contact details of nearby workshops...to reach out to in case of emergency. .i am sure mechanics would be happy to share their contacts, a bit of scouting in nearby area by someone with idea to judge the right mechanic...i am happy to help ñ, my knowledge is pretty limited though.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, varunmehndiratta said:

Agree Gaurav.  Actually more than standby was just thinking of having some contact details of nearby workshops...to reach out to in case of emergency. .i am sure mechanics would be happy to share their contacts, a bit of scouting in nearby area by someone with idea to judge the right mechanic...i am happy to help ñ, my knowledge is pretty limited though.

In that case you can use google map > search within this area feature whenever you get such situation.

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

16 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

In that case you can use google map > search within this area feature whenever you get such situation.

🙏🙏 @Gaurav of course I know how to use Google...😃 Early morning or on Friday workshops aren't open... If we will have some number of a vetted workshop/mechanic would help... Thanks 

1 hour ago, varunmehndiratta said:

🙏🙏 @Gaurav of course I know how to use Google...😃 Early morning or on Friday workshops aren't open... If we will have some number of a vetted workshop/mechanic would help... Thanks 

Firstly sharing workshop contacts is against Brand promotions here.

Secondly we do not recommend or endorse any garages unlike all other off-road clubs.

Thirdly, all vetted and ase certified mechanics will be off on Friday or on early morning drives.

I know you know how to use google, but what I meant to explain is that when you will be in trouble you will be happy with any roadside mechanic or grease junkie to do anything to make your car move again. Eventually once you are on road, you may send your car to your trusted mechanic or agency.

On site repair is the most shoddy work you will ever see BUT it will get you moving. We have seen mechanic fixing broken radiator with m-seal and cigg butt as a filler, using cola can tin in brake caliper, filling tranny oil with battery operated pump, etc. In short on-site repair is mostly a Jugaad (something that is made to serve a purpose on temporary basis).

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

We have the discussion of damaged vehicles recovering from the desert. People have been asking about mechanics and their availability. What I found out is all this matters only to 25% or even less. We actually need friends who will stand with us until the vehicle is repaired and taken out. This is the most important factor when trying to recover a damaged vehicle from the desert. I emphasis on the word friends. Once you come out to tarmac and source the parts and get a mechanic how will you re enter the desert to the place where your car is abandoned? You cannot hire a taxi and go straight to the point where your car was left. You cannot walk with the spare parts and the mechanic with his tools to where your car is. I emphasized on the word friends before as we need at least 3 cars to safely reach to the place where the damaged car is. If you don't have friends all the exercise of sourcing the parts, the mechanic and tools are futile. This is the most important aspect in recovering a car from inside the desert. Plus at least one of this friend should know how to navigate himself and guide others to the place where the car was left and after repair have to make everybody exit out. 

I left the desert drive for 2 months from Carnity because the friends I could trust 100% left for vacation. Now as they are all back I gained the confidence and will to continue with desert drives. See you all soon in the sands.   

• Like (+1) 1

Seems like my feed is affected with jugaad stories now.

How Astronauts Used A Teabag To Save $150 Billion Space Station 400 Km Above Earth

https://www.indiatimes.com/technology/science-and-future/astronauts-used-teabag-to-save-space-station-551604.html

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

Important Information

Terms of use