•  

Morning Intermediate Desert Drive - Long Range Patrols Series: Al Ghail to Bataeh - RAK to SHJ - 23 Oct 2021

Ale Vallecchi

7 hours ago, Looper said:

The meeting point is 120km from my home. I plan to start at 4:30. The drive time is about 1 hour 20 min from my home but on average it should be 1 and half hour from other parts in Dubai, plus some time to fill in the fuel.

This Adnoc petrol station seems to be the nearest one if someone is coming from S104/E88.

For people coming from North E311 or E611 use this Adnoc 594 looks like you have to take a small U turn just after crossing it and to be back on the way to destination another U turn after the police station.

@Ale Vallecchi do we need to carry jerry cans for this drive?

Hi @Looper. Just finished a long day with an early wake-up call tomorrow. Will get back with final instructions tomorrow afternoon, but no extra fuel will be required. Thanks for asking. 

• Like (+1) 3

On 10/20/2021 at 10:14 PM, Ale Vallecchi said:

Yes @Rawad. Good to hear the car is back. You are #1 on the WL. Thanks

Hello @Rawad . We have an open spot for tomorrow's drive. Would you like to join? Thanks. 

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

Dear Desertnauts.

Last minute info about tomorrow's drive.

Thanks @Looper for bringing up the issue of gas supply: please make sure you fill up at a gas station as close to the meeting point as possible. Even though the drive should not be as long as other Long Range Desert Patrol ones, it's always best to arrive with a tank as full as possible. Having said that, just make sure you have enough gasoline to cover at least 150 Km (even though we'll drive less), based on the size of your tank and your car's consumption. 

The main characteristics of the drive will be first its location (as some of you already know, long range longitudinal dunes, all kinds of vegetation, wild and domesticated animals roaming free, and a variety of tracks crossing through the dunes left by locals), and secondly the exploration of the southern area of Al Ghail, toward Biyatah (rich in tall, red sand slip-faces), and the whole area from Biyatah to Al Dhaid (intended as a general area), on a track just identified by waypoints, and yet to be tested. The Intermediate denomination, in this case, has not been attributed so much for the sheer difficulty of the drive (which may very well be), but rather for the uncertainty that the terrain poses, and the necessity to face and adapt to different and perhaps unexpected circumstances.

Tomorrow's convoy order will be:

@Thomas Varghese in Second Lead

@Sunil Mathew at #3

@Rawad at #4

@Humayun Ghias driving in place #5

@Looper in place #6

@GauravSoni in the Center Forward position

@JeromeFJ at #8

@Jorge Stepniak Felippe will be #9

@Russ at #10

@Rob H in place #11, and 

@Mario Cornejo in Sweep.

Please mind that the meeting time has been moved to 6:30AM, to allow for the longer drive to the starting point. Said meeting point will be inside Al Ghail Industrial Area, at its end end, just before the pylon ttack and the beginning of the dunes.

We have chosen to tune into Carnity Radio Channel #1 (446.006).

See you all tomorrow. Have a nice Friday evening.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Guys recovery is on its way sent by the insurance. I will drop it at the agency

Thank you all for waiting, hope you can still enjoy the rest of the drive

@Rob H I owe a beer man. Really appreciate your help. Ur awesome

Hope to drive with you all soon.... if I dont loose a kidney to fix the car tho  😅😅

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use