•  

Walkie Talkie Static and Interference

Frederic

3 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Motorola cost 150

Kangda cost 300

Not much for trouble free drive experience with better range, battery life and clarity of comms.

Thanks Fredy for introducing me to Kangda, so far it's amazing since almost a year now.

not heard of the kangda? Where are these for sale in Dubai please? 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Motorola cost 150

Kangda cost 300

Not much for trouble free drive experience with better range, battery life and clarity of comms.

Thanks Fredy for introducing me to Kangda, so far it's amazing since almost a year now.

@Frederic @Gaurav  can you share a supplier for the Kangda?  (quick search didn't show any options locally).  ridding of interference is well worth the 300!

• Like (+1) 3

@Srikumar bought it for me last year from Dragon Mart. I think it was Shenda or sheng da shop who sells baofeng they supply Kangda too. Dragon Mart customer service center can guide you for shops who sells Kangda.

Previously I was happy with Motorola too and have been using MT777 for almost a decade. But this Kangda is few notches above MT777 in clarity, range and battery life.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

20 minutes ago, PaoloMaraziti said:

Anybody bought a more expensive brand like Cobra or Midland etc, whether handheld or Fixed-Mount , from say Amazon.com? 

If so, any better experience in terms of range and interference ? Do you need a license for these ? 

Examples: 

image.png.bfd052eed02addd67180bbc4e0269b3e.pngimage.png.53381b9a8bc31aba318ee165d5801df5.pngimage.png.050de11dd074d792e37322f5497d4ac6.png

Few issues with that:

1) If the rest of the convoy is broadcasting with cheap chinese radios, it won't make a lot of difference.

2) From what i heard in the past, customs will hold them if you buy from Amazon (not verified). 

3) If you find one, make sure it's a UHF model, as many of these CB radios are VHF models.

Additionally you will need to be careful with RTA passing, or even crossing the border into Oman. If they spot it in your car it will be confiscated.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2
  • WOW (+2) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

@Frederic it is possible to obtain an amateur radio license through TDRA…do we have anyone in @Carnity with license? Is it worthwhile to obtain one considering we may need to connect to authority in case of Offroad emergency in area with network issue…or phone not working?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

16 minutes ago, GauravSoni said:

@Frederic it is possible to obtain an amateur radio license through TDRA…do we have anyone in @Carnity with license? Is it worthwhile to obtain one considering we may need to connect to authority in case of Offroad emergency in area with network issue…or phone not working?

16F88AA0-3064-4F29-858C-EEE618CE6E51.jpeg.82372a5f3cba8d029bde454850904092.jpeg
If you are a Ham Radio Amateur you can apply but need to have an Amateur radio license from your home country. As we are off-roaders and not radio amateurs I don’t see the benefit.   

Will even cost you a bit for yearly license. Security companies will have this for their employees using radio.

6F3618C4-C6CB-4FEE-8D2A-43CEAACAC9F9.jpeg

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • WOW (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

19 minutes ago, GauravSoni said:

@Frederic it is possible to obtain an amateur radio license through TDRA…do we have anyone in @Carnity with license? 

Not that we know off.

20 minutes ago, GauravSoni said:

Is it worthwhile to obtain one considering we may need to connect to authority in case of Offroad emergency in area with network issue…or phone not working?

Etisalat coverage is more amazing than radio range. Even in liwa crossing (in 2018) we have had etisalat coverage that we never used the Thuraya sat phone that we bought for emergency use.

Radio license are for companies who have requirement of 24/7 comms on radio devices like transport, security, aviation, construction, etc.

Last we checked, it says each device has to have license with annual subscription of 1800-3000 dhs.

• Like (+1) 3
  • WOW (+2) 3

Just now, GauravSoni said:

@Gaurav@Frederic thanks! It seems we will have to bear with the static!!! Channel 5 is nothing but Zzzzzzzz for my pajero!!!!!

Buy Kangda - 300 dhs or use mine in your Pajero to test and then decide.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, GauravSoni said:

@GauravSoni when I was hunting for a radio in the beginning I had come across a CB radio unit which looks like the one used by police cars for 600 AED. Don't remember the brand but I remember it was Japanese made. I had to buy a radio antenna also for the CB radio to work for 250 AED. I was too tempted but finally ran away from that place. The shop owner claimed it has a 100 km radius to transmit. After buying my Boafeng and playing with it and watching videos about these radios I came to the conclusion that it was good I ran away without buying that almost useless equipment for our purpose. We cannot transmit on police frequencies or listen to their transmission. In US there are radio stations which use these and you maybe able to relay to the outside world you are in distress and you need help. But over here I don't know anything about these facilities. Even though my Boafeng screams or misses out some parts of transmission its fine for me. In case I miss out any message because of static I can request the message to be relayed again. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use