Gaurav

Ultimate 4X4 Testing in Sand  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Please vote how you like to participate

• I want to test my 4X4 and skills to MAX
    • I'm happy to join with my winch

7 hours ago, Foxtrot Oscar said:

YALLAAAAAAAAAAAA

This is going to be needed a lot Angela especially for up and down pull rope bringing ppl yallaaaaa 😉

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Foxtrot Oscar said:

Every wo/man for themselves! BRING IT! 😈😝

Only one exception , the one who will get out by him/her self , will be sitting on  🪑eating popcorn and drinking and chilled Coca Cola 🤣 and having the privilege to document all recoveries 🤣😄 … I know it’s just a dream that 99 % ain’t becoming true at least for me 😂

Waw the vot till now reached 24 and it’s less than 24 hour since this thread started . ✌️😄

Edited by M.Seidam
  • Like (+1) 1

Thank you everyone for such an amazing response of 24 people interested in less than a day.

Few things to consider and realize by yourself before signing up for this drive (whenever we open).

1. THIS IS NOT A REGULAR DRIVE, rather there is NO DRIVE but just a place to test your 4X4 (max power) + your off-roading skills.
  2. It will be strictly for Intermediate and above level - without any exception (for safety reasons).
  3. If with your present car capabilities and your off-roading skills you have scaled - Faya from center or from the right side - MULTIPLE TIMES + EVERY TIME then only you sign up for this drive. If you have sometimes scaled and sometimes failed, then there is clearly no point for you to sign up with such a high-risk attempt (explained below).
  4. IT IS NOT A FUN DRIVE, but a super cruel day out where you will witness some extreme action but expect to pitch in with A LOT OF PHYSICAL TAXING ACTIVITY for a whole day than sitting in 22 degrees aircon.

Just for the reference in such extreme activity, your car power to weight ratio is SUPER PRIME, no matter what you believe and what your friends or car manufacturers BRAGGGGGGGGED. Keep it real for your safety.

My car has/had 225 hp on 1.8-ton weight = 125 hp/ton and still, I failed miserably after consecutive attempts by using every trick I know in off-roading with over a decade of experience. Bottom line no one can fool the power-to-weight ratio whether you like reading this or not, that's a fact.

With 125 hp/ton I still used a 50-meter uphill pull means that anything above 150 hp/ton (check your stats) should be a worthy contender to test this extreme side.

RISK INVOLVED:

• We definitely need an equal number of the winch as per the total number of participants.
  • Each winch uphill pull will take 1-2 hours easily, draining a lot of battery and winch pulling power eventually.
  • After consecutive use, the winch fuse and switch do fail as they are rated for certain amperage.
  • We have not tested stock tow points to take that level of load uphill, as in my car, winch has been installed on 4X thicker cross-member than chassis that dragged me uphill.
  • If your stock tow point or all the winch fails, you might have to leave your car in that bowl.
  • Calling AAA to recover will cost in excess of 3000 - 5000 dhs, as it's really far from Dubai.

Keeping excitement and thrill aside, I just want to show you the realistic side that you should be aware of and be prepared off before signing up for this.

• Ref to point 3 above for quick self-check.
  • Like (+1) 3
  • WOW (+2) 5

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Thankyou @Gaurav - this is a humbling reality check!  I have the power/weight (@135hp/ton) but not the credentials with regards history of climbs!  Nor do I come armed with a winch as a support member! 😢 …. I will drop from the attendee list, however if a ‘runner’ (slow middle aged version) is needed to support winching etc - count me in.  I am also skilled on a keyboard so can document and post in real time the performance of the team for all to enjoy (I will work on taking flattering profile pics also!) 

jokes aside - this is a moment for all who signed up to be self critical and ensure they are ready this time round (am certain the event will happen again, especially after it is renamed the FJ Bowl!) 

Edited by Niki
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Gaurav said:

With 125 hp/ton I still used a 50-meter uphill pull means that anything above 150 hp/ton (check your stats) should be a worthy contender to test this extreme side.

Power-to-weight seems the Achille's heel of Y61, according to its published specifications the max power of a TB48DE engine is 280hp and the  Y61 SWB gross weight is 2700Kg which yields close to 104 hp/ton .... add to its gw the load of things I've installed in it, I would have to install turbo and upgrade ring/pinion 😆 just to try making it to this challenge!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Mario Cornejo said:

Power-to-weight seems the Achille's heel of Y61, according to its published specifications the max power of a TB48DE engine is 280hp and the  Y61 SWB gross weight is 2700Kg which yields close to 104 hp/ton .... add to its gw the load of things I've installed in it, I would have to install turbo and upgrade ring/pinion 😆 just to try making it to this challenge!

Hi Mario, I think the stat goes by the curb weight (no passengers but full tank of fuel and standard equipment).  Yours is just a little over 2tons so you have all the power to attempt this challenge!  

• Confused (0) 1

22 minutes ago, PaoloMaraziti said:

I have also a power to weight issue, my doctor keeps reminding me ! :)

i climbed Faya many times , but I think @Gaurav means from the steep side :) I a out of this :( but I might start a recovery business by that date, I have a hunch ;)

Correct - Faya from center or right side

44 minutes ago, Mario Cornejo said:

Hey @Mario Cornejo your 2 door Patrol weighs 1925 Kg so with 280 hp = 145 hp/ton and not bad to try IMHO.

ONLY.

If you have tested this power + your skills to climb Faya - from center - every time.

• Like (+1) 5

28 minutes ago, PaoloMaraziti said:

but I might start a recovery business by that date, I have a hunch ;)

Please share your contact here, when you do start that business, will open colosseum.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use