•  

Desert Champions Trophy - 2021

Gaurav

1 minute ago, Gaurav said:

Gentle reminder

Everyone please share your full resolution videos (gopro, dashcam, etc.) whatever you have taken during the drive with wetransfer on my email: [email protected].

We plan to add these drive videos to the master video of the whole event.

@Daniel Rodas @Werno @Javier Lucero @Zed @Alexander Alcala @Mario Cornejo @M.Seidam @Humayun Ghias @varunmehndiratta @Hisham Masaad @Anoop Nair @Niki @JamesThorn @Ruan van den Heever @Chaitanya D @Foxtrot Oscar @Lorenzo Candelpergher @Tbone @Jeepie @sertac @Asif Hussain @Kailas @JeromeFJ @Bernard Kalaani @Looper @Alexanderrr @Mus_hus78 @Daniel Yang @Wrangeld @GauravSoni @Matt.T @Warren Flay @Ale Vallecchi @Mohamad Anwer @Frederic @Srikumar @Jorge Stepniak Felippe @Rizwanm2

Copy that 👍 by today hopefully evening time will be ready from my side 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Gentle reminder

Everyone please share your full resolution videos (gopro, dashcam, etc.) whatever you have taken during the drive with wetransfer on my email: [email protected].

We plan to add these drive videos to the master video of the whole event.

@Daniel Rodas @Werno @Javier Lucero @Zed @Alexander Alcala @Mario Cornejo @M.Seidam @Humayun Ghias @varunmehndiratta @Hisham Masaad @Anoop Nair @Niki @JamesThorn @Ruan van den Heever @Chaitanya D @Foxtrot Oscar @Lorenzo Candelpergher @Tbone @Jeepie @sertac @Asif Hussain @Kailas @JeromeFJ @Bernard Kalaani @Looper @Alexanderrr @Mus_hus78 @Daniel Yang @Wrangeld @GauravSoni @Matt.T @Warren Flay @Ale Vallecchi @Mohamad Anwer @Frederic @Srikumar @Jorge Stepniak Felippe @Rizwanm2

Hi @GauravI'm afraid I don't have any footage, was planning on buying a gopro but didn't end up getting it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ale Vallecchi said:

Desert Champion Trophy - Arabian Wolves Report

"Strip away your pride, and put on humble clothes" - Rumi

Dear Desertanuts, 

after a couple of busy days, spent both on working matters and reflecting on the lessons learned last Friday, here's what I came away with, from the great event which has crowned the first Carnity Desert Champion.

Speaking of crowning, before I get on with my report, I want to congratulate myself with King Richard @Wrangeld, to whom I wish to convey my greatest joy, and utmost respect, for his astounding achievement. It was truly a masterful and magic drive, which, I am very glad to say, must have repaid him of the many drives he has done in technical areas, some of which must have been tiring and frustrating. They have all paid off with this great and extremely deserved win.

Sincere thanks also go to the other Leads ( @Chaitanya D, @Kailas, @Lorenzo Candelpergher@Jeepie) and the Teams' members: they all provided an incredible incentive to bring out our best, pushing each other to the limits, especially during those exciting couple of times when 2 or more convoys came together in the proximity of the waypoints, challenging one another to choose better and faster routes.

As for my analysis, the essence of the drive, and the final effect it has had on me, are captured by the words of the great Rumi, stated in the report's title. The challenge was, for me, a true eye-opener, and a humbling experience. After the initial disappointment of my final placement, I am actually welcoming the humbling aspect of the race. While during the past months I have been very successful with my drives, with almost always full, or overbooked houses. At the same time, I now understand that this "success" had made me overconfident. My post trophy self-criticism has made me realize that I have not been training enough in technical areas, while invariably going for the very long treks, favoring speed over finesse (at least in part), and preferring cleaner routes over more complex ones. Those who choose my drives know that I go to great lengths to minimize the technical areas, to the advantage of cleaner routes, with greater potential for longer and smoother treks. The fact that as a Carnity Lead I have, eventually, developed my own flavor of drives, may actually have ended up in my getting "stuck" in a rut, repeating what I had become better at, and neglecting the skills needed to become a thoroughly complete Lead. The greatest takeaway from the DCT, for me, has been the need to break out of the mould I have built for myself, and engage in more diverse locations, drives, and terrains.

Having said this, I'll get back to my team's routing strategy. As previously reported by @Lorenzo Candelpergher, I had also chosen a 5-4-5-3-2-1 route as my Plan A. This would have allowed me to get back from WP#4, surrounded by the most technical dunes, to the area of long range cordons that I know better, and where I was confident the speeds I could reach would allow me to move very fast toward WP#3. Unluckily, 2 time-consuming incidents took place just after reaching WP#4, on the way back up to WP#5, and took away all the advantage we had on the other teams, as first starters. At that point, I did not feel like risking to go for Plan B, which I had marked on my map, and was quite similar to Richard's, but (in my opinion) entailed many more technical dunes. The fact that I have preferred to give my team as much a break as possible from technical dunes, with hindsight, was not the right decision in terms of winning strategy, yet may have been a good decision in terms of letting them get their confidence back, and ensuring the safety of the drive.
The other reason why I did not feel we would have gained much advantage going for Plan B (in @Gaurav's words "as the crow flies") was because the distance between WP#4 and #3, going either my way or Richard's way, seemed to be almost equal. Hence I stuck to my faster speed approach, Vs. the mix of speed and technical dunes.  Lesson taught by the Master of technical drives, and learned by the Long Range guy.

As far as Team Wolves' performance, I must say I can only praise @JeromeFJ, @Mohamad Anwer, @James Thorn and @Jorge Stepniak Felippe, all equally, for a great drive - one that was probably my fastest ever, with non-stop "bat out of hell" speeds. Special kudos should go to their impeccable team work, in the occasion of the pop-out and the nasty stuck we had to solve. The pop out was sorted out in record breaking 6 minutes, while a troublesome double stuck (front and back, into a small V-shaped bowl), with no room to tug, was dug away in 8 minutes of shoveling and blip-blip self-recovery. I am very proud of how they responded after the two incidents, and how confident they were in driving at very high speeds, covering from half-way between Waypoints 4 and 5 to the finish line in 1 hour and 2 minutes of uninterrupted, impeccable driving.

Lastly, thanks to @Gaurav, @Srikumar and @Frederic for the perfect organization, and thanks to @Asif Hussain@Tbone, and @Rizwanm2 for their assistance and support. Could not have asked for a greater family feeling, and fun environment, where in the end we all came out as winners, and better off-roaders. 

@Ale Vallecchiour Alfa pack leader, thank you for your personal analysis of the drive, you were a great leader and really made the drive super exciting all the way, I personally will never forget this adventure, with an excellent team, thank to the rest of the pack @JeromeFJ @James Thorn@Jorge Stepniak Felippe for being such an incredible team! 

I am a new member to the carnity family, however, every time I am out with the various teams I know I am going to have a great time and blend in easily!!

Thank you @Gaurav @Srikumar@Frederic @Hisham Masaad @Tbone @Asif Hussain @Rizwanm2 for all the great organisation and for the participation certificate. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 3

8 minutes ago, Foxtrot Oscar said:

Many many congratulations to Team Arabian Red Fox I @Wrangeld @M.Seidam , @Bernard Kalaani , @Ruan van den Heever and @Mario Cornejo What an outstanding achievement! 

I'm only sorry that my car let me down and I wasn't able to participate, here's hoping no such ill fate awaits me for the next Carnity Desert Championship, at least then @Wrangeldwill know he had been in a competition.  💅😜🤣

Its not true what they say about you @Foxtrot Oscar, you're a class act. 

• Haha (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

32 minutes ago, Wrangeld said:

Its not true what they say about you @Foxtrot Oscar, you're a class act. 

Anyone who knows me knows fine well, it’s not the taking part that counts, it’s the winning! 😜

yalla! 🤣🤣🤣

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

44 minutes ago, Foxtrot Oscar said:

Many many congratulations to Team Arabian Red Fox I @Wrangeld @M.Seidam , @Bernard Kalaani , @Ruan van den Heever and @Mario Cornejo What an outstanding achievement! 

I'm only sorry that my car let me down and I wasn't able to participate, here's hoping no such ill fate awaits me for the next Carnity Desert Championship, at least then @Wrangeldwill know he had been in a competition.  💅😜🤣

My car also let me down @Foxtrot Oscar. I wish we can compete for the next DCT. 

• Totally Agree (+2) 4

On 11/19/2021 at 6:33 PM, Chaitanya D said:

Trip Report TEAM SALUKI

@Srikumar after a quick analysis and discussion with the whole team Saluki and especially with @Hisham Masaad 

we decided a route which was 

waypoints 4-5-4-3-2-1 .

personally I felt a bit super challenged driving through to waypoint 5 as I had to caution some of my team members to be extremely careful. I humbly apologize if was a bit too vocal about it.

As we were enroute to 4, I realized 5 was just beside and we all circled it and the went ahead to 4. 

Not to boast of ourselves but till we reached waypoint 4 , we had only one refusal if I remember correctly, this instilled huge confidence in me with my team that I can make the toughest technical from waypoint 4 to 3 ( although we had discussed we will backtrack to 4 and then go to 3).

Honestly I made a silly mistake that I over shot waypoint 5 by about 100 to 200 m because my Gaia zoom was set at 500 m, only to realize when @Hisham Masaad told me I went past. We looped back there to make a circle and then proceeded to 3 . I chose a longer route compared to the champs ( @Wrangeld , mentioned R in the screenshot below ) as in the screen shot of the tracks below 5B719756-4B18-4587-A956-6DF724D4EC0D.jpeg.5420105092cd812eb46a2d7fc8e7fa02.jpeg

I believe this was the clincher for the champions lead by  @Wrangeld, @Mario Cornejo, @Ruan van den Heever, @Bernard Kalaani and @M.Seidam. They chose a well planned shorter track from waypoint 4 to 3.

But I would feel absolutely proud of my team Saluki - @Anoop Nair for being a perfect 2nd lead in a super tight split second decisions making area. @Warren Flay for being flawless - no refusal and no stuck , simply awesome. @Matt.T For great enthusiasm in the only one rope recovery we had to make it faster. @Hisham Masaad  for being a perfect co-navigator to remind me of the areas I was entering and the waypoints. Of course reminding me to forget side sloping, ridge riding and cross crossing which came naturally to me once  team Saluki came out of tight suffocating technical dunes.  Really proud we came runners up , with 2 or 3 refusals (mainly by me) and one tug .

Special thanks to whole @Carnityteam, crew ( @Gaurav @Srikumar @Frederic), all leads ( @Kailas @Ale Vallecchi @Wrangeld @Lorenzo Candelpergher @Jeepie) and support ( @Tbone @Asif Hussain @Anish S @Rizwanm2 & others if I missed any) 🙏

@Chaitanya D Was a great team, all concentrating all working hard and all enjoying ourselves. Chaitanya I have to commend your skills in leading and navigation putting us in a very admirable 2nd place whilst not losing sight of team safety. @Hisham Masaadthe role as 2nd navigator was invaluable keeping the Boss on target when his focus was diverted to finding a route. Great teamwork and understanding from you both there, well done. The rest of us @Warren Flay @Anoop Nair and myself just did all we could to keep moving avoid errors and enable the job to be done.
Thanks to all and I guess my sporting side should congratulate @Wrangeld and the foxes for winning despite trying to intimidate us at a waypoint clash 🤣!

Well done Carnity for organising was great to see so many club drivers at one time which Covid has prevented until now.

Stay safe and keep your motor roof side up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 4
  • Well Done (+2) 2

41 minutes ago, Matt.T said:

foxes for winning despite trying to intimidate us at a waypoint clash 🤣!

yes ,was a death race to glory🤣

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

Important Information

Terms of use