•  
Advertise here

Advice on buying FJ Cruiser

Dear expert FJ Cruiser Offroaders,

Highly appreciate your advice on the following:

1. I am planning to buy an Offroader which can also serve me well for on-road commute to office etc. So I decided on FJ Cruiser but would really love to hear from the experts on the choice and how it is if I would like to use it for offroading and progress from newbie to eventually higher levels and as well as using it onroad for daily commutes?

2. The 2012 models with mileage varying from 80k-180k are selling for almost 68k-65k. I believe this is a bit overpriced but please let me know your thoughts and also whether I can go for older models as well which has a mileage exceeding 250k?

3. There are 4x4 models available which do not have the rear differential lock and A-trac and wanted to know your thoughts on whether these features can be ignored or it is highly preferable to have them, especially for further levels?

Thanks a lot!

• Well Done (+2) 1

13 minutes ago, Ankit Jain said:

Dear expert FJ Cruiser Offroaders,

Highly appreciate your advice on the following:

1. I am planning to buy an Offroader which can also serve me well for on-road commute to office etc. So I decided on FJ Cruiser but would really love to hear from the experts on the choice and how it is if I would like to use it for offroading and progress from newbie to eventually higher levels and as well as using it onroad for daily commutes?

2. The 2012 models with mileage varying from 80k-180k are selling for almost 68k-65k. I believe this is a bit overpriced but please let me know your thoughts and also whether I can go for older models as well which has a mileage exceeding 250k?

3. There are 4x4 models available which do not have the rear differential lock and A-trac and wanted to know your thoughts on whether these features can be ignored or it is highly preferable to have them, especially for further levels?

Thanks a lot!

Ex FJ Cruiser here:

- As commute vehicle, yes it works, but they are having limited visibility issues in traffic, and quite thirsty.

- The prices are high, but they are extremely reliable as long as they are well maintained.

- The rear differential lock and A-trac are nice to have but not really needed. 

If you look for the Toyota Reliability and want to have a daily commute AND capable offroader, did you consider a Landcruiser Prado ? The 4.0L model has the same engine and frame as the FJ cruiser, you would only need to trim the bumper a bit and put some bashplate. But it would be a far better option as commute vehicle.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Thanks Frederic for your advice. I haven't looked at Prado yet, as I already have a Lexus GX 460 which is a great onroad, and I believe offroad as well but wanna keep it for onroad mainly. I'll look into the Prado as well but in terms of offroad capability does it match FJ's capability levels? 

Just now, Ankit Jain said:

Thanks Frederic for your advice. I haven't looked at Prado yet, as I already have a Lexus GX 460 which is a great onroad, and I believe offroad as well but wanna keep it for onroad mainly. I'll look into the Prado as well but in terms of offroad capability does it match FJ's capability levels? 

In my opinon yes, the FJ cruiser is only slightly more powerful due to the fact it's a little bit lighter. But the Prado is more than powerful enough for any drive level we have in the club. 

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

I feel getting a unabused FJ in the year range you are looking for will be a tough task compared to a Prado in the same year models. Prados are more likely to be driven on road or to malls than the FJs. This in turn means the 4by4 system is virtually untouched which u can use on sand

We have had members who have made it to extreme drive levels with a prado so you should be fine with some min mods as Fred suggested. 

Atrac is not available on prado , but the rest including a diff lock which is most important is available on the Prado ( 4.0 L versions )

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

A friend of mine got a 08 American FJ for 30k, and that's market price for it... Absurd to me.

One reason could be that Japanese made Toyotas are more reliable, hence I doubt you will find a cheaper Prado with similar condition. Plus GX is just a more powerful, softer suspensioned Prado (I have driven both), no major difference.

If you are confident about your knowledge on used cars, have a look of 4runner/tacoma, made in USA but their reliability is trustworthy. Except 0 km ones, they usually come with minor/major accident from USA, some models with Atrac, rear locker, crawling control, same platform with Prado. And for 50k you will find near 2015 ones 

Fortuner is a good one too, made in Malaysia, surely will be cheaper than FJ but driving experience is not as good as the LC platform ones, as Fortuner is based on hillux, it has diff lock option

Or go with Nissan Xterra instead 💨💨💨😈😈😈

Edited by Zixuan Huang - Charlie
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Zixuan Huang - Charlie said:

Or go with Nissan Xterra instead 💨💨💨

Finding a unabused one with the diff lock (Xterra off road version) is almost impossible now as the production stopped in 2015 - which came with the 4.0 V6 engines . The newer xterra with 2.5 L 4 cylinder , is a bit underpowered

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

2 minutes ago, Chaitanya D said:

Finding a unabused one with the diff lock (Xterra off road version) is almost impossible now as the production stopped in 2015 - which came with the 4.0 V6 engines . The newer xterra with 2.5 L 4 cylinder , is a bit underpowered

Agree, but Xterra just feels quicker more powerful than The 4.0 Toyotas💨

and the newer Xterra is just ridiculous, when it came out in south east Asia and China with this engine, I expect Nissan will keep the powerful VQ40DE, for the Middle East region that cares nothing about emissions, but Nissan only keeps it for Patrol☹️☹️

• Sad (0) 1

1 minute ago, Zixuan Huang - Charlie said:

Xterra just feels quicker more powerful than The 4.0 Toyotas💨

You are brushing a very debated issue across platforms.🤣

Marginal difference i suppose . reliability wise FJ is definitely better.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

The FJ Cruiser is superb offroad however the 'basic'/'retro' interior and limited comforts (no climate control, limited to zero sound proofing, etc) make it a  choice for those that enjoy the simple things in life (and have another car to retreat to when needed, such as your Lexus). 

As an owner, my hesitation recommending it is 100% as Chaitanya mentioned - finding a clean one on the used market is incredibly hard and the prices are inflated.  If you do find one, I am 100% a fan and would say the offraod experience makes up for the on road comfort issues many time over!  Also ATrac can be added (after market) to any FJ for minimal cost so if that's missing its not a big deal.  Ideally do go for the car with rear Diff lock and 100% avoid any 2 wheel drive versions floating around. 

The Prado is likely even more expensive however the chances of finding a clean one (not been offroad) are very high and they typically also come better equipped for daily driving with regards comforts. 

• Like (+1) 2