•  
Advertise here

Torque vs BHP - Calling all Petrol-Heads, Enthusiast, Mechanics, Engineers

Niki

On 11/21/2021 at 11:16 AM, Frederic said:

A good example is the Nissan Patrol Y61, which is rather heavy (2400+kgs) and BHP is not that impressive (240hp) but the good amount of torque of 420NM due to is big engine size really makes it shine in the desert (if you know how to utilize its power).

I have a question here on the "how to utilize its power". Here is the graph of the engine performance of the TB48DE in question:

image.png.7823fb66caf4916fe290ab4c11593198.png

By "good utilization" do you mean I should stick around 3k-4k revs to benefit from the higher torque? Imagine I'm climbing uphill, around 4k rev, I feel struggling, should I step more on the gas or let the torque due the magic and hope for the best? It seems to me that stepping on the gas in this scenario will make the situation worse instead of better.

Thank you for your advice in advance ;)

Edited by Sergio Negri
  • Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, Sergio Negri said:

I have a question here on the "how to utilize its power". Here is the graph of the engine performance of the TB48DE in question:

By "good utilization" do you mean I should stick around 3k-4k revs to benefit from the higher torque? Imagine I'm climbing uphill, around 4k rev, I feel struggling, should I step more on the gas or let the torque due the magic and hope for the best? It seems to me that stepping on the gas in this scenario will make the situation worse instead of better.

Very good point. What i meant with good utilization is this:

- your peak torque is indeed between 3-4k revs, so for most off-roading this will be your powerband you should try to keep the 4x4 in (during high level drives that is). That will give you good response and excellent behavior.  

- For climbing, you will need to use that torque in combination with a good headstart, so once your torque dies out, your BHP would take over and you can keep it close to the rev limiter. 

Above are just my two cents as a practical guy. @Rob H is a professional tuner and would definitely be able to go much much deeper into this topic.

• Like (+1) 4

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Get a y62 and you wont worry about all these, just floor it whenever you need some power. You guys gonna hate me after this post.

3C55487C-2EDA-4CCB-B906-131439319626.jpeg

Edited by Lawrence_Chehimi
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • WOW (+2) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

5 hours ago, Sergio Negri said:

I believe the key to climb is momentum and momentum = mass x velocity. 

Before you start climbing, you will need to push your rpm to its peak of horsepower delivery, which is right before the red rpm zone, to have the maximum amount of momentum from velocity.

As you start climbing all the resistance and gravity start to consume momentum and you will see rpm dropping, then you will need to keep your rpm in the peak torque delivery zone to make sure horsepower is delivered for maintaining velocity. 

When the amount momentum left doesnt allow torque to maintain the horsepower delivery, which is when rpm doesnt respond to your pedal and the car starts refusing moving more, thats when you end the climb by steering down and give in to gravity.

In real scenario, we use technics to obtain velocity when we don't have the space to obtain velocity from car itself

Base on my understand above, the strength of TB48DE is that it has big torque to maintain the velocity and the peak torque comes in much earlier, which makes velocity handy?

I hope my understanding is correct in physics, I dont major in physics 😁

Edited by Zixuan Huang - Charlie
Correction
  • Thanks (+1) 1