•  
Advertise here

Wrangler Hard Top Questions

Winter is here and having a Wrangler, I think removing the hard top is the usual practice.

Please advice where do you bring your ride to remove hard top? Cost est?

Where do yo store them?

How do you secure the gears inside your car?

Looking forward for your advice.

• Like (+1) 2

I had removed the hard top last year. You can do it yourself if you have access to 1 or 2 of your friends who can help lift the hard top. All you need is the tool set provided by Jeep to remove it.

I had stored in my parking lot, Being the last car in the row I have some space besides my parking, alternatively you may use one of those standing lift storage systems or strollers in the designated parking space itself. 

i use tool bags for storing all my gear they don’t move around and easier to move in and out of the car. I have 3 bags, 1 with 3 piece AOR shovel, kinetic rope, 2 with tools 3 with Air tools (air hose etc). I keep the first recovery bag in the passenger side foot rest, rest two behind the front seats between in rear seats, they don’t move or rattle as well. Alternatively you can put it in the rear and strap them for extra security.

Last year after I removed the top and drove in the sand, a lot of sand slid into the speakers and they stated to make rattling sound and had hard time getting rid of it. Had a heater button failure (tho it happened after I put back the roof) and finally when i had it fixed that the mechanics cleaned all the sand. 

However exciting it seems, frankly it’s not worth the trouble to remove it for the desert. And as it is a Jeep already makes awful lot of noise and even more after you remove the top. Plus the dust and heat. While the temperature readings on the weather app shows lower temps the actual on road temps are too high. Removing tops in US makes sense where they don’t have all the dust like we have while going off-roading in the mountains & rock crawling etc. 

I am more concerned about dust and sand  in my car because my Jeep is a daily driver and I like a clean car. I go lengths to make sure that the car interiors are in perfect condition (tho if one were to look at anytime might differ that ascertion - since as a off-road car as well, you can do only so much)

Having said all that you - need to experience the fun of topless car first hand, you do. So go ahead remove it and put it in your parking spot. if you have a designated covered parking I am sure no one will flick it off that location.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

don't drive like its your last one.

These are two issues I faced with the Open Top + Sand. Others have varying milage on their open top. This year I am contemplating to remove the top for the on road driving but will put it back for the off-roading. 

Sand in Speaker Jeep JL - Advices - Carnity.com

Jeep JL - Sand Stuck in the Defrost Button - Jeep Wrangler Forum in UAE - Carnity.com

Edited by Looper
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

don't drive like its your last one.

3 hours ago, Looper said:

I had removed the hard top last year. You can do it yourself if you have access to 1 or 2 of your friends who can help lift the hard top. All you need is the tool set provided by Jeep to remove it.

I had stored in my parking lot, Being the last car in the row I have some space besides my parking, alternatively you may use one of those standing lift storage systems or strollers in the designated parking space itself. 

i use tool bags for storing all my gear they don’t move around and easier to move in and out of the car. I have 3 bags, 1 with 3 piece AOR shovel, kinetic rope, 2 with tools 3 with Air tools (air hose etc). I keep the first recovery bag in the passenger side foot rest, rest two behind the front seats between in rear seats, they don’t move or rattle as well. Alternatively you can put it in the rear and strap them for extra security.

Last year after I removed the top and drove in the sand, a lot of sand slid into the speakers and they stated to make rattling sound and had hard time getting rid of it. Had a heater button failure (tho it happened after I put back the roof) and finally when i had it fixed that the mechanics cleaned all the sand. 

However exciting it seems, frankly it’s not worth the trouble to remove it for the desert. And as it is a Jeep already makes awful lot of noise and even more after you remove the top. Plus the dust and heat. While the temperature readings on the weather app shows lower temps the actual on road temps are too high. Removing tops in US makes sense where they don’t have all the dust like we have while going off-roading in the mountains & rock crawling etc. 

I am more concerned about dust and sand  in my car because my Jeep is a daily driver and I like a clean car. I go lengths to make sure that the car interiors are in perfect condition (tho if one were to look at anytime might differ that ascertion - since as a off-road car as well, you can do only so much)

Having said all that you - need to experience the fun of topless car first hand, you do. So go ahead remove it and put it in your parking spot. if you have a designated covered parking I am sure no one will flick it off that location.

@Looper you mentioned about sand getting into every nook and corner of the Jeep. Why didn't you mention the difficulties in having a hair full of dust and sand? Not only the hair infact it will be all over your body. It will be tedious task cleaning your ears. I had a 1956 Willys Jeep before and I loved the feel of driving without a top. Promptly removed it and same day realized the mistake. Open air driving are for motorbikes not for 4 wheelers. The air pushing from the back end to fill in the air displaced by the 4 wheeler moving forward carrying with it the sand and dust kicked up by your 4 tires are a big nuisance. Believe me the thrill of driving an open 4 wheeler will be over in the 1st 10km of driving itself. By the time you reach home you won't be able to recognize yourself with all the dust covering you.  

Edited by Thomas Varghese
  • Like (+1) 2

I use this trolley to keep and move the roof. 
https://www.amazon.ae/dp/B00EPXCVJ6/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apip_SW2Q5Z4qwLI2F

Just make sure you measure all dimensions, as the height of the roof on trolley could be a bottleneck for lifts or doors

IMG_1721.jpg.4fbfd54f5b7002f5b54611ff7531dbd5.jpg

Last season I just moved it to my apartment, vertically it doesn't take a lot of space. But also as on this trolley it just needs very small space it can be stored on the parking slot

In terms of does it make sense?...To me - absolutely, this is that unique experience which you can't get in FJ, Patrols, and other good offroading cars. I'll remove it this season after upcoming trip to Oman (as chances of rain is much higher there + long drives). 

You can also remove doors (BUT MUST install mirrors, 100 AED on Amazon) and drive completely naked car

IMG_1722.jpg.55c5f1b1787f5ac96c583bae88ec1cd9.jpg

Last winter I drove with no roof from Nov till March and had zero cases where I would think about having a roof.

I also have sunshade (to use between 11-14 if needed) and softcover just to be safe if there is rain (no rain last year in Dubai) or long parking in a dusty place (used it 3 times only)

When there is no wind and you are riding smoothly, there won't be much sand inside. BUT, if there is wind, you will make fountains of sand - be prepared, yes, sand will be everywhere (for me the eyes are usually the most critical, it takes at least 24 hours to feel that the eyes are clear)

Cleaning the car after sand was not a problem, sand can be removed easily and the car looked like "lady driven, never being offroad". Also, if it is windy, you can get a lot of sand even in regular car

IMG_1723.jpg.54130f6c70d1b403dc8b259cc9cb6642.jpg

To me, the biggest problem is white dust which you can find while driving near Qudra/Solar Park (that's why I don't drive there)

Edited by Ilya
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Very well said @Looper & @Ilya, you gave me 2 scenarios as based on your experiences. I totally agree to both of you. I think its about the experience and see if it suits me. Though, with window down, dust goes into your mouth is really annoying but nevertheless, I need to feed my curiosity and see from there, plus, its only a weekend car for me.

From storage point, I like the solutions there @Ilya but for me putting it in the house would make wife ballistic, as I've got full acoustic drums and 2 large aquariums🤔.  Storage on my parking space would be a challenge as the building mgt does not allow this.

Are there any garage who would store it for just a season, anyone with any experience on this?

1 minute ago, Reggie Landicho said:

Very well said @Looper & @Ilya, you gave me 2 scenarios as based on your experiences. I totally agree to both of you. I think its about the experience and see if it suits me. Though, with window down, dust goes into your mouth is really annoying but nevertheless, I need to feed my curiosity and see from there, plus, its only a weekend car for me.

From storage point, I like the solutions there @Ilya but for me putting it in the house would make wife ballistic, as I've got full acoustic drums and 2 large aquariums🤔.  Storage on my parking space would be a challenge as the building mgt does not allow this.

Are there any garage who would store it for just a season, anyone with any experience on this?

IMG_2048.jpg

IMG_2046.jpg

IMG_2049.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

Query on similar line.... @Ilya do you cover the vehicle in parking.... Got some cats roaming around all times in my parking, concerned they might scratch the leather or mess up if left open...though have couple of open vehicles around in parking, one element that's driving me nuts whenever I think of taking the roof off. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just commenting regarding the gear storage inside the car

I got this from Amazon and it fits everything inside unless you have a jack

It fits a kinetic rope and shackles, AOR shovel, camel compressor, tools set, water spray, jumper cables, cable ties, ductape, tire valve cores, a knife, luggage ropes, cargo strap, medkit, and fire extinguisher which is better to have it available within your reach under the driver or passenger seats for example

I use luggage ropes to strap it to the trunk's anchor points. Wrap the rope around the handle of the box and then connect both ends to the anchor. Wrap it multiple times for tightening

The more stuff inside the box, the less they juggle while driving 😅

Screenshot_20211122-215703_Amazon Shopping.jpg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1