•  

Full Day Intermediate Desert Drive - Liwa Yellow Truck - Abu Dhabi - 01 Dec 2021 - Gaurav

Gaurav

@PaoloMaraziti sorry to have heard from the thread what happened on the drive and this post about the incident and also  to hear your are leaving club. We only drove once a while ago with Richard and particularly enjoyed meeting you. 

I am also in support of what you said in your last post , and wether or not your were in the wrong in your drive and made an error which you humbly agreed too. There seems to be plenty of errors along the way that were not your fault. Also the way some people may have approached you in this thread i belive is in correct and doesn’t support the ethos of “Let’s watch and grow together “ but more a placing the blame game. Either way I just wanted to say you have been very polite and humble considering the situation you were in, anyone in carnity would have panicked at the top of a dune that size in your position and I would like to say without naming names , opinions  on this thread could of been written slightly more sensitively then they were in consideration .

Good luck and safe driving in future and hope we cross paths again.

• Like (+1) 5

@Mus_hus78
This type of extreme recovery has no set rule book or scenario. In the uneventful scenario, the trip lead needs to make certain decisions and the success ratio is not always guaranteed. Out of all the trip leads and marshals we have, only a handful were ever involved in scenario’s like this, and none of us are supermen. As Gaurav described the first attempts that were made could have gone either way, and Gaurav had more time to think things through and take actions based on what he had seen so far. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

34 minutes ago, Thomas Varghese said:

s Paolo said it was his 1st IM drive and he wanted to gain experience by driving with you he should have said so when the convoy was split. There is no point afterwards saying junior lead, senior lead etc after an incident occurred. 

I don't agree with this comment, completely biased in my opinion.  The leads in @Carnity always say that they consider the experience of the members in a convoy, therefore why should have @PaoloMaraziti raised hand or give a "heads-up" when the split was, from the very outset of the drive announced as a "surprise".

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mario Cornejo said:

when the split was, from the very outset of the drive announced as a "surprise".

Split has been planned since Monday, but kept as surprise so that we can go as one convoy for the first hour to re-access everything before announcing and splitting.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Well said Islam and I just rem to share another example how first attempt usually a part of learning curve than blaming anyone.

When we got the car down, and we need to tow dead vehicle for 20 meter smooth incline, 3 cars and 4 drivers (including myself) failed with all the hp, torque and experience. That doesn't mean that all previous cars and drivers were incompetent or inexperience for such a small tug.

It means nothing is confirmed, guaranteed or proven that we will always be correct in our first attempt when it comes to off-roading.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

2 hours ago, JeromeFJ said:

So disappointed to see the turn the comments have taken since 2 days. Did the so praised values of solidarity and learning together vanish under the harsh sun of Liwa desert ?

Probably @PaoloMaraziti for his 1st IM drive was a bit below the required level. I know how physically and mentally demanding an IM drive can be, and a driver with 1, 5 or 10+ IM drive will not behave the same. But why no one told him ? There were plenty of drives on the same day, and I'm sure he would have happily accepted to change. And once a drive is started, we usually adapt the drive to the participants level, and not the opposite... So what's the point being so hard on him ?

And for @Shaaz Sha also, even with all the training and previous drives, a Lead with 3 or 4 drives lead will not have the same experience than a Lead with 20+ drives lead, so let's recognize he was probably not prepared for this extreme situation, but who would have expected this to happen ? With so many drives in the same area the same day, he could have asked for support earlier. 

Having said so all of us present that day have learned a lot, and Paolo did it the hard way. Luckily he is safe, and everyone else around also, so let's calm down, take the learnings, and keep growing together. 

I totally agree with what you stated here @JeromeFJ

Important Information

Terms of use