•  

Full Day Newbie Desert Drive - Liwa Yellow Truck - Abu Dhabi - 02 Dec 2021 - Chaitanya

Chaitanya D

Drive Report - Full Day Newbie Liwa Drive (No Yellow Truck)

We all set at the starting point well on time , just a few minutes past the planned 7.30 am start considering the fog. We all had a slightly extended briefing considering the challenging terrain we were venturing into. Driving along the dirt track and enjoying the sunrise , we were eager the see the vastness once Liwa opens up.

D95E4C44-DB12-4D6B-A034-634E1C40EBBC.jpeg

The initial part of the drive for about 20-25 kms was free flowing into the massive dunes that we hardly had any radio chatter. While we ventured deeper , the dunes became more taller, more steeper and some sharp drops were inevitable. That's when I as a lead ventured into a slightly tricky area where one drop was ending into a soft patch where if you loose your momentum , one is bound to have a refusal or stuck. We had one car here which had that and all did their best to get the car out with some long shovelling sessions, cooling a overheating transmission , some weird-but safe tugging and finally a double rope tug which got the car out. With some small rerouting and as everyone drove out of this spot , we decided to exit the Pajero as overheating in a cool morning is something which meant definitely as we drive deeper it was bound to have the same issue as the terrain would get more challenging where once will have to use 4-L multiple times.

The closest route to dirt track took close to 90 min - as we had already discussed , no close exits in Liwa unlike in Dubai deserts. This meant we were almost back at the starting point by 12 noon , exit the car and head back. I chose a route as much as possible along the sabkhas/flats - considering the fact that were were heading in a direction which was slightly against the massive slip phases . We had multiple refusals , stucks, shoveling and many tugs as we drove along. I appreciate everyone's cooperation as we decided not to have a formal break for all cars but to refuel and rehydrate ourselves whenever we had a refusal/stuck.

6FFDD0F6-670A-47B1-9825-74D1B9E86DA6.jpeg

I will be mentioning  the drive stats below which will give you all an idea as to why we (a bit disappointed myself) could not make it to the iconic Yellow truck. By around 2.30 pm to 3 pm, we were at a point which was equidistant from our starting point, the yellow truck and our planned exit at the desalination plant. Going to yellow truck potentially meant we would be driving in night , and in this terrain was not a safe option. We decided to take the route to the desalination plant skipping the yellow truck. We drove through multiple falt super soft patches, bowls, sharp and steep drops and finally made it to the exit on dirt track near desalination plant just when it was dark. To see everyone out safely was the whole motto, and we did it!

E9536F15-A82C-49DD-A410-7DE45BC8CD1C.jpeg

@Patrick van der Loo played the 2nd lead to perfection, stopping in split second calls made by me in some very nasty spots. The ones to mention are - when I entered a slightly steeper bowl, another just as we were near the exit and i was stuck on re-laid sand and the last one when I ventured into s super soft bowl just before the exit. Had it not been these stops by you, we would have spent more time shoveling for sure😃

@Vishal Nair with his pajero was the one which had to be exit half way through the drive. Overheating transmission on your model Pajeros is a common issue was we discussed which has been seen multiple times with multiple drives. You need to install a extra transmission cooler with a switch which will save you from these issues when you push your car. You will switch on this only when on sand and turn it off when on tarmac. Considering this we had to exit you early as we would be using 4LLC multiple times ahead . You should also learn and make sure you engage the gears advised to you correctly- the best way to do this would be to practice next time you are on sand (while having a break) and engage the 4H, 4HLC and 4LLC and see how the gears sound and behave. This time around you were in 4HLC all the while which made you dig yourself further , which probably would have been a 5-10 min maneuvering if you were in the correct gear. 

@Mawy did well with his pajero , in some refusals and stucks following as advised. At one spot he was  off track and landed himself into a soft pocket. we had to use double rope to pull him out as even though he was crawling out nicely, the sand there was way too soft. Rest of the challenging drive you did wonderfully well my friend.

@Rob Soughton learned the hard way with some refusals on soft sand long climbs as to why his Prado was unable to . As he started using the tiptronics , climbing in lower gears in 4 H was easier. You were very controlled in all the steep slip phase descents we had and it was wonderful to see that from a distance. 

@Dinesh Kumar A too did well being behind the center forward. Driving on soft churned sand meant you would be having some refusals and as it got hot even a toyota had a overheating transmission 😆. We did cool it in quick time , and you were able to recover yourself in a soft patch.

@Muhammad Qasim drove a FJ at the back with good control and following the advises in soft patches. It is indeed challenging being at the back and driving following multiple churned tracks but you did well. At one spot a lot of counter steer meant you had a pop out which was fixed. It is always better to exit when you are not able to climb and reattempt. Well done buddy, and I believe your son had a nice time watching all the action unfolding.

@kiranshinde was the only fewbie on this drive and hence was at the back. He controlled his beast Y62 well most of the times which was wonderful to watch. Only at one spot coming down a angled slip phase , there was a bit too much fishtail which was very uncomfortable for me to watch from a distance. I humbly apologize  for being a bit loud on advising . If you are in a tight spot like that and are unable to acknowledge , the least you could do was to stop to prevent the situation worsening any further. Barring this , I believe you enjoyed the challenge at the back being newly promoted .

I have to mention my immense thanks to @Rizwanm2 and Carnity legend @Gaurav for supporting this drive. Your presence gave me the extra confidence to push all day long. All the advises, recoveries and the rerouting you guys did were flawless which kept the whole drive super safe in a super challenging terrain at newbie level. Some of the memorable ones being - recovering Vishals Pajero from the soft patch which took almost 90 min, double rope recovery of Mawy by rizwan under the watchful advises by gaurav, rerouting on the slip phases - and especially the last one where I danced on soft sand for quite some time . Only upon deflating to 8 psi I could dance and jump out of the soft bowl🤣. To complete a full day newbie drive in Liwa and getting everyone out safely was a awesome experience.

0717341A-341A-45E2-AC26-A2A30052AFB6.jpeg

Some stats below for you all to relive the experience, some pictures are uploaded in the gallery. Please share your feedback, comments , experiences , pictures and videos. 79791.jpg.7173952663b78188f4653255dbd10457.jpg

7663.jpg.0688268da37a535b6f21f134e71dde40.jpg

Well done and Cheers to all of you

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Thank you for a great day @Chaitanya D  and the trust to have me in 2nd spot. 
I think all of us newbies learned a lot and really experienced how the desert fights back! It was a simply stunning setting - I think we must have taken 100 pictures if not more. 
@Gaurav and @Rizwanm2 thank you for all the guidance and help and the tow! 
I am looking forward to my next visit to Liwa, yellow truck or not! 

• Like (+1) 4

4 hours ago, Chaitanya D said:

We all set at the starting point well on time , just a few minutes past the planned 7.30 am start considering the fog. We all had a slightly extended briefing considering the challenging terrain we were venturing into. Driving along the dirt track and enjoying the sunrise , we were eager the see the vastness once Liwa opens up.

The initial part of the drive for about 20-25 kms was free flowing into the massive dunes that we hardly had any radio chatter. While we ventured deeper , the dunes became more taller, more steeper and some sharp drops were inevitable. That's when I as a lead ventured into a slightly tricky area where one drop was ending into a soft patch where if you loose your momentum , one is bound to have a refusal or stuck. We had one car here which had that and all did their best to get the car out with some long shovelling sessions, cooling a overheating transmission , some weird-but safe tugging and finally a double rope tug which got the car out. With some small rerouting and as everyone drove out of this spot , we decided to exit the Pajero as overheating in a cool morning is something which meant definitely as we drive deeper it was bound to have the same issue as the terrain would get more challenging where once will have to use 4-L multiple times.

The closest route to dirt track took close to 90 min - as we had already discussed , no close exits in Liwa unlike in Dubai deserts. This meant we were almost back at the starting point by 12 noon , exit the car and head back. I chose a route as much as possible along the sabkhas/flats - considering the fact that were were heading in a direction which was slightly against the massive slip phases . We had multiple refusals , stucks, shoveling and many tugs as we drove along. I appreciate everyone's cooperation as we decided not to have a formal break for all cars but to refuel and rehydrate ourselves whenever we had a refusal/stuck.

I will be mentioning  the drive stats below which will give you all an idea as to why we (a bit disappointed myself) could not make it to the iconic Yellow truck. By around 2.30 pm to 3 pm, we were at a point which was equidistant from our starting point, the yellow truck and our planned exit at the desalination plant. Going to yellow truck potentially meant we would be driving in night , and in this terrain was not a safe option. We decided to take the route to the desalination plant skipping the yellow truck. We drove through multiple falt super soft patches, bowls, sharp and steep drops and finally made it to the exit on dirt track near desalination plant just when it was dark. To see everyone out safely was the whole motto, and we did it!

@Patrick van der Loo played the 2nd lead to perfection, stopping in split second calls made by me in some very nasty spots. The ones to mention are - when I entered a slightly steeper bowl, another just as we were near the exit and i was stuck on re-laid sand and the last one when I ventured into s super soft bowl just before the exit. Had it not been these stops by you, we would have spent more time shoveling for sure😃

@Vishal Nair with his pajero was the one which had to be exit half way through the drive. Overheating transmission on your model Pajeros is a common issue was we discussed which has been seen multiple times with multiple drives. You need to install a extra transmission cooler with a switch which will save you from these issues when you push your car. You will switch on this only when on sand and turn it off when on tarmac. Considering this we had to exit you early as we would be using 4LLC multiple times ahead . You should also learn and make sure you engage the gears advised to you correctly- the best way to do this would be to practice next time you are on sand (while having a break) and engage the 4H, 4HLC and 4LLC and see how the gears sound and behave. This time around you were in 4HLC all the while which made you dig yourself further , which probably would have been a 5-10 min maneuvering if you were in the correct gear. 

@Mawy did well with his pajero , in some refusals and stucks following as advised. At one spot he was  off track and landed himself into a soft pocket. we had to use double rope to pull him out as even though he was crawling out nicely, the sand there was way too soft. Rest of the challenging drive you did wonderfully well my friend.

@Rob Soughton learned the hard way with some refusals on soft sand long climbs as to why his Prado was unable to . As he started using the tiptronics , climbing in lower gears in 4 H was easier. You were very controlled in all the steep slip phase descents we had and it was wonderful to see that from a distance. 

@Dinesh Kumar A too did well being behind the center forward. Driving on soft churned sand meant you would be having some refusals and as it got hot even a toyota had a overheating transmission 😆. We did cool it in quick time , and you were able to recover yourself in a soft patch.

@Muhammad Qasim drove a FJ at the back with good control and following the advises in soft patches. It is indeed challenging being at the back and driving following multiple churned tracks but you did well. At one spot a lot of counter steer meant you had a pop out which was fixed. It is always better to exit when you are not able to climb and reattempt. Well done buddy, and I believe your son had a nice time watching all the action unfolding.

@kiranshinde was the only fewbie on this drive and hence was at the back. He controlled his beast Y62 well most of the times which was wonderful to watch. Only at one spot coming down a angled slip phase , there was a bit too much fishtail which was very uncomfortable for me to watch from a distance. I humbly apologize  for being a bit loud on advising . If you are in a tight spot like that and are unable to acknowledge , the least you could do was to stop to prevent the situation worsening any further. Barring this , I believe you enjoyed the challenge at the back being newly promoted .

I have to mention my immense thanks to @Rizwanm2 and Carnity legend @Gaurav for supporting this drive. Your presence gave me the extra confidence to push all day long. All the advises, recoveries and the rerouting you guys did were flawless which kept the whole drive super safe in a super challenging terrain at newbie level. Some of the memorable ones being - recovering Vishals Pajero from the soft patch which took almost 90 min, double rope recovery of Mawy by rizwan under the watchful advises by gaurav, rerouting on the slip phases - and especially the last one where I danced on soft sand for quite some time . Only upon deflating to 8 psi I could dance and jump out of the soft bowl🤣. To complete a full day newbie drive in Liwa and getting everyone out safely was a awesome experience.

Some stats below for you all to relive the experience, some pictures are uploaded in the gallery. Please share your feedback, comments , experiences , pictures and videos. 79791.jpg.7173952663b78188f4653255dbd10457.jpg

@Chaitanya D @Gaurav @Rizwanm2 thank you for the support and patience. I would definitely take all the points into account and the fan is definitely going to be there in the next drive. Thanks to all the shoveling team for the efforts and motivation..
thanks again.. 🙏

• Like (+1) 4
  • Well Done (+2) 1

5 hours ago, Chaitanya D said:

Hi chaitnya, first of all no need to mention apologies becuase it was for our safety. Surely i will improve steering control. I enjoyed drive throughly. Yellow truck is for next time. Thnx to all team. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Good afternoon everyone joined in liwa event. Great fun and many lessons that we have learned from experts. Thanks to @Chaitanya D for breaf comments on us. Thanks to @Gaurav for his expertise and keeping eye on each driver. Thanks to @Rizwanm2 for being in the middle and supportive to the cars in front and the cars in his back. I found on nice picture of @Rob Soughton that I will be sharing and I have some nice videos which I can't upload them here... 

Waiting for the event next. 🙂🙂

IMG-20211204-WA0067.jpg

IMG-20211204-WA0073.jpg

• Like (+1) 4

15 minutes ago, Muhammad Qasim said:

Good afternoon everyone joined in liwa event. Great fun and many lessons that we have learned from experts. Thanks to @Chaitanya D for breaf comments on us. Thanks to @Gaurav for his expertise and keeping eye on each driver. Thanks to @Rizwanm2 for being in the middle and supportive to the cars in front and the cars in his back. I found on nice picture of @Rob Soughton that I will be sharing and I have some nice videos which I can't upload them here... 

Waiting for the event next. 🙂🙂

IMG-20211204-WA0067.jpg

IMG-20211204-WA0073.jpg

You can either upload as YouTube links, or share the videos after you upload onto cloud . It would be great to watch them, thanks

• Like (+1) 1

Some of the videos we took:https://share.icloud.com/photos/0kPkovFO0aQD7-xNImIdZ7rvQ

not sure if it works. First time I try to link to video on Carnity - should be 11 videos

Edited by Patrick van der Loo
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Chaitanya D said:

Thank you Dr @Chaitanya D for wonderful drive. I gained lot of experience and enjoyed magnificent liwa. Thank you for all your hardwork and accompany us all the way till dubai. 👍

Special thanks to @Gaurav for all the assistance and advices to get out of tricky situations. 

• Like (+1) 2

I had heard about the dunes in Liwa before the drive but to experience it first hand was an experience. The landscape is an art with majestic dunes and deep vertical declines. Right from the foggy morning to the drives on loose sand, the vertical drops and the wrap with the golden hour sunset - thoroughly enjoyed the day. Thanks to @Chaitanya D for the amazing lead - great effort and attention to detail in navigating a safe and fun route - amazing energy!! First drive with @Gaurav - learned a lot on how one plans an approach and exit. And finally for the wonderful group to make this full day drive a memorable one. Looking forward to more such drives. 

Attaching some pictures from theIMG_0636.JPG.0ad96b1d4ff5ccc4c13e5b39a03b14cd.JPG drive.

IMG_0635.JPG

IMG_20211202_162504.jpg

IMG_0633.JPG

IMG_0631.JPG

IMG_20211202_164510.jpg

IMG_0620.JPG

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use