•  

Full Day Fewbie Desert Drive - Liwa Yellow Truck - Abu Dhabi - 01 Dec 2021 - Richard

Wrangeld

This drive is organized in full compliance with the COVID19 guidelines. We expect every member that joins this drive to go through below information and strictly follow these guidelines in order not to jeopardize someone's health, and to ensure we can keep organizing these drives safely.

MUST READ AND TOTALLY AGREE: 

Drive Details

Level: Fewbie and above

When:  01 Dec 2021, Wednesday

Meeting time: 7:30 AM (SHARP - Without any exceptions)

Starting Point: https://goo.gl/maps/bZ77eVtDJqDhGJBm7
You can come early and camp in same starting point if you like.

Last Fuel Station: https://goo.gl/maps/D6t1rXkuecZScyPZ9

NO 100 Liters of FUEL = NO DRIVE - Carry additional jerry cans accordingly

• SWB Cars = 2 Jerry can of extra fuel
  • LWB Cars = 1 Jerry can of extra fuel
  • 100+ liter fuel tank cars = No need for extra fuel.

Lunch Break: 1 Hour in between with couple of short breaks (if needed).

Type of Car: Any proper 4x4 with front and back tow hooks and 8-10 inches of ground clearance.

What to bring along: Loads of water, lunch, snacks, face mask, enthusiasm and willingness to learn.

Approximate finish time: 4:00 PM

End Point: https://goo.gl/maps/hcRAsNvzKXnFDTMm7

THIS IS A COMPRESSOR ONLY DRIVE.

LIMITED SPOTS AVAILABLE:

• Limited to 10 Fewbies and above drivers. RSVP will close on 29 Nov, Monday - 9 AM.
    • If the RSVP is full and you wish to join, please mention your name on the drive thread to add on the waiting list. 
  • Latecomers will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Members without RSVP will be returned back - without ANY EXCEPTIONS.
  • Please withdraw your RSVP, if you aren't joining, so your spot can be taken by others.
  • Repeated no-show members after RSVP will have their account suspended for a month.

Please RSVP on Below Calendar:

• Thanks (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Daniel Rodas said:

With @Nikion this drive, I'm sure this is going to be a blast!

Btw, anyone planning on camping the night before?

@Daniel Rodas I was considering camping … let’s see who in our group is thinking the same … (my alternative was to grab a hotel closer by in AD and save an hour in the morning).  

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Niki said:

@Daniel Rodas I was considering camping … let’s see who in our group is thinking the same … (my alternative was to grab a hotel closer by in AD and save an hour in the morning).  

Considered the same, but expensive to save only 1h or so...

I'd rather go for a camping in case we have more people, otherwise will make the move from home.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

On 11/25/2021 at 10:30 PM, Daniel Rodas said:

Considered the same, but expensive to save only 1h or so...

I'd rather go for a camping in case we have more people, otherwise will make the move from home.

Have decided to drive up direct from Dubai as it’s just over 2.5 hours - look forward to seeing you all in the morning - let me know those camping and I’ll try pick you all a fresh coffee from the fuel station on my way there! 

1. Please ensure that you are there at the meeting point on 7:30 AM sharp. Late comers would be sent back. 
2. Firstly, get lots and lots of rest the previous day. The more the better as Liwa will not only challenge your vehicle but your mind as well. We would need your complete focus and fatigue due to less rest is the last thing that is needed on such a terrain. For those who prefer camping the previous night, you can do so at the starting point as its a nice spaced out area. Bring some firewood incase if you wish to have a bonfire to keep you warm. Cleaning up after the bonfire is mandatory.
3. Ensure that your 4x4 is well serviced recently and all the lubes and fluids are topped up.
4. 20 Liter / 40 litre fuel jerry can is needed depending on your vehicle. If you have any doubts, please post your query on the drive post and we will assist.
5. A full fuel tank at the meeting point.
6. Spare tyre should be in good working condition. If not been used recently, ensure that you take it out and check the condition properly. Also ensure that you have the wrench that can be used to remove your tyre (if needed). In the past we have seen that people upgrade their tyres but still keep the the original wrench which is of no use to remove the upgraded tyre. So please ensure that your car has the right tool to remove the tyres (if needed).
7. Air compressor, proper shovel, flag, fire extinguisher, first aid kit,
8. Fully charged radio (tuned to all Carnity Frequencies) with spare battery / radio. If you have a car charger for your radio, please bring it along.
9. Please ensure that you know how to switch off traction control (turning off Air bags is not mandatory for this drive). If it requires pulling the fuse, please research before the drive or better still, post your queries on this drive post and we would assist.
10. Car charger / battery pack for your mobile.
11. Plenty of water, approx 5 litre per person per day.
12. Bring along your breakfast, lunch, snacks, etc in easy to eat packing. We shall be having breaks in between the drive.
13. Dry food, energy bar, cookies, nuts, crisp to munch while driving
14. Bring garbage bags along to carry your trash. Littering in the desert is strictly prohibited.

11 minutes ago, Niki said:

Have decided to drive up direct from Dubai as it’s just over 2.5 hours - look forward to seeing you all in the morning - let me know those camping and I’ll try pick you all a fresh coffee from the fuel station on my way there! 

My advice is that for safety, it's not the best idea to drive up, then drive 10 hours in the desert, then drive home. Your choice entirely, but I  would not do that. 

On 11/25/2021 at 8:23 PM, Daniel Rodas said:

With @Nikion this drive, I'm sure this is going to be a blast!

Btw, anyone planning on camping the night before?

I will be camping. 

• Thanks (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Dear Liwa Wanderers, 

Welcome - we are the Fewbie team for the drive on Wednesday. With the support of @Jeepie and @Niki it looks like we have a great day of adventure before us. 

A word of caution: This will, in some ways be an exploration drive. I did not yet lead in this area so we need to be prepared for anything that might come our way. 

Housekeeping - please look at the post above. It's essential your vehicle is in good condition before we leave. We will be out the whole day, there are no easy and quick exit routes, like in other drives. Once you're in, you're in. It will be grueling on car and driver, and the sands in the Liwa area are deceptive. There are humungous dunes and long descents. If someone is at the top of a dune that we descended with a problem, we cannot quickly and easily reroute and come back. That's why we are so lucky to have the support on this drive we do. It will instill confidence in me to know that there are such experienced drivers in the convoy. 

I will be deciding on the final convoy order on the day of the drive, depending on whether there are people that don't make it to the start and identifying the best position in the convoy for everyone. 

PLEASE - if one of you has a winch, let me know. It's good to know this from the outset in case it's needed and that also helps determine where you might be in the convoy. 

Otherwise, Liwa, Yellow truck is almost a right of passage drive. The sights we get to see are quite stunning so bring your cameras. We will be stopping for photo breaks and food breaks when needed as well as taking a bit of time out just to enjoy the nature around us. We will also hopefully get to see the rare black racing Camels in the farms we pass on the way in (for anyone wondering they are actually native Australia). 

Please post any questions you have here. Otherwise, see you soon in the sand.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use