•  

Full Day Intermediate Desert Drive - Liwa Yellow Truck - Abu Dhabi - 17 Dec 2021

Gaurav

On 12/14/2021 at 3:18 PM, varunmehndiratta said:

Hi Hisham on stock bumper in FJ, is there a possibility to install winch? Been checking for jeep seems will have to go for metal bumper if at all plan for winch. So just curious if options available

You don’t need a metal bumper. It can be installed on plastic bumper as well. Winch technically has its pun bracket. The bracket costs 1350 and the new AOR metal bumper that comes with winch bracket 2100. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

don't drive like its your last one.

11 minutes ago, Looper said:

You don’t need a metal bumper. It can be installed on plastic bumper as well. Winch technically has its pun bracket. The bracket costs 1350 and the new AOR metal bumper that comes with winch bracket 2100. 

Thought that AOR one metal, isn't it?

• Like (+1) 1

Hi @Gaurav just to check, camping plan is On? Haven't reached the level to be camping alone in middle of nowhere in liwa 😂 ..so thought will check before I start packing for that ..

Rest of the group, anyone planning to stay over or all driving back?

Edited by varunmehndiratta

My camping plan is on, as I dont risk to drive 3 hour back after a full day drive.

• Totally Agree (+2) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

15 hours ago, varunmehndiratta said:

Thought that AOR one metal, isn't it?

Yes AOR is a metal one. It is made out of Aluminum, so not as strong as Rubicon bumper, and its hooks are decorative in nature - learnt that the hard way 🥺.

You can install winch on a plastic bumper. I have seen once such Jeep and the winch dealer too confirmed that it can be installed on a plastic bumper and all that you need is a winch bracket. The winch bracket costs 1350 as I mentioned earlier. But the full metal bumper AOR one costs 2100. 

The reason you go with metal bumper because it has the cut out for the fairlead, in plastic bumper you have to do Jugaad.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Looper said:

Yes AOR is a metal one. It is made out of Aluminum, so not as strong as Rubicon bumper, and its hooks are decorative in nature - learnt that the hard way 🥺.

You can install winch on a plastic bumper. I have seen once such Jeep and the winch dealer too confirmed that it can be installed on a plastic bumper and all that you need is a winch bracket. The winch bracket costs 1350 as I mentioned earlier. But the full metal bumper AOR one costs 2100. 

The reason you go with metal bumper because it has the cut out for the fairlead, in plastic bumper you have to do Jugaad.

Hmm.... I thought plastic one in any case is too fragile, not sure it will support the load and stress with Winch ...might just end up being a short term jugaad. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, varunmehndiratta said:

Hmm.... I thought plastic one in any case is too fragile, not sure it will support the load and stress with Winch ...might just end up being a short term jugaad. 

Bumper do not take the load of the winch, it is the body that does all the lifting. bumper only there for the taking in a front hit in an accident. Your plastic bumper pulls nothing in case of recovery, it is the hooks which are bolted to the body that.

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

13 minutes ago, Looper said:

Bumper do not take the load of the winch, it is the body that does all the lifting. bumper only there for the taking in a front hit in an accident. Your plastic bumper pulls nothing in case of recovery, it is the hooks which are bolted to the body that.

Okie...that makes lots of sense.. thanks dear. Though like the Rubicon bumper much better than Sahara's not ready convinced to change the base look yet, so good to know option is there 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Looper said:

Yes, bumper is only a cover, and the full load will be carried by the winch bracket. One of the mistakes made in my case, and unfortunately by a very famous garage, is whenever winching, the load was somehow transferred to the bumper, which got broken in one case. Make sure who ever fix the winch bracket is not connected to the bumper

• Like (+1) 3
  • WOW (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use