•  
Advertise here

Required expert opinion on buying 1998/99 jeep XJ

I am totally agree with Sri. 14psi is taking too much from you. I personally drive on 10psi with my Geolanders. I only ha pop out once which was totally my mistake i slide to the bump. With gearbox, i never drove a LC100 but in Xterra i will always keep it at 1 from the start let it scream, let it go till the rev limiter. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Hi @ShereenMK 

I drive on the the same brand and same size you do 275/70/16 from day one with Carnity. I realised how super amazing these rubbers are in sand and also on road maybe not the best but as for all terrain trim they are fantastic in terms of noise ( smooth ) 

regarding tire pressure I totally agree with @Srikumar 

I started on 12 PSI since my AN and now I always drive on 10 be it summer or winter and rarely ( maybe in summer times ) I needed to re deflate during half way trip back to 10 

pop out , definitely and mainly it’s related to some one style even in 15 psi this may happen with aggressive sudden twist after crossing ( to avoid bumper hitting ) or full steering ( if you see we always take large u turns  to minimise the sheer force on the rubber ) 

my recommendation start on 12 or 11 ( it’s winter now ) and while driving keep it on mind how to minimise the risk of pop out to zero and by time you will see that your approach will be totally different , agile ( even with heavy truck ) smooth and just like a glider 😎

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

@M.Seidam @Srikumar @sertac thank you all for the confidence. I have one doubt as my vehicle is more than 3 tonn, doesn't that increase the chance of pop out at lower pressure and my LC has a huge tendency for fishtail. How can we relate 3tonn + lower tire pressure against pop outs. Too much of physics is always a problem. @Zed on what tire pressure you ride?

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, ShereenMK said:

@Zed on what tire pressure you ride?

on stock wheels, I run 10 psi lowest.

After installing Bead Grip wheels I got overconfident and went 8 psi for 2 weeks. But then overconfidence is not always a good thing, so I strike the middle-ground and set it to 9 psi  😁

• Like (+1) 1

About the XJ, me too i wanted one, had a look at more than 15 cars all over the UAE, but could not find a clean and well maintained one. They were all pretty run down. If you you are lucky and find a good one i think its a great car. not a lot of electronics to fail, easy to repair, plus they are cheap so even if you have to repair something you have budget left for that.

(I am talking from my experience as I always drove pretty old cars. Cant talk about the XJs offroad capabilities as i never had one and also  newbie in that field)

• Like (+1) 4