•  
Advertise here

Fewbie level Prado mods

Hi all, I've been chatting to others during drives and also the Marshalls about modifications on the prado as I develop and take on more difficult drives.

As I move to fewbie I thought it would be good to capture the modifications people made at this level. 

So what mods did you make that were esential, or you wished you did before hitting the dunes at fewbie level?

What mods did you do that you feel were a waste not money and not needed at fewbie level! 

I've already got bash plate but considering bumper cutting. Also I'm still on maxxis HT tyres that get some interesting reactions from people when I have refusal / stuck 🤣

Thanks all! 

• Like (+1) 2

Just with skid plate you will be fine for fewbie.

I did bumper cutting till just below the fog light, great for approaching and departing side ways. I havent had any bumper damage since the cutting. You can see from my profile picture

HT or AT is debatable, we have members and marshals using HT as well. read the below thread to see their perspectives,

https://carnity.com/forums/topic/16910-buying-a-car-no-off-road-experience-doubt-about-tires?tab=comments#comment-98494

My most satisfied modification is the 10mm alu front skid plate, shielded countless damage that could have be done to the car directly.

• Like (+1) 3

Just had my first drive and Being a prado owner would be very interested to get some insights myself. Not that i intend to do mods anytime soon. I think i still have plenty to get out of my stock and neither have the budget 😅…but this would be good information to have. 

• Like (+1) 2

Consider yourself lucky @Rob Soughtonwith owning one of the few 4x4 cars that are comfortable on road, yet very capable offroad as well, and with a Toyota badge the reliability and resale value are your extra gold coins.

I agree with was has been said earlier, the skid plate is a good add-on, and perhaps later you can choose between trimming the bumper a bit or going for a 2" lift kit. Once the HT tyres are on their way out, you will definitely find improvement with AT tyres that will allow you to deflate further down and improve flotation.

• Like (+1) 3

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Skid plate , bumper cut , and a flag mount! Should be enough even for higher levels. @Rob Soughton you did well in Liwa which is a challenge with a stock car , and hence you know it now that it is the skills than the mods which matter.

you can add as the ones you have wear out - AT tires, suspension , etc. word of caution here as some garages may push you to do these mods - but make a informed decision.

Once you have mastered your skills with a stock car, it becomes way easier with these add ons - the most important notably are the skid plates and the all terrain tires. Lift or suspension will be an advantage especially for ridge rides and criss crosses , but even with stock you should not have much issues .

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Hi @Rob Soughton 

I totally agree with what has been said earlier. 
My toy for work and desert is Nissan Xterra 

my experience: 

1.I landed 🛬 to the AN with 10 mm thick Xterra logo Skid  and under radiator plate ( still not mandatory for the AN drive , but that was me ) . Also AT tires ;( the previous tires already run long time with previous owner ) so I put them on and sailed the AN with 😎

2. From my second FB I installed the ABS/traction kill switch , ( but pulling the corresponding fuses also can do ) , were I found it more convenient.

3. Off road lights I installed them when I reached advisor level ( although not mandatory) if you are not the first car . 

No major mods now and later for me ( lift/ suspension / engine / chips / boosters / nitro 🤣 … etc ) 

With all that no ridge nor crest was spared day or night so far 😅 

Land is ours but choice is always yours finally . Good luck 👍

• Like (+1) 2

• 1 month later...

Thought I would update for future viewers of this post. 

bashplate: definitely worthwhile and in my opinion needed on prado as you progress. The first time you hit it, you feel relief you got it rather than panic about what damage has been done.

bumper: removal of any skirts/extra bumper bits. I got the side of bumper cut, after catching it once or twice. 2014>2017 model has quite low bumper at the sides! This was the cheapest and best mod done as it gave me confidence to pick up the speed and not worry about damage when approaching/departing dunes at at angle! 

Tyres: just got some AT tyres after fewbie no6! Will report back on these in a few more weeks!

• Like (+1) 2

Thanks for the update @Rob S, looking forward to seeing this thread grow. With 99% of prados being used as family cars there is not much info on mods that you can find for dune bashing unlike the FJs, Jeeps and Xterras.

I would say the bashplate is a good investment even at newbie level, if after the first couple of drives you feel that off-roading is your calling then get one immediately. As many would have noticed most of the terrains are quite bumpy after the recent rains and especially during the early morning drives when the sand is still quite hard and compact, so you never know when the bashplate might come handy to save your day. You can get 8-10mm Aluminum ones for a reasonable 1100-1200 Dhs from quite a few places. 

I havent yet done the bumper trim but after my first few fewbie drives feel that thats something to look into going forward. Have had the Dunlop AT20 before i even started this new hobby, so far they are pretty good. But i guess the next tyre change will be to Geolanders. 

Thanks @Rob S this is super helpful for all newbies as well.

I'm also finding it difficult to navigate some Prado mods. I have the Adventure model and I'll need to remove front and back spoiler and add skid plate. Plus eventually replace front bumper as the new model will probably look ugly if only trimmed. 

If any one has any image to share for the modified or fabricated front bumper for new model, that would be great.