•  
Advertise here

Ratio between the car lift and the wheel spacers to maintain the center of gravity

Hi,

I have a question in regards to the the wheel spacers. As i have lifted my car 2.5 inches i was thinking to install some wheel spacers to maintain the center of gravity. But i was un able to find any article mentioning the ratio of lift to the spacer width that needs to be used.

Is it something like 1 to 1 ( if i lift 1 inch i will need to have a 1 inch wheel spacer ) 

Your expert advice is highly appreciated. 

Thanks

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Srikumar said:

The general rule of thumb is if you go 2 inch high you go 1 inch wide. But this depends from car to car.

Got it @Srikumar, so in my case i will need around a 1.25 inch spacers.

Thanks for the tip

• Like (+1) 2

So far, i have done the 1:1 ratio (2inch lift with 2 inch wheel spacers) but be careful to test if the tyres are not rubbing anywhere.

Make sure to get them from a reputable brand like H&R and are hub-centered. You really don't want to create any wheel inbalance with these cheap spacers.

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Center of gravity has nothing to do with spacers.  The reason for the spacers is to have more space for the bigger tires when you turn the wheels and avoid the rubbing with the internal pieces. If you dont have that problem dont use spacers. Those will only add stress to the wheels if they are not necessary 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

34 minutes ago, Alexander Alcala said:

Center of gravity has nothing to do with spacers.  The reason for the spacers is to have more space for the bigger tires when you turn the wheels and avoid the rubbing with the internal pieces. If you dont have that problem dont use spacers. Those will only add stress to the wheels if they are not necessary 

@Alexander Alcala you are right,  from physics point of view the spacer have to do nothing with center of gravity . 

I think my question was not technically correct. But what i wated to say is . As i lift my car 2inches high so with that the center of gravity will be lifted upwards as well and this will increase the risk of flip so to eliminate the effect that we caused by the lift we will need to make the car base to the ground wider ( increase the distance between the wheels).

This is as per my humble understanding ( maybe wheel alignment on its own can solve this issue ) 

Thanks

@Frederic

2 hours ago, Frederic said:

So far, i have done the 1:1 ratio (2inch lift with 2 inch wheel spacers) but be careful to test if the tyres are not rubbing anywhere.

Make sure to get them from a reputable brand like H&R and are hub-centered. You really don't want to create any wheel inbalance with these cheap spacers.

Thanks @Frederic do you have a contact or somewhere i can get them. 

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Simon Dawood said:

@Alexander Alcala you are right,  from physics point of view the spacer have to do nothing with center of gravity . 

I think my question was not technically correct. But what i wated to say is . As i lift my car 2inches high so with that the center of gravity will be lifted upwards as well and this will increase the risk of flip so to eliminate the effect that we caused by the lift we will need to make the car base to the ground wider ( increase the distance between the wheels).

This is as per my humble understanding ( maybe wheel alignment on its own can solve this issue ) 

Thanks

@Frederic

Thanks @Frederic do you have a contact or somewhere i can get them. 

I purchased mine secondhand, but there are plenty offroad shops or even online webshops where you can order them.

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

Usually the car pieces are over engineered so 1” spacers shouldn’t have a big impact on your bearings. And it’s cheaper than new rims. 

• Like (+1) 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/23/2021 at 8:44 AM, Frederic said:

Do you mean 2 inch total. So 2 x 1 inch spacers? or have you actually got 2inch spacers on each rim (surely not?) 

• Like (+1) 1