•  

Morning Fewbie Desert Drive - Faqa High Dunes and sharp Ridges - Dubai - 2 Jan 2022

Wrangeld

Happy New Year to all,

Here is the proposed convoy list for the drive in the morning: 

image.png.5fceb3b69cedfd92a509597576100fed.png

Apologies if I got any ranks wrong. 

@Rob Soughton @Reggie Landicho @Gertjan @Dinesh Kumar A @Davie Chase @Felix Obst @Marcin Wronowski @Alexanderrr @Tom B @Amir Amiri

(O I see now, your name wrong Marcin!). 

To the waitlist guys: apologies, we gave preference to those for whom this was the first drive of the weekend. 

It's been raining - so conditions should be fantastic for a challenging drive with lots of excitement. 

As new restrictions have been re-imposed on getting into Abu Dhabi, we will make sure to keep well away from the border line in case there are drivers without a green Al Hosn. This means a slightly different route than I originally planned - but it will still be fun. The entry road is before the Faqa police station (which is the border), so please be careful on your route into the dunes. 

See you soon in the sand.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Sad (0) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Post Drive Report

@Rob Soughton @Reggie Landicho @Gertjan @Dinesh Kumar A @Davie Chase @Felix Obst @Marcin Wronowski @Alexanderrr @Tom B @Amir Amiri

Well, that was a blast! After we exited Marcin - sorry but we could not risk two leaking tires, we drove and drove all the way to the Sorting Hat at Solar Park. Normally, the last 20 kkm of that route are done on dirt tracks, but the convoy was so good (and helped by the conditions) that we could channel our inner Desert Champions and take the off road route. 

A really fantastic drive by everyone. Perhaps we could have crissed and crossed a little more, or we could have ridden more ridges, but I think that the novel circumstances, and getting used to the harder sand on both sides of the dune, we made the right decisions and stayed safe. 

Speedwise, this was faster than normal, again largely because the sand was so wet. Everyone did really well in the drive, without exception: particularly in the treacherous technical section as we get close to the solar arrays and the last piece as we approached the Solar Park visitors centre. You just have to see how few tracks there were in that are to understand that most people would not go there. 

Thanks to my wingman/mentor/support, @Alex Raptor Alex 'The Raptor' Raptor, sorting out every problem (very few this time round). 

Thanks to all of you as well. Good morning's fun. 

Happy New Year. 

See you soon in the sand. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Thanks @Wrangeld for another great learning experience. it was truly a blast and was certainly different in the harder packed wet sand.  As someone smarter than me said, the biggest risk in anything we do are the decisions we make. you certainly made the correct ones today to keep the risk down and us all safe, really appreciated.

And of course thanks also to your wingman @Alex Raptor as always a great learning experience every time we are out, appreciate the knowledge sharing, and your puddle splashing expertise is second to none :)

Great to meet some old and new friends out in the sand it was an exceptional drive made possible by you all, really enjoyed it thanks again @Rob Soughton @Reggie Landicho @Gertjan @Dinesh Kumar A @Felix Obst @Marcin Wronowski @Alexanderrr @Tom B @Amir Amiri

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

What a cracking way to spend the first weekend of 2022! Trying not to lose @Wrangeld over the Sabkha and seeing @Alex Raptor grinning from ear to ear as he floored his raptor through the puddles! 

Thanks to Richard for an awesome drive, I can't imagine what some of that technical stuff would be like in the dry!! 

Great to meet the rest of you all! looking forward to many more Fewbie drives in the future! 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Hey desert-champs,

it was an amazing experience to drive through the desert after the heavy rain (and for me a sleepless night). @Wrangeld Thank you for guiding us through all these various terrains. Was great to meet all of you and feel the carnity spirit on the first drive 2022. @Alex Raptor thank you for the puddle action - it reminded my boys that their dad is everything but not cool 😝, have a great start into the newly designed week and I am looking forward to meet you next weekend!

• Like (+1) 3

Important Information

Terms of use