•  

Radio handsfree?

Karthik Raptor

During the drives, I put my radio in the cup holder and sometimes it's distracting to look down to pick it up. I still haven't managed to find a suitable solution to secure it on the dashboard. Any suggestions?(I tried using a phone magnetic mount but the radio is too heavy for it) and also use a handsfree system (which actually works 😀) pls?

• Like (+1) 4

One solution is to hang it by a ( card hanger ) around the neck ( personally I don’t like this option while lot others use that so it’s near to your hand and you don’t need to fetch it around ) . Others hand set free ( I guess @Kailas is having that or similar) … 

I learned to drive with my left hand and the radio always in my right hand  but it’s me ( in desert only 😄)

• Like (+1) 3

One hand 😱. I am still not there yet  to drive in the desert. Even with two hands I felt like I burnt more calories than I would do in a gym with @Kailas’s technical masterclass on Saturday 😅.

• Haha (+1) 4

I listen to loud music while driving with my windows down so I want the radio as close to me as possible. After trying a mount and an earpiece, I settled on a lanyard as the simplest and most effective setup.

This way it's always on my person - whether I'm in the car or out. In recovery situations, I don't have to switch between a belt buckle or a wristlet both of which would impede if I was doing any shovelling.

I am now getting more comfortable at "one-handing" it too but that only works when @M.Seidamis not leading me through technical dunes ~ what I call the "twisties" 🤣

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Hi @Karthik Raptor I am using the below clip on mike / speaker and it works quite will as it has 2 buttons on it and you can use either of it. Just clip it on your collar and very easy to use without fumbling with the radio unit.

Radioddity RS22 Remote Speaker Mic with Clear Sound, Compatible with Baofeng UV-5R UV-5RX3 BF-888S BF-F8HP H-777 Radioddity GA-2S GA-510 TYT Kenwood Two Way Radio Walkie Talkie (Single PTT): Buy Online at Best Price in UAE - Amazon.ae

radio1.jpg

• Like (+1) 6

Wearing a lanyard may feel like another day at work 😅. Will give it a go anyway, and try the mic too.

Thank you all for your suggestions. Appreciated!

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Anoop Nair said:

Hi @Karthik Raptor I am using the below clip on mike / speaker and it works quite will as it has 2 buttons on it and you can use either of it. Just clip it on your collar and very easy to use without fumbling with the radio unit.

Radioddity RS22 Remote Speaker Mic with Clear Sound, Compatible with Baofeng UV-5R UV-5RX3 BF-888S BF-F8HP H-777 Radioddity GA-2S GA-510 TYT Kenwood Two Way Radio Walkie Talkie (Single PTT): Buy Online at Best Price in UAE - Amazon.ae

radio1.jpg

@Karthik Raptor, I use the same setup which Anoop mentioned.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I used to use the external mics I have couple of them but not using them anymore after I was told that the my voice from those was not very clear. If you want you can take one from me to try. They are comfortable, you put the Radio on your waist belt on the side and fix the mic on your shirt collar and more comfortable to work with. 

These days I just keep them in the cup holders and pick up whenever I need to announce something.

But at the end buddy you are overthinking about it. There is no split second urgencies that need to be declared. You can take a second or two to collect the radio from the cup holder and announce. 

Also driving with one hand is not as bad as you think it is. For me I tend to over stear when driving with both hands, and on high speed technical drives - especially the ones you mentioned with @Kailas I drive with just my right hand, holding on to the A pillar handle with my left hand on my Jeep. 

Edited by Looper
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

don't drive like its your last one.

I have managed to use Kwik clips from Ace to secure the radio and velcro for the external mic. Seems pretty solid, will test them in my next drive 🤞

F5305A11-1AF5-4EA6-BE91-BE7531EA5561.jpeg

Edited by Karthik Raptor
  • Like (+1) 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/4/2022 at 12:09 PM, Karthik Raptor said:

I have managed to use Kwik clips from Ace to secure the radio and velcro for the external mic. Seems pretty solid, will test them in my next drive 🤞

F5305A11-1AF5-4EA6-BE91-BE7531EA5561.jpeg

Naice idea....will try as personally i find it irritating to carry it with lanyard and also not comfortable with it in cup holder...prefer to keep things at specific location all tied up at apt place. Cupholder is for coffee ...w🙂 was thinking of tying it on passenger side handle bar using cable ties, however i frequently have passengers with me so not a viable option. 

Couple of queries - the location you have for radio, doesn't it interfere while steering? Also the issue with external mic when you pull the cable must be putting quite a stress on Clip, since you have already tried on couple of drives, do share your feedback.  

Again as @Looper mentioned one gets used to it and there's never a super urgency, however i surely like the idea of having perfect spot for it. 

Edited by varunmehndiratta
  • Like (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use