•  
Advertise here

Advice for Ram owners

Nathan

I thought I’d start a new topic regarding general advice with the Ram. Predominately I am concerned with progressing into Fewbie (and maybe even beyond) territory with the vehicle ‘as is’. It’s taken a beating in newbie level drives and even though I am officially now a fewbie I am fearful of risking it just yet.  

So, I just wanted to highlight the pitfalls of this car for other owners or potential owners. 

- the front bumper is super low, which makes approach/departure angle awful. The stock ‘bash plate’ has taken a beating and I’ve been quoted around 8k to get something decent put on there. It requires a whole front bumper change 

- the electronic transmission sucks! Coming out of 4L when trans temp is high is impossible. After any tug the 4wd system gets temporarily disabled 

- there is no ability to disable side airbags. The fuse for them is connected to the ECM. Removing it would disable the whole car 

- the break over angle is awful due to the long wheelbase. Prepare to crest many many times

That being said, it’s so fun smashing round the desert in a big V8! It’s very capable in deep soft sand, rarely gets bogged down, and of course it’s weight and inertia helps to get through some very tricky spots. 

If any seniors have advice on dealing with these issues mentioned above I’d appreciate it, but I don’t think the car ‘as stock’ would be able to handle a fewbie drive.

• Like (+1) 4

Done one newbie ride with carnity and a couple drives with some friends in the same car you have, 100% spot on so far on what you said. Break over angle is horrible , Been thinking of a few suspension lift mods already but would most likely affect the warranty and I don’t want that just yet.. Banged the skid plate one too many times already, front bumper is too low, level kit? Maybe.. also not sure on that just yet, aftermarket bumper options are design ur own locally for as u said 8k ish or ADD bumper for about 11k from the US, too expensive eventually may end up costing like a trx with what I have in mind .. thanks for starting this post im curious to learn about the car more and what can be done.

The traction control button on 15 second hold seems to turn off stability control yet it still does have some traction controlling function which I think the fuse is the only option to completely disable ?

• Like (+1) 2

Lift kits are just going to raise that huge centre of gravity and make it top heavy I think. The TRX looks great though! 
The first thing I had to do was lose the front number plate and switch it for a small sports plate. 
If you take out fuse 26 then you will be able to disable all driving aids. I don’t even bother with the cabin switch anymore because it doesn’t turn everything off. I keep meaning to take a photo for you! 

• Like (+1) 1

Cant afford the trx and I won’t pay what’s being asked for it close to half a million dirhams on most dubizzle sellers..happy with my rebel for now but do feel it’s not as suitable for this terrain as other offroad trucks are (trx, gladiator, raptor) .. Where did you get a sports number plate bracket from? 

51 minutes ago, Nathan said:

he stock ‘bash plate’ has taken a beating and I’ve been quoted around 8k

quote of 8k for bash plate is a joke....  even a full steel offroad bumper wouldn't cost you this figure

you should not spend more than 1.5k for just the front one, 8-10mm aluminium, try to call up more workshops.

but dont get into the bash plat yet, with what you mentioned, 4L transmission high temp, 4wd disabled after a tug, unable to disable side airbags.

if you cant solved them anyhow, perhaps looking into something else is a better option, those will definitely annoy you in more challenging drives, especially in summer heat that is coming not so soon.

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

7 hours ago, Zixuan Huang - Charlie said:

quote of 8k for bash plate is a joke....  even a full steel offroad bumper wouldn't cost you this figure

you should not spend more than 1.5k for just the front one, 8-10mm aluminium, try to call up more workshops.

but dont get into the bash plat yet, with what you mentioned, 4L transmission high temp, 4wd disabled after a tug, unable to disable side airbags.

if you cant solved them anyhow, perhaps looking into something else is a better option, those will definitely annoy you in more challenging drives, especially in summer heat that is coming not so soon.

Sorry, to clarify, 8k is to do a full front bumper swap, plus bash plate and grill. As far as I can understand it, there is nowhere to fit a bashplate without doing a full bumper swap - but I am shopping around so will report back. 

I mean, in fairness I won’t drive in the full summer heat. But changing the car isn’t an option for me just now, so I will have to find a way through! 

it sounds like I’m complaining a lot about the car, which I’m not because I absolutely love it! It puts a huge smile on my face when I drive it! It’s just got it’s quirks which are annoying. 

Edited by Nathan
Remove words
  • Like (+1) 1

If i was you i wouldn't go further with a truck which impossible to disable to side airbags. In Fewbie + or Intermediate level sooner or later those airbags will deploy. You can buy a good off roading car with budget of 25-50.000aed and keep this bad boy for daily. 

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

• 5 months later...

Hi guys,  I had an experience this morning that made me think that we should perhaps not be worried about popping airbags on the RAM.  I slammed my front bumper on my 2022 RAM Limited rather hard this morning on a Carnity drive in Al Qudra.  I luckily already  removed the plastic air dams a few weeks ago, but the impact still left a dent the size of a mellon on the chrome bumper, broke 3 bolt points on the bumper and popped one of my parking sensors, but still the airbags did not pop.  Perhaps the RAM automatically switches it off when turned in to 4x4?