•  

Morning Fewbie Desert Drive - Al Khaznah to Fayah - Abu Dhabi - 15 Jan 2022

Frederic

5 minutes ago, Anoop Nair said:

All, Anyone knows which is the nearest petrol station to the meeting point coming from Dubai. @Zed@Frederic do you know which one is the closest .Thanks 

I usually stop here:

ADNOC Service Station | Sweihan (960)
800 300
https://goo.gl/maps/ZnnzEJzBnqHe9RwdA

• Like (+1) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

9 minutes ago, Anoop Nair said:

All, Anyone knows which is the nearest petrol station to the meeting point coming from Dubai. @Zed@Frederic do you know which one is the closest .Thanks 

@Anoop Nair depending where you're coming from:

1. ADNOC Service Station | Remah (947)
https://goo.gl/maps/KHssPTfJYuLWvWNo9

2. ADNOC Service Station | Abu Samra (864)
https://goo.gl/maps/uNYXcBeVz8xmrztM7

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

It's so great to do a drive in AD. Great views, always nice terrain to explore, and good team mates to have some laughs with !

@Josh T.and @Zed, thanks to your support and help it was a breeze, and @Mus_hus78 his second lead made it perfect.

Sorry you could not make it on time @Adnan Halepota, hope to see you soon again in the sand.

We started the drive with the long climb, parallel to the fence, and already i could feel the sand was very compact. The area north of the Remah Camel race track was very inviting, with some nice dunes and large bowls, and unfortunately some bulldozer tracks but that did not bother us too much. 

From there we looped back to the West, with the plan of going towards Faya. The terrain became more technical, bushy, and whatever stuff was loose in the car was now flying around. Perhaps next time we keep going North a bit further before going West, but the many fences we came across made it a bit more difficult to find clean patches and playable dunes. Anyways as i mentioned at the start of the drive, exploring an area and fine tuning it for later is what i love doing, so i had a blast and hope you all had a good morning too.

We covered around 88km without any issues. @Salim Akhtarwas on his first FB drive and after the first minor apprehension from seeing the big bowls (i know the feeling) he got his bearings and drove fantastic for the rest of the drive. @Derius Olivier who is contemplating how far the LR3 will take him proved us that it can do a lot, but i agree these 4x4's are difficult to tame.

@Pascal and @Julian Patterson who got their promotion the evening prior, took on the FB challenge effortlessly. Well done guys !

@Santoso Marjuki it was probably the first time we drove together and you really impressed me. Yes of course your 4x4 is super capable but clearly its also in the right hands !

@Anoop Nairwho loves his dose of AD terrain on a regular basis, i hope you had fun in the back. You drove superb.

I think we can definitely explore this track further, and optimize for future use. With Sweihan still being wounded, we need to scout more AD terrain, if you guys have any suggestions please let me know, i will be happy to cross the border (Green pass in hand) to explore it with you !

WhatsApp Image 2022-01-15 at 12.10.49.jpeg

210429013_WhatsAppImage2022-01-15at12_10_50.jpeg.692ee45654744f4c3622a0fba9e4b577.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

1 hour ago, Frederic said:

@Salim Akhtarwas on his first FB drive and after the first minor apprehension from seeing the big bowls (i know the feeling) he got his bearings and drove fantastic for the rest of the drive.

According to his Drive Profile, it's actually @Salim Akhtar's 5th Fewbie Drive, but he does keep a low-profile and smile it off, good man😁👍🏻  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Frederic said:

if you guys have any suggestions please let me know, i will be happy to cross the border (Green pass in hand) to explore it with you !

Hi @Frederic , for next time we can start from same track but mid-way cross North instead of West like you mentioned; see the Yellow Arrow below. Where the Green, Cyan and Blue tracks converge, there's a nice play area for high side-sloping 😊  It'd be minimum Fewbie tho as plenty of technical ups & downs and straight-crossings needed.

E4F5F2E1-E05F-40B4-BE8F-9DCCEE1ABE8D.png.da687cd9c45eb1cd6e1e617b088c62c7.png

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Zed said:

Hi @Frederic , for next time we can start from same track but mid-way cross North instead of West like you mentioned; see the Yellow Arrow below. Where the Green, Cyan and Blue tracks converge, there's a nice play area for high side-sloping 😊  It'd be minimum Fewbie tho as plenty of technical ups & downs and straight-crossings needed.

E4F5F2E1-E05F-40B4-BE8F-9DCCEE1ABE8D.png.da687cd9c45eb1cd6e1e617b088c62c7.png

That was my initial plan, but as time was slowly running out, i decided to keep heading West, due to the main reason that we were going to lose more time going up North, which is against the slipfaces of the dunes.

Ideally, we should start at Faya next time and work our way down towards Remah, which would be a lot easier (no slipfaces). Then close it off with a coffee at the Tilal resort :) 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

3 hours ago, Zed said:

According to his Drive Profile, it's actually @Salim Akhtar's 5th Fewbie Drive, but he does keep a low-profile and smile it off, good man😁👍🏻  

My apologies, i must have checked somebody else's profile. 

Important Information

Terms of use