•  
Advertise here

Fortuner vs Prado

Hi, I'm new to the region and forum and I'm buying preowned car. I'll use it for daily use (transport bike to bike track etc) and to start off with off road driving in UAE. I have some experience owning Discovery 2 for 14 years and lately LR4, but here I'm looking at Toyotas. 

I'm looking at Toyota Fortuner and Prado. Any advice which is more suitable for this region. Which has better resale price? Anyone with experience owning and driving both offroad?

Thanks in advance.

• Like (+1) 1

Prado.

Both capable doing offroad, but:

1. Prado is based LC platform, hence it is a way better "onroader" than the hillux utility pickup based Fortuner. 

2. Prado is produced in Japan, you can always trust Japan made Toyotas' long term reliability and they tend to have highest resell value in market (LC, Prado, FJC), Fortuner is made in Malaysia if I am not mistaken. I owed a 05 Prado before, it ran better than my 10 Nissan Pathfinder with similar mileage.

However, for Prado you will need to do some extra modifications/adjustments to the front bumper/skirting/bumper guard, because those lowered Car's approaching angle and can be damaged during offroading.

Also Prado is more expensive than Fortuner.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Welcome @Vasja Zupan !

There is a big difference between both. The Landcruiser Prado is a very capable off-roader but also a very comfortable family car.  It has various options and they have very good resale value.

The Fortuner is basically a Hilux with a body on top. This is a ladder frame SUV that’s not very comfortable and is mostly very basic in options.  The strong point of the Fortuner is the Off-road capability and simplicity. 

In both models and you will be able to choose the 2.7 and 4.0 (V6). The 4.0 is definitely much more powerful and will give you more capabilities in the desert.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

5 minutes ago, Hisham Masaad said:

Welcome @Vasja Zupan to the club. As you can see above  comparisons between Fortuner and Prado, it is obvious, the answer is FJC

The best choice is Xterra. Its powerful, nimble and relatively cheap to maintain than any other off roading 4 X 4's as 2nd hand spares are aplenty if at all you break something. Has good ground clearance in stock condition itself. A bash plate, flag mount and you are ready to offroad.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Vasja Zupan said:

Thanks @Frederic!

Wanted to add that the new model Fortuner is a fantastic vehicle and has plenty options and is very capable off-road 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

I test drove a fortuner, Prado, LR4. On road, LR4 was best, followed by Prado then fortuner. I ended up going for Prado! 

Added bonus of the Prado is that many people get out of your way when charging down sheik Zahed rd!

I trimmed the bumper and got a bash plate and enjoying the dunes. Depending on Prado age and model, wheel size will be 17 or 18 and if a newer one, 18 or 19. Try to get a model with the smaller wheels as will help to get better tyre footprint when deflated.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1