•  
Advertise here

Fortuner vs Prado

15 minutes ago, Vasja Zupan said:

Thanks all for all replies so far. Really helpful.

I've also noticed that recent Prados as offered by Toyota.ae spec do not have rear differential lock. Fortuners do. 

Any thoughts or info on that?

That's a good point. Having a rear diff lock is a great thing during self-recovery, but not a big dealbreaker if the car doesnt have it. The last years most SUV makers are using "technology" such as A-Trac and other traction control techniques so avoid the wheels from spinning. It might be that the Fortuner keeps using the old classic technology while the Prado went more "electronic" but that is just my guess.

Other Prado and Fortuner owners can perhaps chip in.

@Rob S @Patrick van der Loo@Luca Palanca Falsini and some others..

• Like (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

@Vasja Zupan welcome to the club and country,well i had the same question and but after speaking with lot of dealers and online research i bought a Prado(gxr 2022) ,i drove both of the cars,prado suspension and overall comfort is way better than fortuner on turn you feel more confident in Prado,prado engine is more powerful and gear ratios are improved compared to fortuner although they have the same engine,prado are always on H4 this gives better control while driving,i have been driving my prado for 4 months on road and off road it is always on H4,therefor  i just simply deflate my tyres while driving in desert.

You asked about rear diff lock,well it has center diff lock which is more than enough to challenge any terrain,i only use it incase im stuck (which is very rare 😀)the electronic 4wheel driving system is amazing in prado distributing power equally and at the right time when you need it, ground clearance is not any issue if your buying gxr,vxr has additional front and rear bumper lips and side skirts,they always have leather seats which are not recommended for offroad because they have heated and cool seat with some tiny holes eventually all the sand will be stuck in it

The only modification i did so far is skid plate they come with 2mm i have installed a 8mm thick skid plate,not sure if i have missed anything but incase you have any more questions and need assistance you reach out to me 🙂

Edited by Waqas Parvez
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

Same here re- the Prado. Overall comfort (I have the Adventure model with all the options) is extremely high. Although calling it adventure and installing spoilers to make it a mall crawler doesn’t really make sense. I only once ever needed the Center diff lock. Normally 4H is enough, and the way power is distributed is more than adequate for rides. I removed the spoilers (hence the Dalmatian look) and installed a 10mm bash plate. But still split the front bumper taking a small dip a bit too fast. Overall could not be happier with my Prado. Luxury during the week and off road fun on the weekend. If you want to join me on one of the desert rides to see how it handles you are more than welcome. 

Edited by Patrick van der Loo
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Thanks @Frederic, @Waqas Parvez and @Patrick van der Loo,

I was thinking the same about rear diff lock. I guess there is also an option of putting ARB Air locker or (probably easier) Eaton E-Locker in as rear diff lock if really later needed. 

@Waqas Parvez and  @Patrick van der Loo - I'm in exactly the same spot now: Looking at Prado Adventure 2021 vs Fortuner VRX 2019... however there is a significant price difference... Is there any other spec element that one needs to be careful about at selecting Prado? Like any key difference between GRX vs VRX and Adventure versions one needs to be aware of?

welcome to the club @Vasja Zupan, hopefully you will soon be welcomed to the prado club as well 😀. Prados are basically FJCs that come with family comfort. I have the 2010, have owned it for 8 years but still love it wether on or off-road. You dont really need to add an extra air locker, the central differential is more than enough if you get stuck i.e. if you ever need it as mostly 4L is good enough. I still drive stock except for the skid plate but like i said its basically FJC with added comfort and visibility (FJ Owners might get offended there 😝) so whatever mods you can do on a FJ you can on a Prado as well if you ever want to go that way.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

49 minutes ago, Vasja Zupan said:

Thanks @Frederic, @Waqas Parvez and @Patrick van der Loo,

I was thinking the same about rear diff lock. I guess there is also an option of putting ARB Air locker or (probably easier) Eaton E-Locker in as rear diff lock if really later needed. 

@Waqas Parvez and  @Patrick van der Loo - I'm in exactly the same spot now: Looking at Prado Adventure 2021 vs Fortuner VRX 2019... however there is a significant price difference... Is there any other spec element that one needs to be careful about at selecting Prado? Like any key difference between GRX vs VRX and Adventure versions one needs to be aware of?

Prado has OEM rear locker, not sure from which GCC region but maybe not UAE. 

The previous Prado VXR I believe it adds KDSS and air suspension for greater comfort. But now I see only adventure GXR EXR trims available for 2022, you can refer to spec sheet for key differences in between.

We need some opinions from Fortuner owners, its 0 - 10 for Fortuner so far 🤣

1 adventage of Fortuner I must add, Fortuner's peak torque happens 3800 rpm and Prado's 4400 rpm. Altho Prado has more power, but it weights more as well. Fortuner's engine may be old but not obsoleteLife Lessons From Arnie, Get Old, Not Obsolete

Edited by Zixuan Huang - Charlie
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

The adventure is basically the previous VXR (I believe that is what it was called) luxury model model year '22 with some extra trim, black wheels, spoilers etc. I picked it because of the the luxury items like the split climate control, sunroofs, bluetooth apple carplay, ventilated leather seats etc. - I wanted the luxury during the week and for longer road trips ...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1