•  
Advertise here

Are Braces for Differentials worth it?

Over the past few drives, especially when crossing crests, I've noticed that I end up giving my car a belly rub. As my car is still under warranty, and will be for some years to come, I won't be upgrading the suspension to add any lift just yet. Hence, I need to do the best I can with the ground clearance I have right now.

With this in mind, I've begun looking at a few solutions - apart from improving my angle of attack and departure. Since Aussies are still the most active mod market for the Y61 Nissan Patrol (GU), most of them recommend welding braces to the differential to strengthen these against hard knocks just like a bash plate. I recognize that their worth is probably much more realized for overlanding across varied terrain apart from sand.

Do we have any experience here on their benefits or are they overkill?

image.png.d41ed601e430784362780b39f9984fe9.png

This is indeed overkill for sand.

Patrol Y61 Achilles Heel is the diff endpoint bending with hard jump, especially when landing on one side.

Search here, I rem posting my Y61 braces done by previous owner, just a small u shaped bracket welded on each endpoint. Had my SWB for 2 years in sand and never bend anything with those braces

• Thanks (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

29 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

Patrol Y61 Achilles Heel is the diff endpoint bending with hard jump,

Thanks @Gaurav - much appreciated. I will look at the diff endpoint as the first point of failure to reinforce.