•  

Absolute Newbie Desert Drive - Al Qudra - Dubai - 6 Feb 2022

Foxtrot Oscar

@Foxtrot Oscar - My Apologies for a last minute drop off, This doesnt reflect my seriousness of how much I was looking forward to this drive! Am sure the team had amazing fun, and Hopefully I make it to next one...🙏🏼

• Like (+1) 1

Many thanks Angela @Foxtrot Oscar for the drive yesterday morning. It was a beautiful and smooth introduction to the desert driving, and we have all enjoyed a lot ! Even if we crossed the way of some other convoys, you took us through empty spaces of the Qudra area, and we could enjoy empty dunes, beautiful desert landscape, and cross some gazelles and a lonely oryx who was marking his territory.

Of course the main purpose was to drive and to explore the capacity of the cars and the drivers. The progression from the shabka to the first dunes, and to the first slopes were perfect to get the first feeling of the movements of the cars, that weird feeling of driving sideways on an incline, or being nose up, with only the sky in sight, and nose down, carefully holding the brakes to avoid touching touching the bumper on the ground. After the brake, as the team was really doing well, and the sand conditions were excellent, Angela has increased the pace of the drive and we could really enjoy riding those dunes. In some occasions, it was more difficult at the back of the convoy as the track were a bit churned by the first cars, and we had to use more momentum to pass through the softer sand.

The group did very well, a few stucks and refusals where the first opportunities to see that with some guidance, and making use of the features of the cars (4 Low, diff-lock...) it is possible to self-recover from many situations. The Prado of @Vasja Zupan got stuck on a crest, and this required a bit more effort to shovel the sand below the car. The situation was a bit more precarious with a deep pocket of soft sand on the side, and a dead tree just below. An excellent team work allowed to extract the car from the difficult situation. In the last minutes of the drive, @Waqar Ahmed Khan got crested in a similar situation (without the tree). To save time I decided to use the rope and give the car a small tug form the rear. Just to remember that it is important for each car to have proper recovery hooks at the front and at the back.

@soumyasaklani, thank you for the excellent support as 2nd lead, welcome back in the sand !

@Vasja Zupan, very well done, including the efforts in the self-recoveries, good control of the Prado

@Paul OR, nice drive, no issue at all taking the Pajero to the dunes. And careful listening to the support instruction when you were in a difficult situation. Keep enjoying !

@Krishna R, well done also, your car is a bit heavy, you will realize that you need more momentum in some situations to pass the obstacles

@shailendra singh vilkhu, good job with the Montero. You were in sync with your car and attentive to the support instructions. Continue the same

@Ameera AlMarzooqi, excellent control of the LC100, with a good combination of momentum/ trajectory to pass through some difficult configurations. Check the operation of your gear box, as I have the impression that you were in 2H sometimes, and not 4H

@Waqar Ahmed Khan, the heavy Patrol requires more power to pass through the obstacles. Use it with moderation, and don't hesitate on the top of the crests, and you will see an improvement. Also listen carefully to the support instructions during recoveries, it will help you to get out safely.

@CEdric Rodrigues, good job taking the Patrol out in the sands. You will see that the car has largely enough power to compensate its weight. You will enjoy a lot discovering the capacities of the car !

@Sam H, very well done with the Safari. The car is born for this environment, only asking for more !

Thank you all for joining, and see you soon in further drives !

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 3

On 2/3/2022 at 5:06 PM, Paul OR said:

Hi ! 
1. Pajero 3.5L 4 doors brown

2. Absolute newbie, first time driving in desert

3. 2 front tows points / 2 rear tows points 

Paul 

@Foxtrot Oscar @JeromeFJ

Thank you for organizing  this driving in the desert. 
It was a great experience and I have a lot of fun. 
You both manage very well when we met some refusals. 
Clear instructions and good advices to get back on track ourselves. 

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Hey all,

It was an amazing drive on Sunday. I learnt a lot about driving in the desert, it being my first time and all. @Foxtrot Oscarwas the best first marshal i could get. She took us step by step, from the sabkha to the technical dunes and the side sweeps, waiting patiently for us to understand our cars and how they perform offroad. Thank you @Foxtrot Oscarfor being patient when I couldn't climb over some dunes and also for your on-point instructions for self recovery. I was able to overcome most of my fears during the first drive itself but I believe its a long way to go :)

A big shout out to @JeromeFJfor taking care of us from the end of the convoy. your commitment to come to every stuck/ refusal and help out is commendable. From guiding us at the deflation point to deflate, check our radios, resolve any queries we have, till the end of the drive to ensure everyone is safe and ready to go back on road, your support is highly appreciated. Looking forward to many drives with you being the sweeper :)

The best part of the drive for me was the side sweeps and going over the tall dunes. 

Looking forward for the next newbie drive. They are full already 😕  

image.png.b3526df6051925843d053c2ff257cfd5.pngimage.png.48aff0a75b39a4df807e4246bf61e692.pngimage.png.c12a45487c83a6941139fa03117facd5.png

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

2 hours ago, Krishna R said:

Hey guys, 

Please share pics of the drive, in case you took some during.

You can upload them in the Gallery https://carnity.com/gallery/category/1219-absolute-newbie-al-qudra-dubai-6-feb-2022

• Totally Agree (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use