•  

Morning Newbie Desert Drive - Dubai SkyDive - 13 Feb 2022

Islam Soliman

Hello Team,

An amazing drive made even better by all my fellow riders.

Thank you @Islam Solimanfor organizing this drive. The lead and the paths were awesome. Your continuous appreciation for all drivers after completing a sweep or dune crossing is commendable. This is my 3rd drive and I felt I did better than my last 2 drives even though i had to be tugged out a couple of times. But I can tell you that my stucks in the previous drives were more preventable. In this drive, I learnt to control my car without giving much gas and just using momentum even though i got stuck because of it, but I learnt a lot about how much power i need depending on the nature of the sand. I am getting there slowly but steadily :) @Islam Solimanyour inputs on handling and controlling a heavy car in the dunes was very beneficial and boosted my confidence in doing side sweeps. 

A much deserved shoutout to @Looper, You were amazing man, in your yellow jeep. Very quick and agile in going to refusals and stucks and your guidance to self recover. Thank you for your tips during the break. Within a short time into the drive, you identified that I wasn't gassing my car properly and your advice helped me complete the drive without any major stalls. 

Also, @OwaisGreat job with the silverado. I was expecting more stucks/refusals from you :) you disappointed me man, with your excellent driving skills. Same with the white xterra. you guys proved that the driver is more important than having a powerful engine or a SWB. 

Both @Islam Solimanand @Looper's radio instructions were on point and clear. A thank you to both of you once again for fixing my pop-out at the last minute of the drive. your commitment to ensure that the last car reaches the tarmac before you guys leave is admirable. Looking forward for many drives with you guys in the future.

Overall, it was a fun filled drive and quite honest, I had a feeling that we ended the drive too early (even though we left the sands at 11 am), I was in the mood for more. Probably, I should check a full day drive next time :) 

P.S.

Also, I would like to know the drivers tips and inputs on what maintenance might be needed after completing a drive, if any.

for eg, after the drive, the steering in my car was vibrating a lot and was very tight especially when turning at high speeds. Got a full body wash done and took it to tyre shop to check for alignment - was OK. I was scared that i broke by suspension or something major. Garage guy checked the power steering fluid and it was low. topped up the fluid and the steering was smooth as before. Still need to check if there was a leak. Cant be the case as I changed the hoses and the entire power steering setup a couple of weeks ago. 

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 3

@Islam Solimanthanks a lot to organize the drive. It was a wonderful opportunity to drive as SL to observe the leaders maneuvers closely and learn. I enjoyed all the slide slopes & self-recovery tips. Thanks  @Looperfor all the support.

Looking forward more drives with the team

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 1

A bit late in the day for my thoughts on the drive but, nevertheless. It was my second newbie drive with @Islam Soliman but first one driving myself. As usual we started with an elaborate briefing by the lead and wonderful weather to drive that day. Margham area presents a unique landscape where one hone their off-road skills and boy we did practice a lot. 

While off-roading you not only get to know your car, but the car gets to know you. It's not just poetic to say so - because it is a fact. You learn to what extent you can push it and how to push it. You know how it behaves in certain situations and manages it. Similarly, your car learns from you what you expect and gradually both the car and the driver become one. 

There were some refusals along the way, but they were good refusals in my opinion. Better to get stuck while going slow to cross a dune than to go fast and fly off the other side. Because it is safer to gradually increase the speed than to be at high speed and get into trouble and then try to reduce it.

First of all, a big thanks to @Islam Soliman for a great fun drive. @Suresh K you did well as the second lead and @Sharat Nambiar as the sweep. 

It was great to drive with you @Haitham Khattab, @Serhat Yalcinkaya, @Krishna R, @Mahmoud Taha, @karim hamandi, @Awais Zuberi and @Yesu Yarlagadda (also congratulations are in order on your promotion). See you all soon in another drive.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

don't drive like its your last one.

Important Information

Terms of use