•  

Full Day Fewbie Plus Desert Drive - Liwa Crossing - Abu Dhabi - 19 Feb 2022

Gaurav

I would say that everyone should plan to be the previous night. It is next to impossible to drive the entire day without camping. I will be leaving Dubai around 2:30 pm on Friday and reaching the meeting place. I suggest you all should reach there on the evening of 18th. Request - guys with bigger cars bring one bag of firewood.

Edited by Looper
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

don't drive like its your last one.

@Alphin Aloor, @Looper, @Ashok chaturvedi, @JamesThorn, @Fabien Monleau, @Hasan Wahlan

@Waqas Parvez has got a WhatsApp group going to coordinate amongst ourselves. Most of us are camping on the 18th as driving to the point on the day to do a full day drive will be extremely taxing. 

If you'd like to join the group, please ping Waqas at 0503545183 or myself at 0501718613, and we'll add you in.

Edited by munkybizness
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 2

12 minutes ago, munkybizness said:

@Alphin Aloor, @Looper, @Ashok chaturvedi, @JamesThorn, @Fabien Monleau, @Hasan Wahlan

@Waqas Parvez has got a WhatsApp group going to coordinate amongst ourselves. Most of us are camping on the 18th as driving to the point on the day to do a full day drive will be extremely taxing. 

If you'd like to join the group, please ping Waqas at 0503545183 or myself at 0501718613, and we'll add you in.

Add me too friends 0504430882... 👍👍

• Like (+1) 2

wish you all the best for liwa,,.  Amazing team, i wish i could be there.. maybe next time insha allah... 

as always Have fun, Be safe, bring lots of photos and videos but dont leave anything behind.  👍

• Thanks (+1) 1

Dear Liwanauts,

@Alphin Aloor @munkybizness @Looper @Zixuan Huang - Charlie @Waqas Parvez @Ashok chaturvedi @imranaasghar81 @Fabien Monleau @Hasan Wahlan

Please find the final Checklist before the Liwa Drive:

1) Only one extra passenger will be allowed (no people in the back seats).

2) Make sure your AlHosn App shows the green status and the latest PCR is not older than 14 days if you have received the booster, and not older than 96 hours if you have not yet received the booster.

3) Ensure your 4x4 has been recently serviced and all fluids are topped up. 

4) Make sure your spare tire is in good condition. It should be the same size as your other tires. Ensure you have the wrench that fits the wheel nuts.

5) Make sure your tank is full when you arrive at the meeting point and bring in a total of 100-120l for a V6, and 120-140l for a V8 in petrol. (total amount of tank + jerrycans). There is no gas station throughout our entire journey in the desert.

6) Keep your car light and only take the essentials. You will need all the power your engine can deliver.

7) Bring enough snacks and water (5-10l water). Some light lunch and dinner are preferred. 

8 ) Radio should be fully charged. If you have a spare one, plz bring it along.

9) Get enough rest. The ADNOC Khanoor station is only a small fuel station, but the ADNOC LIWA has a shop and toilets. (https://goo.gl/maps/5QJeUUsrVawRGU5PA)

10) Bring all your offroad recovery gears

11) Your car will contain a lot more equipment than usual. Please ensure everything is strapped and secured properly.

Starting time: 7:00 AM (SHARP - Without any exceptions)

Starting Point: https://goo.gl/maps/gzyx4wRN5HBA4fdp8
You can come early and camp at the same starting point if you like.

Last Fuel Station: https://goo.gl/maps/FSUzbzURjQRGvFVN9
ADNOC Khanoor (832)

Lunch Break: 1 Hour and several short breaks in between.

Approximate finish time: 12:00 PM, 20 Feb 2022, Sunday

My mobile number in case of emergency is 050 5258706. 

• Like (+1) 6

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Please find the convoy numbering below.

We will be using Radio Channel 2, please bring extra radio or battery for 2 days drive.

In case of any emergency, please call me on 050 5258706.

@Alphin Aloor @munkybizness @Looper @Zixuan Huang - Charlie @Waqas Parvez @Ashok chaturvedi @imranaasghar81 @Fabien Monleau @Hasan Wahlan

1. Gaurav                          Silver Pajero           Rope + Jack + Winch
  2. imranaasghar81            White FJ                Rope
  3. Alphin Aloor                  Xterra        
  4. Waqas Parvez                Grey Prado           Rope     
  5. Looper                           Yellow Wrangler   Rope + Jack + Winch
  6. Fabien Monleau            LC76        
  7. munkybizness               White Patrol          Rope
  8. Zixuan Huang - Charlie White Pathy          Rope
  9. Ashok chaturvedi           Yellow FJ               Rope + Jack + Winch
  • Like (+1) 3

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

What an epic drive. Lot of driving and lots of fun.

This drive needed a lot of planning both from marshals ( @Frederic-FB, @Gaurav-FB+, @Srikumar-IM) to organize and the participants to bring the right amount of stuff so that they can drive safely and well. After a day and a half of driving I am quite impressed by how well the drive was spread-out over two days.

The majestic Liwa - empty quarter dunes are like Sirens; they invite you to ride them, but they won't let you drive over them. Often exceedingly difficult to read and extremely easy to get stuck. Half the dunes are not even drivable, but majestic and a remarkable sight. I could not even count how many times I gasped at the beauty of the mother nature here in this barren desert land.  

On the first day we tried to start early but covered a lot of ground and reached the 18th hole in time to set up the tent and gather around the bonfire. The first eighteen waypoints were quite easy to navigate since they were from one sabkha to another, so we wandered around and had lots of fun. Thankfully in our FB+ drive we did not face many refusals and the few that we did face - (by @Gaurav) they were masterclass in self recovery - being applauded by everyone every time he self-recovered from a seemingly impossible stuck.

The camping site was one of the best I had seen. On a dried-up lake front, under the stars without any light pollution. The moonrise in the east was a sight to behold. I was tired and slept like a baby late into the morning the next day.

On the second day our drive was a bit straight though the waypoints, but they were not as easy as first day's waypoints - quite challenging to be frank. But we quickly wiggled out of all the stucks and refusals and reached the end, stopping only to take a few nice photographs to commemorate our achievement on finally crossing the Liwa. 

This Liwa Crossing was indeed a test of endurance and grit, and I am quite happy to be a part of this first installment and looking forward to next year once again. A big thanks to all who participated and contributed to the drive. @imranaasghar81, @Alphin Aloor, @Waqas Parvez, @Fabien Monleau, @munkybizness, @Zixuan Huang - Charlie & @Ashok chaturvedi

Edited by Looper
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Day One (Gaia GPS Link) I covered 86 km in exactly 9 hours. with a moving speed of 15.6 kmph and moving time of 5-hour 30 min.

Day two (Gaia GPS Link) I covered 59.9 k, in 4-hour 42 min at a moving speed of 20.2 kmph and in 2 hr 57 min moving time. 

image.png.ec378f725a7062333d256431375c3485.png

Edited by Looper
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Well Done (+2) 1

I'd like to thank @Gaurav@Srikumar@Frederic you for organizing such an incredible event, as well as the other crew members and support team who made this journey possible. @GauravThis is the first time I've followed your lead, and it was as good as other marshals. The reason I say that is because everyone's main goal is to have a safe drive while having some fun. Thank you for your valuable advice and assistance with recovery; it was a good learning experience.

@imranaasghar81Thank you for the second lead; you were right on the money with the gap and rerouted us with your expertise.

@Alphin AloorIt was a pleasure driving with you for the first time, and I was always confident in following you.

@LooperThe data and statistics expert You have been an excellent CF and have assisted us in overcoming adversity.

@Fabien MonleauIt was a pleasure to drive with you; you made the 76 series sail through the ocean.

@munkybiznessIt was fantastic to have your experience and advice during the journey and in difficult situations, my neighbor and Trip Partner.

@Zixuan Huang - CharlieIt was a pleasure driving with you because you made that Nissan partner drive like a Y62 with such confidence and control.

@Ashok chaturvediThank you for the sweeping; you've been driving on the bumpy track and assisting us in navigating through a difficult situation; you've been feeding us phratha and tea like babies; it's always a pleasure having you in the convoy.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Well Done (+2) 1

Important Information

Terms of use