•  
Advertise here

Xterra Suspension

Hello Desert Wanderers, I’m currently buying an Xterra after I totaled my beloved Y62.

First thing I’m planing to modify is the suspension. Wondering what most of you guys owning Xterras are using?

I found plenty of options in the market, such as profenders 2.5, oldman EMU BP-51, dobinsons MRA etc..

There are also cheaper options with no external reservoirs

Any advice you can provide?

Reading online I found that the offroad version/P4X comes with Bilstein shocks, I’m buying the standard trim so I guess it won’t have the bilsteins.

• Like (+1) 7

Bilstein are some of the best monotube shocks and are nicely priced as well. They are a bit hard for the road but perform well off-road.

I installed them on my XJ and they have lasted for all the abuse that I have put on them with no issues.

You need to first decide your budget and then you would be able to narrow down on which shocks suits your budget.

• Like (+1) 9

I drive non off road trim Xterra . I have put on the bIlstein mono shocks long time back and till this moment I am happy with them . Also the difference on road comparing to stock not that much of hardness . 

regarding other suspension systems are many in terms of quality and stiffness and this will depend on your budget and how frequent you will be using your new Xterra on road 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Thanks @M.Seidamand @Srikumarfor the advice. With this being a much cheaper option, I guess I will give it a try first and see how it goes before spending 9-10k.

• Like (+1) 6

in my offroad version i had stock bilstein shocks, i was happy with the performance no complaints, when it was time to replace i went for dobbinson stage 1 monotube shocks.  compared to bilstein its bit harder on road and it absorb the rough terrain much better than stock.  

• Like (+1) 8
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Thanks guys for the feedback, @Thomas Varghese I wouldn’t agree more with you in regards to lift, there are a lot of other factors that needs to be considered when you decide to add a lift to the car.

the 2.5” i’m referring to is actually the diameter of the shock not the lift.

I guess I will go with the bilstein shocks for now and save the extra money.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Well Done (+2) 1

@Lawrence_Chehimi the Bilsteins you get from Arabian Auto is model 4600 and is priced at 1800 for all 4. If you can get the Bilstein model 5100 from abroad it will cost the same. The difference is 5100 are adjustable shocks. 

• Like (+1) 6

35 minutes ago, Rizwanm2 said:

in my offroad version i had stock bilstein shocks, i was happy with the performance no complaints, when it was time to replace i went for dobbinson stage 1 monotube shocks.  compared to bilstein its bit harder on road and it absorb the rough terrain much better than stock.  

Dobinson is well known brand Xterians much like especially stage 4 .. it’s a lot for your Lowe back really 😅

21 minutes ago, Lawrence_Chehimi said:

I guess I will go with the bilstein shocks for now and save the extra money.

You won’t regret it . Personally I am running on “cotton” on road on daily bases and the Panadol in my glove box still sealed and about to expire 🤣 

offroad even with IM level driving still I am ok . It’s all about the style and skill regardless of drive level as well I believe 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3