•  

Morning Fewbie Desert Drive - Swipe Right For Sweihan - Abu Dhabi - 20 Mar 2022

Frederic

Hi team!

Thanks for the great drive yesterday! @Frederictook us to terrains which trully challenged our skills and made us better drivers, well done everyone! What an adrenaline rush!

It's interesting being in the sweep position and have the chance to support others, it's a different kind of learning I'm trully enjoying. 

@Shaaz Sha, it was a pleasure to have you as flying sweep, I don't think we ever drove together before, and I will definitelly look for your drives in the future. I was looking the rear mirror at times and seeing great mastery back there.

See you soon! Cheers!

Edited by Daniel Rodas
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, Frederic said:

advise you to use the power wisely

Honestly, if there's one advice that should be given right after not fighting gravity, it is this one. Thanks for calling this out, @Frederic!

@Yesu Yarlagadda Underpowered cars and their drivers have been practicing from day 1 to extract the most out of their engines, but it is the overpowered ones that need to learn restraint.

If there's one thing I'm consistently trying to fine tune with every single drive I get on, is my throttle management. I'm still many many drives away from being any good at it, but I'm a lot better than when I began.

Using your power wisely has adverse impacts:

1. It teaches you to extract just enough power out of your vehicle to climb up or hold your car in a safe position while traversing over sand. Look at @Islam Soliman do this with his GMC and it boggles the mind but when you figure it out, it will feel so intuitive.

2. It helps you be gentler with the tracks you lay down, so you're not just a good driver for yourself but also for those behind you in the convoy. If you are ever on @Ale Vallecchi's drive, he'll drill this value into you.

3. It will vastly improve your fuel management helping you to do full day drives without fear.

4. It will make your drive less strenuous too. The moment you realize that you don't need as much power, you will be a lot more mentally relaxed negotiating ridges and climbs. When you do this for 4 hours of driving, the mental fatigue will be a lot lower.

5. Being able to micro-feather your power will quickly teach you the "blip blip" technique - one that I've seen @Gaurav & @Wrangelduse with such elan that they almost always self-recover themselves.

The day you begin to get a feel for just how little power you need to get through sections, that day you'll feel like this is the easiest thing ever, and you'll fall even more in love with this sport :) 

There are only two occasions when we will rely on your immensely powerful engines - for tugging/towing cars out & for breaking ridges so we can cross over :D 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

22 hours ago, Frederic said:

@Amr Aydin @Andrew McCarthy@Nikola Bozovic@Claudio C @Pascal@Yesu Yarlagadda@Mahmoud Taha@Salim Akhtar@Beide Worku@Daniel Rodas@Shaaz Sha 

You guys Rocked today ! What a wonderful morning with fantastic weather and dunes galore !

Fantastic teamwork from all of you to overcome our minor issues (pop out, tyre replacement, and fixing my punctured radiator hose). We all came out unscathed and will be back in Sweihan very soon ! 

Perfect second lead @Amr Aydin , Louuuud sweep @Daniel Rodas😅, and @Shaaz Sha always nearby to help out. 

See you guys soon in the sand again !

Thanks again @Frederic for a beautiful drive at a really enjoyable pace. Thanks also to @Daniel Rodas and @Shaaz Shafor the support. Interesting to see Daniel's photos today and find out what was happening back there - plenty to keep you gents busy!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Andrew McCarthy said:

Thanks again @Frederic for a beautiful drive at a really enjoyable pace. Thanks also to @Daniel Rodas and @Shaaz Shafor the support. Interesting to see Daniel's photos today and find out what was happening back there - plenty to keep you gents busy!

And I loaded a few photos to the gallery

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Important Information

Terms of use