•  
Advertise here

LX570 offroad advice

I have a 2010 LX570 which I will keep for my offroad escapades. Is there anyone else who has this vehicle that can suggest offroad mods, tips and tricks which will make this beast more desert worthy? For starters I have done the 'sensor'  lift which can be done by changing the positions of the AHC sensors and gain an instant 'lift' of about 0.75 inches. The next mod I would like to do is installing a kill switch for the AHC which makes the car go back to the Normal height mode from the High height mode when the speed exceeds about 32kmph. I will keep this thread updated as and when I have done this. Next would be a kill switch for the traction control, Vehicle stability control and ABS Any other suggestions are welcome. 

• Like (+1) 3

If your LX is having side airbag, then you also need a kill switch for shutting the side airbag, as on higher level drive when you do criss-cross this side airbag might deploy (expensive dent on wallet). This is most concern in US brand cars like Ford Explorer, Expedition, Chevrolet, GMC etc.

But its worth checking and researching how Lexus implemented side airbag and does these fellow pop's on criss-crossing or not.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

@Dr Tanveer Ahmed I've got a 2020 LX570

I have only done a few things to my LX. I installed a skid plate, changed wheels and tires, did a 2-inch body lift, and extended the original hydraulic suspension due to the body lift to improve the attack and departure angles. I effectively made my LX570  into an Xtreme LX570 similar to the Land Cruiser Xtreme that was on the market a few years ago and done by the same guys.

I haven't done anything with the Traction Control/VSC as turn them all off by holding down the TRAC button for a few seconds, which turns everything off. I also disable the side airbags via the RSCA OFF button 

Depending on what tire/wheel combination you have. I had to figure out that I needed to run on higher tire pressures, as I was experiencing quite a few popouts. I think this was due to the LX being a heavy car and my driving. I currently run on 15psi my KO2 315/70/R17 tires.

I will carry on slowly carrying out some other mods when I see the need or need to repair at the moment I can see that I will be taking out the hydraulic suspension and changing the front bumper  

Let me know if you have any questions on what I have done

• Like (+1) 7

7 hours ago, Gaurav said:

If your LX is having side airbag, then you also need a kill switch for shutting the side airbag, as on higher level drive when you do criss-cross this side airbag might deploy (expensive dent on wallet). This is most concern in US brand cars like Ford Explorer, Expedition, Chevrolet, GMC etc.

But its worth checking and researching how Lexus implemented side airbag and does these fellow pop's on criss-crossing or not.

Thanks for the info above Gaurav! There is already a RSCA switch that kills the airbag deployment so that is hopefully not a concern! Also it has what is called a "multi-terrain ABS" but its so annoying when it activates. I think I definitely need to kill that with a switch!

7 hours ago, JamesThorn said:

@Dr Tanveer Ahmed I've got a 2020 LX570

I have only done a few things to my LX. I installed a skid plate, changed wheels and tires, did a 2-inch body lift, and extended the original hydraulic suspension due to the body lift to improve the attack and departure angles. I effectively made my LX570  into an Xtreme LX570 similar to the Land Cruiser Xtreme that was on the market a few years ago and done by the same guys.

I haven't done anything with the Traction Control/VSC as turn them all off by holding down the TRAC button for a few seconds, which turns everything off. I also disable the side airbags via the RSCA OFF button 

Depending on what tire/wheel combination you have. I had to figure out that I needed to run on higher tire pressures, as I was experiencing quite a few popouts. I think this was due to the LX being a heavy car and my driving. I currently run on 15psi my KO2 315/70/R17 tires.

I will carry on slowly carrying out some other mods when I see the need or need to repair at the moment I can see that I will be taking out the hydraulic suspension and changing the front bumper  

Let me know if you have any questions on what I have done

Thanks a ton for the response James! This is exactly the kind if info that I was looking for! Can you tell me which rims you used and whether it caused any issues with rubbing etc and whether any trimming of the wheel well was needed? I bet your ride looks amazing with those tires!! Do share some pictures for inspiration! I actually like the automatic height levelling feature because it makes for easy entry and exit! But if you could let me know the name of the garage who did the mods that would be super useful. My whatsapp is 050- 574 5337. Thanks a ton!

@Dr Tanveer Ahmed  My rims are from the same guys that did the mods.  They did trim the wheel wells and add fender extensions to keep the edge of the wheel flush with the body as the wheel have a negative offset which widens the track of the wheels.

It depends on what size of wheel/tire you want to run. But have seen plenty on other forums running 35's without doing any fender trimming, but these seem to be on a 275/285 wide tire with a slight tweak to the AHT and bending the pinch weld in the wheel well.

I also like the AHT suspension as easy to get in and out. With the changes that I had made, don't see any real difference in comfort and  road noise from when the car was in stock.IMG_0178.jpg.1cada948ab257c489bab2c04feefd8d8.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

• 7 months later...

@Gurcharan Mehta I haven't regeared when I put on the 315/70s 

I did debate it a few times with myself, on how to improve the set up but there are probably other areas where I could get better incremental improvements. 

I didn't feel any loss of power, the V8 gives more than enough. 

Also I only did 2 drives with the LX570 as stock so have learnt using the power that I have available. 

Being a big and heavy vehicle the main thing is keeping the momentum up