•  
Advertise here

Pathfinder R51 Suspension Upgrade

Hi Folks,

As I have reached IM level, I see the need of upgrading my suspension.

Because Pathfinder R51 isn't a popular offroader, not many companies do suspension for R51, hence here are my options:

1. Dobinson twin tube with coils (Highly recommended by a close friend, 2 years warranty)

2. Ironman 40mm foam cell with coils (Popular choice for R51 owners around the globe, 3 years warranty)

3. Tough dog 41mm foam cell with coils (Another popular choice for R51 owners around the globe, looks tougher and provides 4 year unlimited km warranty)

My preference is Ironman>Dobinson>Tough Dog

Ironman ME direct supplies with warranty support, twintube+foamcell supposingly is better than just the twintube Dobinson, and Tough Dog doesnt have direct dealer in ME, warranty support can be compromised.

R51 has less ground clearance, it requires 1.5inch and above lift for desert, For this reason Bilstein isn't an option here as it doesn't provide the longer monotube shock b8 5100 for rear.

Please let me know if anybody has experience with the above 3 products, and additional options are welcomed.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Zixuan Huang - Charlie said:

Hi Folks,

As I have reached IM level, I see the need of upgrading my suspension.

Because Pathfinder R51 isn't a popular offroader, not many companies do suspension for R51, hence here are my options:

1. Dobinson twin tube with coils (Highly recommended by a close friend, 2 years warranty)

2. Ironman 40mm foam cell with coils (Popular choice for R51 owners around the globe, 3 years warranty)

3. Tough dog 41mm foam cell with coils (Another popular choice for R51 owners around the globe, looks tougher and provides 4 year unlimited km warranty)

My preference is Ironman>Dobinson>Tough Dog

Ironman ME direct supplies with warranty support, twintube+foamcell supposingly is better than just the twintube Dobinson, and Tough Dog doesnt have direct dealer in ME, warranty support can be compromised.

R51 has less ground clearance, it requires 1.5inch and above lift for desert, For this reason Bilstein isn't an option here as it doesn't provide the longer monotube shock b8 5100 for rear.

Please let me know if anybody has experience with the above 3 products, and additional options are welcomed.

Dear @Zixuan Huang - Charlie I suppose you won't be very fond of my suggestion but let me tell u mine. Sell the path finder, take the money, add the money you want to do the suspension upgrade plus the money you need to keep the car upgraded to IM level mechanics and buy a second hand Xterra or FJ Cruiser if it suits your budget. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad (0) 1

2 hours ago, Thomas Varghese said:

Dear @Zixuan Huang - Charlie I suppose you won't be very fond of my suggestion but let me tell u mine. Sell the path finder, take the money, add the money you want to do the suspension upgrade plus the money you need to keep the car upgraded to IM level mechanics and buy a second hand Xterra or FJ Cruiser if it suits your budget. 

It's a very tempting option too, getting an old US spec Xterra with rear diff lock and ABLS wouldn't cost too much,

but the highway stability, slightly longer WB, slightly larger cargo space with extra 2 seats of Pathfinder I cannot give up, ans I spend lots more time onroad than offroad 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Hi Charlie @Zixuan Huang - Charlie

With great respect , I believe the current setting of your pathfinder is perfect even the ground clearance for IM drives. However it’s all your choice and decision . 
Just remember that most of the suspension lift set up comes along with it stiffness to your car and your lower back on the on road , one of the main reason I never changed my own set up . Who knows I might do it if I decide to get the third car ( Tesla sedan 😅

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

3 hours ago, M.Seidam said:

Hi Charlie @Zixuan Huang - Charlie

With great respect , I believe the current setting of your pathfinder is perfect even the ground clearance for IM drives. However it’s all your choice and decision . 
Just remember that most of the suspension lift set up comes along with it stiffness to your car and your lower back on the on road , one of the main reason I never changed my own set up . Who knows I might do it if I decide to get the third car ( Tesla sedan 😅

Yes, the current setting is stock + 2inch suspension spacer, and all above options are 1.5-2 inch only, so not an issue for me

However the rear springs bottom out during some small jumps and the stock shocks fade really quickly, thats why I am thinking of upgrading them.

Edited by Zixuan Huang - Charlie
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

I do not have a lot to contribute based on the options that you have laid out except that it is the perfect time since there will be Ramadan offers soon.  I am currently using the Dobinsons IMS and coil. Started using it since last Ramadan and relatively happy with it.  But I do not off-road as much compared to some of you.  IMS shocks allowed me to adjust the stiffness and I did request Dobinsons to make it less stiff as a compromise for on road comfort and I am happy with it. Although it is still stiffer than stock, no one complained when I ferry the family. 

I think @Ale Vallecchi is running the Dobinsons Twin Tube. You may seek his opinion on the same.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, topgear said:

I do not have a lot to contribute based on the options that you have laid out except that it is the perfect time since there will be Ramadan offers soon.  I am currently using the Dobinsons IMS and coil. Started using it since last Ramadan and relatively happy with it.  But I do not off-road as much compared to some of you.  IMS shocks allowed me to adjust the stiffness and I did request Dobinsons to make it less stiff as a compromise for on road comfort and I am happy with it. Although it is still stiffer than stock, no one complained when I ferry the family. 

I think @Ale Vallecchi is running the Dobinsons Twin Tube. You may seek his opinion on the same.

haha my aim is the Ramadan offer, Ironman and Dobinson usually do the promotion as I remember.

I wish R51 could have more options except the above 3 Australian brands, but no🥺

Let's wait for @Ale Vallecchi's comments on this 😁

• Haha (+1) 1

hi @Zixuan Huang - Charlie 

Im running  dobinson twin tube in my xterra. compared to stock bilstein suspension it is little bit hard on road.  but i like it rather than soft.  in sand it gave me good improvements.  very less bottom out from front suspension maybe due to increased ride height and absorb cross tracks better than stock.  overall im happy with performance. 

i installed 2 inch spacer prior to suspension change, but i didn't like it at all,  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rizwanm2 said:

hi @Zixuan Huang - Charlie 

Im running  dobinson twin tube in my xterra. compared to stock bilstein suspension it is little bit hard on road.  but i like it rather than soft.  in sand it gave me good improvements.  very less bottom out from front suspension maybe due to increased ride height and absorb cross tracks better than stock.  overall im happy with performance. 

i installed 2 inch spacer prior to suspension change, but i didn't like it at all,  

Umm interesting, then the twin tube should be a big improvement to my black stock shocks, thanks alot for the input, 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Altho I chose Dobinson twintube, so sad that Dobinson doesnt have stock....So I have Ironman Foamcell installed, done 1 drive and 200km+ highway today.

The highway performance is superb, stable from 0 -140 havent reached 160 yet, lots support on extreme cornering that I am afriad the AT tires will give up before the suspension does. firmer handling ofc, and stiffsness bit as well.

Offroad I couldnt do much today, absorption on the gravel track and cross track is great, did 60kmh on the gravel track exiting from big red to tarmac, very much in control and very little shock transmitted into the car, no fading in aborption.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Well Done (+2) 1