•  

Morning Fewbie Desert Drive - Faqa - Dubai - 8 May 2022

Shaaz Sha

Hi @Shaaz Shaand @Looper, thank you very much for the ride of today.You certainly made all sweat and I cannot remember to have experienced so many refusals, crests together with 2 pop-ups. Definitely a first price for it! It certainly challenged us all which is the best way to learn and soon we will all surf on dunes with great ease. Thank you again and see you soon for another fabulous ride.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 3

What a brilliant drive and exciting drive. @Shaaz Sha you chose the most amazing and challenging lines and, as is to be expected, we had quite a few refusals and 2 pop-outs! Those were part of the fun and learning. Thank you @Thomas Varghese and @Looper for the great support, help and tips. 

It was a non-stop mix of adrenaline rush with phenomenal learning and experience. Thank you @Pierre de Maigret, @Ignacio Quindos, @Jessica Lambert, @RiaanJH and @Lucky sAm for an enjoyable drive. @Jessica Lambert as usual you amazed us with  the display of your mastery of self-recovery and the ease with which you were surfing the ridges!

Looking forward to the next drive.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 2

What an amazing experience on my first fewbie drive!! (Pop-up included). Thanks @Shaaz Sha for your lead and support during my event. Also many thanks to @Thomas Vargheseand @Looper for their help, tips and gear sharing. I definitely felt the notch up, so all your help was much appreciated. Some crests made me sweat a lot, and today I learnt that if you loose the track for a sec, it’s better to make a loop and regain the crest than push the car to the limit and ending up having a pop-up. Like I said at the beginning, a wonderful learning experience for me. Big thank you to @Shaaz Sha for letting me be part of the drive, even though having none experience on this level. Following some pictures of the day. Hope you like them. Cheers!

PD: zero sand found a side the tire. 

6D13300D-0829-4B2E-AAC2-7AAFC4D23E52.jpeg

F82ADA51-60CB-4399-A0EB-2F7C9E674231.jpeg

FF124807-1E12-49DD-B10E-A08B07BD6151.jpeg

9F8830BE-7CDB-4D39-A30B-CBF6133449B0.jpeg

8DEFCB6A-E428-4929-A1C6-26D058C80B40.jpeg

E8979493-5E36-4370-B728-895D3257A0C7.jpeg

72470518-2562-4C83-9C6B-E1D0961E2791.jpeg

0CF3F6DD-5E64-4248-9963-3086382299D4.jpeg

CB6AEF67-5133-48D5-A378-7D149800472A.jpeg

C6DFD8C1-CEE0-4736-B128-849E87D06F63.jpeg

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 5

Hi to everyone. Thank you all for joining the drive and for coming at the meeting point on time me. We were all ready for the adventure deflated and flagged by 5.40 A.M. After the briefing we began surfing at 5.45 A.M , riding through some me small dunes and incredibly soft patches. Gliding across those magnificent land scape..which were mostly vargin was fantastic. The terrain was fairly difficult and needed undivided attention and considering the terrain…, we all did an amazing job today. We had a handful of refusals and retries and few stucks and two pop outs. But with amazing support from the support team we were able to overcome every obstacle on our way and not to be forgotten… you guys delivered your best effort today. Well done guys 👏. We had our first pop out in about an hour after we started and the second one about another half an hour later which were handled quickly. We had our share of fun today with plenty of side slopes and crisscrossing and we had enough opportunities to learn more and test our skill level. Thanks to @Thomas Varghesefor executing the CF role today. I suppose you had a great day today helping others. Thank you for your assistance with the jack in fixing the pop outs and well done with your tugs and guidances when ever needed. Thank you @Looper for sweeping every one of us safely out. You were all busy today guiding and re routing . Well done buddy. The support team today shone bright.👍👏👏👏👏 Thanks guys. @Pierre de Maigret Thanks buddy for being a vigilant SL and for re routing when ever needed. Well done buddy . @Ignacio Quindos. You did an amazing job man. It was your first FB drive and you handled the terrain much easier than I expected. Well done and keep it up . @Jessica Lambert initially had some issues but picked up the pace soon..You had to take out your tool box today to fix your first pop out and I believe you enjoyed the drive 👍👍 well done..  @Ashutosh Gargwith the X you did wonderful today. Didn’t seem to have any issues and handled those intense ridges very well. Keep it up bro. @RiaanJH my second drive with you and you did a brilliant job . You were unstoppable today😸 with out any major refusals. @Lucky sAmhad to face some issues at the back ..but you came back strong … @Looper tips and tricks worked !!!😺😺. It was a pleasure to drive with each and everyone of you and see you guys soon. Some pic in the gallery 

E6EBADF9-4BD0-4742-95DC-7D0F47F44136.jpeg

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 3

image.jpeg.842969d337ea96cb759abd12f188b695.jpeg

Inspiring a drive theme “ the bone collector “ 😅

3 hours ago, Ignacio Quindos said:

What an amazing experience on my first fewbie drive!! (Pop-up included). Thanks @Shaaz Sha for your lead and support during my event. Also many thanks to @Thomas Vargheseand @Looper for their help, tips and gear sharing. I definitely felt the notch up, so all your help was much appreciated. Some crests made me sweat a lot, and today I learnt that if you loose the track for a sec, it’s better to make a loop and regain the crest than push the car to the limit and ending up having a pop-up. Like I said at the beginning, a wonderful learning experience for me. Big thank you to @Shaaz Sha for letting me be part of the drive, even though having none experience on this level. Following some pictures of the day. Hope you like them. Cheers!

PD: zero sand found a side the tire. 

6D13300D-0829-4B2E-AAC2-7AAFC4D23E52.jpeg

F82ADA51-60CB-4399-A0EB-2F7C9E674231.jpeg

FF124807-1E12-49DD-B10E-A08B07BD6151.jpeg

9F8830BE-7CDB-4D39-A30B-CBF6133449B0.jpeg

8DEFCB6A-E428-4929-A1C6-26D058C80B40.jpeg

E8979493-5E36-4370-B728-895D3257A0C7.jpeg

72470518-2562-4C83-9C6B-E1D0961E2791.jpeg

0CF3F6DD-5E64-4248-9963-3086382299D4.jpeg

CB6AEF67-5133-48D5-A378-7D149800472A.jpeg

C6DFD8C1-CEE0-4736-B128-849E87D06F63.jpeg

Nice pictures especially the bones 🤣

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

Today's Faqqa fewbie drive under @Shaaz Sha's lead. 

I have read comments from fellow drivers @Pierre de Maigret, @Ashutosh Garg & from the trip lead @Shaaz Sha. I'm happy all have given good reviews about the drive. To be frank it was a very good drive in Fewbie class. 

All the drivers showed up at Faqqa on time and was ready deflated with flags up by 5.30 except @DP1011 , Deepak wrangler. After the briefing from the trip lead about our goals and driving techniques with inputs from @Looper we all hit the sands at 5.45am. Thank you @Pierre de Maigret, @Ignacio Quindos, @Jessica Lambert, @Ashutosh Garg, @RiaanJH, @Lucky sAm and it was a pleasure driving with you all. 

I don't know how @Shaaz Sha finds these beautiful tracks to drive again and again. The entire drive didn't have any tracks from any convoy or any lone wolf traversing that area. Kudos to the trip lead. The track which was laid out to us had everything including ridge riding, side slopes, criss crossing, tight turns and some minor slip face side slopes to get a feel of what is it exactly. Considering it was a fewbie drive and except Shaaz, me & @Looper all had relatively less drives under their belt to make it all the way from the entry point to the exit. Now the big question is how did everybody perform on such a challenging track. On a scale of 1 - 10 I will give this a 8. I was expecting lot of refusals and stucks and cresting but kudos to the drivers it was kept down to a minimum. This is unavoidable once you are inside the desert and even IM drives and drivers face such challenges. The stucks, refusals & crests were tackled with expert guidance from @Shaaz Sha & @Looper without any incidents. No comments about @Shaaz Sha's expertise as he is the trip lead but @Looper was amazing. How he guided @Lucky sAm during his refusals has to be given top admiration. 

We had 2 pop outs soon after we started - perhaps in the 1st hour itself. Both fixed in very less time. Everybody chipped in with a helping hand and we were soon driving off again. @Jessica Lambert's pop out is a regular one on the front right wheel when she was side slopping on a left ward climbing side slope as the wheels were not pointed straight down when exiting the dune. The surprise one was the pop out of @Ignacio Quindos on his real wheel. The stalwarts of @Carnity like @Gaurav, @Frederic, @Srikumar, @Wrangeld & @Ale Vallecchi can please share their thoughts on this. I have a hunch it happened because of fish tailing but not sure how it happened as 2 cars were ahead of me. If its because of fish tailing @Ignacio Quindos has to work out more on this as its dangerous. I don't blame him as its his 1st Fewbie drive and he did very well for the rest of the drive without much issues. But need to work out on this more. 

@Pierre de Maigret did extremely well as 2nd lead. Its not an easy task to follow @Shaaz Sha when he is in full flow driving in his Xterra. He must have felt bad for a couple of refusals but for me he did very well. The surprise driver who did well in a 2.7L prado was @Jessica Lambert. She can drive with just 10 drives under her credit so well and looks like she knows what her car can do and what it cannot. With helpful tips from the support team and encouragement I didn't see any terrain she left unconquered. @Ashutosh Garg seemed to fish tail in the initial stages but after some tips didn't see him fishtailing at all. Fast learner. Never heard @RiaanJH on the radio claiming he had a stuck or refusal. 

The most important lesson I learned from this drive is how much ever experienced you are if you try to show off you can find yourself in a bad crested situation. Thanks @Looper
 for tugging me out. After crossing an upward climbing ridge Shaaz wanted to re route and told everybody to take different track and I thought it was a easy climb and promptly crested myself by attempting it. Sorry guys for being impulsive and I learnt my lesson. 

It was a pleasure driving with you all and sure enjoyed meeting you all. 

See you all soon in the sands. 

Edited by Thomas Varghese
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 4

21 minutes ago, Thomas Varghese said:

I don't know how @Shaaz Sha finds these beautiful tracks to drive again and again.

The tracks always find the spirit of an explorer 😄

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

@Thomas Varghese rear wheel pop out is less frequent than front one and both front and rear in the same time even more less . I have seen all of them last of which was the rear passenger side pop out on my last drive happened to one of the drivers. 
I believe the Rear one comes due to sudden slip of the vehicle to a relatively harder ground off slip face while the vehicle in slight obliquity , if in prefect line slip you see both popout. That’s what I think but maybe our friends whom experienced this can tell us more about it 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Thank you so much @Shaaz Sha @Thomas Varghese and @Looperfor the most challenging drive I have experienced so far. I feel like I made a huge leap in conquering my criss-crossing hesitation. I really appreciated the extra tehcnical coaching sessions in the breaks. I brought my friend Nick who is keen to start off-roading and I was very proud to show him how the Carnity family supports and guides each other. Once he has his X-terra he will be joining us on the dunes! It was a real pleasure driving with you all.

I was worried someone would accuse me of not having my wheels pointed directly down, so I took photos to prove that it was my over-deflation + a bush at the bottom of the dune that were my undoing :D They will be on the gallery today! Thank you @Thomas Varghese and @Shaaz Sha for fixing it, I was amazed how you made it look so effortless. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 3

3 hours ago, Jessica Lambert said:

I was worried someone would accuse me of not having my wheels pointed directly down, so I took photos to prove that it was my over-deflation + a bush at the bottom of the dune that were my undoing :D They will be on the gallery today! 

Dear @Jessica Lambert, We are here to learn how to offroad safely. We never blame others for some mistakes. Of course mistakes should be avoided while offroading but its inevitable. Driving on tarmac is different from driving on sand. As we are practised driving on tarmac it will be not easy to shift to driving on sand so easily. Same reasoning when someone is not offroading for a long time the club advices to start with a lower level to get the feel of the drive again. Now you know how a pop out occurs this will be stored in your memory to avoid the same mistake again. Yes if you hit a bush hard the tire will pop out. This doesn't mean you will not have pop outs later as you will avoid the bush in the future drives. You only eliminated one of the reasons for a pop out. There are numerous more coming. Slowly and steadily you will learn the tricks of the sand driving and still get a pop out occasionally. 

Did you notice how I got crested very nicely even though I have done 105 drives. It was my mistake. The trip lead had asked to reroute as most of you were not experienced to ride that climbing ridge. That was a fewbie plus level ridge. I have done it numerous times before and thought let me try it and show all of you how it could be done. It was a foolish thing I did and should have stayed where I was and continued in the convoy. All of you saw the result and I myself made a fool out of myself. 

See you soon in the sands. Will see your friend too with a Xterra (hope its the 2015 prior model and not the new one) as you mentioned soon in the club.

• Well Done (+2) 4

Important Information

Terms of use