•  
Advertise here

Advice Needed on Lift and Respective Rim Offset

Hey guys, 

I am about to lift the car (2" DOBINSONS MRR 3-WAY Adjustable Lift Kit). I need advice please on what should be the ideal offset not to strain the drive train and other components while balancing the Center of Gravity. As OEM, my current sets are 265/60/18 OFFSET46mm. I am considering on installing the Geolander G015 265/70/17. Since I am downgrading the rim size for higher tyre walls, I will need to buy new set of rims. Anyone here been through the same thought process? What should i be looking out for in this proces? 

All ideas and advice are more than welcome! Thanks!

Edited by Mike M.
  • Like (+1) 1

Gaurav
This post was recognized by Gaurav!

"Very helpful and clear advise."

Warren Flay was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 100 points.

Hi Mike, I have been through the same thought process yes...

Firstly, you cannot put 17 inch tyres on 18 inch rims so if you decide to go that way (no need to though) you WILL be buying new rims.

As for the tyre size? The resolution I came to was to go up a series on my standard rims, I bought Geolandars in 65 series which yielded a one inch (25 mm) overall lift in Diameter and a 5% increase in rolling diameter. Bare in mind this is on a 40mm EFS lift kit so the clearances are absolutely on the limit vis a vis inner guards. With your 50mm lift, you may well end up with greater clearance. 

The major benefits of going the way I did are:

1. cost saving on rims.

2. no need to alter the speedo drive as the 5% increase simply made the factory speedo 100% accurate.

3. ability to go back to standard series tyres (if I wish to regain the shorter gearing) without changing rims.

The notable downside has been:

1. The car now needs to be in first gear for steep climbs, second gear will no longer do the job.

2. The car is slower to accelerate due to the increase in gear ratio 

3. The awful fuel economy got even worse as I suspect the engine is working a lot harder to pull the higher gearing.

Your results may vary!

• Like (+1) 2

Hi @Warren Flay, thanks for taking the time!

Here are the points of dilemma i am going through :)

1- I have to compensate the Center of Gravity for the 2 inch lift

2- Even if i keep my 18 wheels, i will have to install spacers to compensate for the 2" lift. I prefer to change the rims instead of adding spacers 

3- Since i will change the rims, best is to downgrade for 17 so that i can get tyres with higher walls for footprint. In all cases, i have H/T Tyres now and i prefer to have A/T Tyres

4- Based on all the above, i am stuck at what Offset should the new rims be so that i tick point 1 above for the Center of Gravity and try to stay as close as OEM specs as possible. 

What do you think?

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Srikumar said:

General rule of thumb is that if you go 2" high you need to go 1" wide on each side.

So based on that, since i am going 2" higher and the current OEM offset is 46mm. Does that mean that i need to get rims that are 20mm ish in offset? 

• Like (+1) 1

Hi @Mike M.

I agree with your below points:

2- Even if i keep my 18 wheels, i will have to install spacers to compensate for the 2" lift. I prefer to change the rims instead of adding spacers 

3- Since i will change the rims, best is to downgrade for 17 so that i can get tyres with higher walls for footprint. In all cases, i have H/T Tyres now and i prefer to have A/T Tyres

4- Based on all the above, i am stuck at what Offset should the new rims be so that i tick point 1 above for the Center of Gravity and try to stay as close as OEM specs as possible. 

To offset the 2inch lift, you can go for new rims with ZERO offset. Similar thing was discussed here:

Ideally you can check in a wheel shop and ask them to put a ET20 and ET0 rim on your pajero so you can determine which one suits best.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

8 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Hi @Mike M.

I agree with your below points:

To offset the 2inch lift, you can go for new rims with ZERO offset. Similar thing was discussed here:

Ideally you can check in a wheel shop and ask them to put a ET20 and ET0 rim on your pajero so you can determine which one suits best.

Hi @Frederic, thanks for weighing in. Always appreciated :). 

Can you please elaborate on what I should be looking for when I am trying both ET20 and ET0 at the tyre shop? 

• Like (+1) 1

Hi @Mike M. All your points are valid.

let me share things I did when I got the MRR and drive after.

I have standard rims R18 with 265/60 G015. I have also added 30 mm H&R spacers to increase the width. 
frankly speaking I searched for these 17 rims however couldn’t find it in time to replace my tyres( was looking for used ones). However going for 17 would help a lot in improving traction and self recovery. 

So far the setup is working fine with no issues in climbing straight up or on the ridges. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mike M. said:

Hi @Frederic, thanks for weighing in. Always appreciated :). 

Can you please elaborate on what I should be looking for when I am trying both ET20 and ET0 at the tyre shop? 

Well, as you will be having a lift, the tyres should not be rubbing against the fenders, so that issue is already solved. But from an aesthetical point of view, ET0 might be a bit too much, as the rims will really stick out a lot (unless you fancy that look, then yalla do it ) :) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

2 minutes ago, GauravSoni said:

Hi @Mike M. All your points are valid.

let me share things I did when I got the MRR and drive after.

I have standard rims R18 with 265/60 G015. I have also added 30 mm H&R spacers to increase the width. 
frankly speaking I searched for these 17 rims however couldn’t find it in time to replace my tyres( was looking for used ones). However going for 17 would help a lot in improving traction and self recovery. 

So far the setup is working fine with no issues in climbing straight up or on the ridges. 

Thanks @GauravSoni! The only thing i am going outside the book a bit is the wheel height as I plan on going for 265 / 70 / 17. The OEM of Pajero is 65 and not 70. With the lift that should not be an issue. 

Did you have any vibration or stability issues?

3 minutes ago, Frederic said:

Well, as you will be having a lift, the tyres should not be rubbing against the fenders, so that issue is already solved. But from an aesthetical point of view, ET0 might be a bit too much, as the rims will really stick out a lot (unless you fancy that look, then yalla do it ) :) 

haha! Yes, i prefer for the pajero to look beefed up a bit instead of a normal civilian. I plan on calling it The White Rhino once i am done with the mods I plan on doing. Maybe it will sway you back towards Pajero one more time :) 

6 minutes ago, Frederic said:

haha! Yes, i prefer for the pajero to look beefed up a bit instead of a normal civilian. I plan on dubbing it The White Rhino once i am done with the mods I plan on doing. Maybe it will sway you back towards Pajero one more time :) 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1