•  
Advertise here

To buy or not to buy LR 4 2010 6 cyl

Hi Group Members,

I do have a negative mindset with regard to buying  LR 4 (2010) based on what I have read here and when googled on it’s realibility. 

Last week I saw and drove a LR4 2010 6 cyl with 220000 kms. The car is fully maintained at agency and is being sold by second owner of 3 years. 

I liked the car. The stearing looked little heavy when compared to my current Jeep GC overland 2011 but overall I kind of liked the looks and the drive. 

Tomorrow I am taking the car for a auto testing center for a full physical and computerized checkup and will make a final call. 

I will be happy if I can use this car for 3 to 5 years without major expense. Will be not be using this for off road as I want to make my existing JGC as main off road car (This discussion for another time). 

Two issues that has come to light with LR4 as disclosed by the seller is (he discovered during recent inspections) is that the front bonnet is repainted by first owner (no record of it) and steering oil leak. 

Assuming that no major issues are discovered in tomorrow’s test, what will be your advise based on your experience? 

I am happy with the price (approx 27K). May negotiate it further. The seller has brought down the price during last one week from high 30s. I have so far not negotiated the price  

My main concern is not to get cheated or get a car which has some major flaw or has some major reliability issue. 

Thank you in advance. 

One more thing I am interested is to know if some of you have a good/Positive experience with LR4? 

• Like (+1) 2

Two words: Stay Away.

LR + 12 years old + 220K = Money pit.

If you really like LR4 feel, go with the newer model or one with 100K mileage so you can enjoy it for 2-3 years with bare minimum maintenance (hopefully).

Land Rover is well known to be expensive to maintain after 150K - 200K mileage. And its parts are equally expensive even if you opt for OEM parts from Sharjah dealers like NAPCO and Gulf Stars.

If your budget is limited then I would highly recommend Japanese or US brands that stay far reliable and dependable even after 200K kms.

• Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 6

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

19 minutes ago, Gaurav said:

LR + 12 years old + 220K = Money pit.

Well balanced Equation and can be valid to any car more or less .

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

17 hours ago, Siddick Sait said:

Hi Group Members,

I do have a negative mindset with regard to buying  LR 4 (2010) based on what I have read here and when googled on it’s realibility. 

Last week I saw and drove a LR4 2010 6 cyl with 220000 kms. The car is fully maintained at agency and is being sold by second owner of 3 years. 

I liked the car. The stearing looked little heavy when compared to my current Jeep GC overland 2011 but overall I kind of liked the looks and the drive. 

Tomorrow I am taking the car for a auto testing center for a full physical and computerized checkup and will make a final call. 

I will be happy if I can use this car for 3 to 5 years without major expense. Will be not be using this for off road as I want to make my existing JGC as main off road car (This discussion for another time). 

Two issues that has come to light with LR4 as disclosed by the seller is (he discovered during recent inspections) is that the front bonnet is repainted by first owner (no record of it) and steering oil leak. 

Assuming that no major issues are discovered in tomorrow’s test, what will be your advise based on your experience? 

I am happy with the price (approx 27K). May negotiate it further. The seller has brought down the price during last one week from high 30s. I have so far not negotiated the price  

My main concern is not to get cheated or get a car which has some major flaw or has some major reliability issue. 

Thank you in advance. 

One more thing I am interested is to know if some of you have a good/Positive experience with LR4? 

I absolutely loved the LR4, the drive and ride qualities are simply superb, not to mention road presence. owned one - 2015 model and was so much in love with it that I swapped it for LR Discovery in 2019 which i eventually swapped it for Jeep 😎
Even with all the warranties and maintenance contracts, LR is pricy - i can't imagine owning one without them.

and if you are planning it to be also your ride to the deserts you will be disappointed after newbie level - LR4 is not for the sand (the reason I have a Jeep now!)

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

19 hours ago, Siddick Sait said:

Hi Group Members,

Thank you in advance. 

As mentioned, please stay away. 

• Like (+1) 4

20 hours ago, Siddick Sait said:

Hi Group Members,

Thank you in advance. 

LR4 early models only offered v8 5.0, if it's v6 then it's a LR3 face lifted to LR4's look. 15 to 18 will be ideal cost for a LR3 v6.

Sell JGC and get a Prado LC150 for onroad and offroad 😁😁

• Like (+1) 3
  • Totally Agree (+2) 3

3 hours ago, ASAD. said:

doesn't apply to Toyotas @M.Seidam 😂

Toyota is out of the equation agree 😅

• Like (+1) 4

5 hours ago, Zixuan Huang - Charlie said:

LR4 early models only offered v8 5.0, if it's v6 then it's a LR3 face lifted to LR4's look. 15 to 18 will be ideal cost for a LR3 v6.

Sell JGC and get a Prado LC150 for onroad and offroad 😁😁

I like my JGC. So far it has been very dependable and comfortable. I might keep that for daily drive and look for another for off road plus daily drive. Which year is Prado LC150 and what will be approximate price for it. 

• Like (+1) 1

Hi All,

Thanks for your response. It was very helpful and it helped me in seeing the very obvious

LR + 12 years old + 220K = Money pit.

Thanks @Gaurav for the formula. 

It seems I have two options now:

1. Spend 20 to 30 K and get an off roader which may serve your off roading purpose but which you may not be happy to drive around. Candidates for such option are Pathfinder, Xterra etc. 

or

2. Spend 50 to 80 and get something which will be good off roader and also serve as day to day vehicle. Options are Toyota FJC, Wrangler or even a Pajero. And probably Prado LC150 (not sure price range of LC150).

My need is not only for desert drive but also in Wadees and camping and need ample space to carry stuff.

My current JGC overland with V8 5.7 fits the bill but not confident it will handle regular off roading especially with air suspension. Hopefully I will get some advice during this Saturday newbie drive from @Brette who also drives JGC.

Meanwhile thank you all for your responses. 

• Like (+1) 4