•  
Advertise here

To buy or not to buy LR 4 2010 6 cyl

6 hours ago, Siddick Sait said:

Hi All,

Thanks for your response. It was very helpful and it helped me in seeing the very obvious

LR + 12 years old + 220K = Money pit.

Thanks @Gaurav for the formula. 

It seems I have two options now:

1. Spend 20 to 30 K and get an off roader which may serve your off roading purpose but which you may not be happy to drive around. Candidates for such option are Pathfinder, Xterra etc. 

or

2. Spend 50 to 80 and get something which will be good off roader and also serve as day to day vehicle. Options are Toyota FJC, Wrangler or even a Pajero. And probably Prado LC150 (not sure price range of LC150).

My need is not only for desert drive but also in Wadees and camping and need ample space to carry stuff.

My current JGC overland with V8 5.7 fits the bill but not confident it will handle regular off roading especially with air suspension. Hopefully I will get some advice during this Saturday newbie drive from @Brette who also drives JGC.

Meanwhile thank you all for your responses. 

By offroading and modifying the car you will only find the ride quality getting worse and worse. I would keep the JGC onroad and spend 20 to 30 for a offroad toy, now it's off season, you may find many killer deals. I drive Pathfinder but recommend Xterra offroad version 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

hi @Siddick Sait thanks for your query . I have faced similar dilemma when I started off-roading . I own  V6 JGC and man this car is one of a kind really . I brought  it one time to desert and was the last too when I did my first AN after which I realize to continue it needs some modifications which I didn’t want to do and kept it for the family and maybe the way to Qudra lakes with family . 
then I got eventually my Xterra 2012 as my weekly desert toy and daily rider to the hospital “!dual purpose car “ as I didn’t want to get a third car . I chooses the Xterra because I wanted to keep it as stock as possible to serve the purpose and eventually I got the best of the two worlds . 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1
  • Well Done (+2) 1

45 minutes ago, Zixuan Huang - Charlie said:

By offroading and modifying the car you will only find the ride quality getting worse and worse. I would keep the JGC onroad and spend 20 to 30 for a offroad toy, now it's off season, you may find many killer deals. I drive Pathfinder but recommend Xterra offroad version 

Totally agree with Charlie for saving JGC comfort and reliability for the road than tinkering and modifying for off-road which is another level of money pit until you reach the desired goal.

The second advantage is to split the money into separate offroad toy if that is down after an incident then you still have a road car for office use.

You may find clean Xterra soon in under 20K budget during June - Aug (off-season).

• Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Hi Guys,

Thanks again to your responses. I think I am now seriously considering xterra based on the advise of you all. I have not seen this vehicle yet but it looks spacious. Is there any particular model that I should keep in mind: year, kms, trim? I have seen Xterra with mileage of 200k and 300k and years from 2008 to 2013 plus. 

I am sure that I need to look with the one with 4 L engine (newer ones have 2.x I think) but what about the mileage and year? Also as of now there is none with off road trim. Is off road trim important or I can slowly upgrade as required. I certainly want to make modifications as less as possible or as  absolutely required. 

Regards.