•  
Advertise here

2018 Prado V6 4L vs 2019 Nissan Patrol V6 4L

Good day to all, need some advice please...

The opportunity has come up to  purchase either a 2018 Prado V6 4L or 2019 Nissan Patrol V6 4L, the idea would be to use it for light off roading (sand 70%/ mountain 30%), camping with the family which we love (3 of us...), and my daily driver - short drive to work... Both are really great on road as I have test driven them...

Main question is from an off rad perspective, which is the better all round offroad cabable car? (nothing crazy :)

My concerns are that the Nissan is "heavy" and that the Prado doesn't have a rear diff lock (only centre diff). 

Some perspective would help...

Thanks, 

• Like (+1) 3

The Nissan Patrol Y62 is a lot bigger than the Prado. In the mountains the Patrol is indeed very large and heavy. I would vote for the Prado as it's plenty powerful and has good stock ground clearance.

The lack of a rear diff-lock is really not a big thing, and only a "nice to have" during self recovery in sand. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Totally Agree (+2) 1

"Go as far as you can see; once you get there, you'll be able to see further."

The Y62 Patrol (2019) is 5165mm in length, 1995mm wide, with a 3080mm wheelbase. Unladen weight is 2800 kg.
The Prado (2018) is  4995mm in length, 1885mm wide, with a 2790mm wheelbase. Unladen weight is 2240 kg.

Hence, in almost every component, the Prado is narrower, shorter, with a lower breakover angle. And it is lighter.

For use in the mountains, if you ever find yourself in tight spots, with the addition of flares and side bull-bars, the Prado will still give you some clearance that a Y62 just wont. With a lift kit when you're ready to upgrade your mountain skills, and shorter wheelbase, the Prado also has a lower probability of getting belly rubs. And in the sand, the lighter profile with a nimbler footing will make the Prado easier to maneuver.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

I could see from your profile that your current car is a Fortuner. Will the Prado/Patrol be an additional car or to replace the Fortuner. 

If it is to replace, then Prado will get my vote - based on the reasons given the above by other forum members who are smarter and more experienced than me.

If it is an additional car, then I will vote for Patrol. Simply for the fact that it is a bigger car and different dynamics. 

Most importantly, what is the preference of the missus?

• Like (+1) 4

14 minutes ago, topgear said:

Most importantly, what is the preference of the missus?

Happy wife happy life....... smart way of thinking Hui.

@Theo09 while reading your original post, I was thinking it's Y61 you are comparing for Prado, which was clarified by Fredy and 4.0-liter statement.

In short Y62 - 4.0 Liter vehicle isn't really made for sand, rocks and wadi - AT ALL - Irrespective of countless advertorials and commercials bombarded by Nissan and Arabian automobiles with rhetoric advertising of "Conquer everywhere". It is only meant to conquer office, malls, school runs and traffic jams by leveraging the legendary reputation of Y61. Selling Y62 with a badge of Patrol is a modern-world scam, in my eyes as an ex-patrol owner of Y61.

How do we know, because we see the dark side of Patrol Y62 getting bruised in every single drive and masterclass we do unless and until the driver is super-duper careful in every single descent, which means the driver is sitting on ticking bomb all the time. You go off-road to relax and enjoy than heavily pressurized yourself by sticking your both eyes on the front bumper.

If you wish to do gentle off-roading in the future and nothing very intense, then you can also check Nissan Patrol Super Safari Y61. It may not be as comfy as Y62 and Prado, but it brings a very good balance for a fair share of off-road in sand, rocks, wadi, cross country etc. + good space available than Prado. And no body modification is needed from the stock state as compared to gentle bumper trimming needed in Prado.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

Prado owner here, its been a great car and spends more time off road than on road. The V6 is powerful enough to take the car most places, but i always feel like “a little bit more” would be better. . . . . . I can imagine if the car weighed and extra 500kg (approx difference between patrol and prado) it would not be much fun in the desert.

Regarding rear difflock, centre difflock has been enough for me in the sand, and in the wadis the traction control is more than adequate to help through some more challenging obstacles.

bash plate and bumper trim was more than adequate for fewbie level, and some AT tyres made fewbie plus level more enjoyable!

Hope that helps! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Totally Agree (+2) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1