•  
Advertise here

Tyre Rubbing Advice

Hi all, 

I recently switched from OEM wheels and H/T tyres that usually come on the Pajero 265/60/R18 to 265/70/17. I have a 2 inch lift kit. In my first drive after the upgrade, I noticed that there is rubbing especially when I am steering left and right and descending. I can see parts of the fender liner that rubbed off. What can i do in order to get some more space between the fender and the tyres? 

I am adding here the Pajero experts for advice as well. @Gaurav @Frederic@GauravSoni.

Thanks everyone for the help in advance.

Edited by Mike.
  • Like (+1) 3

3F7E1EAF-04FE-4DAE-9646-1C6A3D076982.jpeg.6bf775ab4cb3858e2fb1d5547aa3ef2c.jpegHey mike! There is a marginal increase 3.6% or 1.1 inches increase in the diameter of the wheel. So shouldn’t affect so much… is it running on the mud flaps or the inner lining … do u see tyre marks on the wheel arch? 
have u used any spacers ?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Well Done (+2) 1

@GauravSoni 
Regarding his tire rubbing the fender inner liners is not because of this 1.2inch dia difference. I suspect it has to do with the setting of the suspension hardness or softness. Most people doesn't know how to do it by themselves whereas its a simple procedure if you ask the technician who fixed the lifted suspension. 

Edited by Thomas Varghese
  • Like (+1) 2

If it's marginal rubbing, only on full turn, you can choose to ignore it, as it won't damage your tire or fenders. I have had the same for the last 12 years in my Pajero and each tire set last 2.5-3 years with regular off-roading.

If it's not on full turn, then some corrective action is needed:

• Widening your wheelbase
    • By spacer
    • By diff wheel offset
  • Lifting a tad more.
    • With spacer
    • With bigger springs by 0.25-0.5 Inch
  • Like (+1) 2

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

hi gents, some pieces of information i forgot to mention is the following: 

- Original tyre width is 7.5 inches, the new sets have a 9" width which i believe is causing the rubbing on full turns on climbs and descends. 

- The offset of the R18 of the Pajero is at +46 and the offset of the new set of tyres installed are 0

@Gaurav, i am following up this message with some pictures as I am not sure which rubbing is marginal and which is not as this is my first rubbing :) If you mean by marginal that it is not hitting all the time then yes I can confirm that especially when I hardened the suspensions a bit during the drive to lessen the impact, a point that @Thomas Varghese mentioned. 

The final verdict i guess is due to the wider rims and the full turn. Pictures to follow now....

E914B2EC-BEAD-40F0-9578-0E95A31D0568.jpeg

A6822E2B-2B49-44F2-9400-349933326F4B.jpeg

68B33CB4-6425-4854-8289-514D90555860.jpeg

7C653DC6-39B4-480D-936D-8C0CA840CE3F.jpeg

856D3A95-5B49-41C8-B077-6970553EDFDC.jpeg

Is the above considered as marginal rubbing ? or should i be worried from your experience guys?

Edited by Mike.
  • Like (+1) 1

There is nothing we can make out from the above pics. Sorry.

Take a pic of showing how much tire is impacting against the fender, along with at what percentage of steering.

What I meant is "ONLY ON FULL TURN" = Marginal, as you will only drive any vehicle at full turn lock for less than 0.1% of the vehicle lifetime. I know I have a full lock turn issue so I steer at 90-95% of steering while making u-turns.

• Like (+1) 1

Let's root for each other & watch each other grow.

2 hours ago, Mike. said:

Original tyre width is 7.5 inches, the new sets have a 9" width which i believe is causing the rubbing on full turns on climbs and descends. 

Didnt you mention that you upgraded your tyre from a 265/60/R18 to a 265/70/R18. In that case the width of the tyre would remain the same. Was the 18 inch rim offset different from the 17inch?

• Like (+1) 2

@Srikumar the tyre width is the same as I upgraded from 265/60/18 to 265/70/17. The original rims however were 7.5” wide and offset +46. The new rims are 9” wide and offset zero 

• Like (+1) 1

OMG some people here are too serious with offroading and go to any length to make their car look like they are going to join paris - dakkar rally the next moment. My head started to spin reading all the technical jargon. A beautiful Pajero is made to look like a dragon and now the dragon has started to show its true colors.  

Edited by Thomas Varghese
  • Like (+1) 1